Defining the UNT Fan Base

KRAM1

Never mind...sigh! If only I would just post cute graphics. All would be well with the world..silly, thought this was a discussion board.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 19

Not even gonna begin to try to justify that post with you. I'll just turn in my fan card now and walk away quietly.

2339_bye.jpg

...that's the point of this thread right? Run off anyone who may vent frustrations?

The season is almost over. No bowl game to play for. We have 1 more game to play at home. The weather will be a consideration for everyone.

But once again, GMG.com is not the venue for this platform. Just about everyone in either of those threads are donors to this program, and their very presence on this forum means they are die-hard fans.

• Upvote 4

2339_bye.jpg

...that's the point of this thread right? Run off anyone who may vent frustrations?

I'll be at the game. My guests cancelled, my regular tailgate looks like it's not happening. I was trying to gauge how I wanted to logistic on Saturday morning, and the best course of action for me personally looks to be to train it up to downtown, liquify at Oak Street/East Side, and shuttle on in to the game all nice and dry-like. I guess that defines the entire UNT fanbase at undedicated or something. Don't know, don't particularly care. I'll do what I want, when I want, where I want, how I want. Them's the perks of being single and middle aged.

• Upvote 2

This thread is a perfect example of the UNT fan base: there always has to be some guy telling you how much of a better fan he is than you.

Still the same I see...I rest my case...yes, you are so much better the fan. Got any Ukraine updates for us?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 17

I'll be at the game. My guests cancelled, my regular tailgate looks like it's not happening. I was trying to gauge how I wanted to logistic on Saturday morning, and the best course of action for me personally looks to be to train it up to downtown, liquify at Oak Street/East Side, and shuttle on in to the game all nice and dry-like. I guess that defines the entire UNT fanbase at undedicated or something. Don't know, don't particularly care. I'll do what I want, when I want, where I want, how I want. Them's the perks of being single and middle aged.

Well, if you were a real quitter, you'd drive over to Frisco, pull up a stool at one of the Chili's, and order a refreshing BudLight instead of giving your money to people who actually support UNT athletics. Step up your quitting game OGS.

• Upvote 2

Well, if you were a real quitter, you'd drive over to Frisco, pull up a stool at one of the Chili's, and order a refreshing BudLight instead of giving your money to people who actually support UNT athletics. Step up your quitting game OGS.

Varsity Club was my old Frisco stompin' grounds. Looks like it just couldn't recover from the whole customer driving home drunk and killing his girlfriend thing, and is no more. I guess it would indeed have to be a Chili's.

Well, "fan" - a person who has a strong interest in or admiration for a particular sport, art form, or famous person: football fans | I'm a fan of this author.

"base" - 2 a conceptual structure or entity on which something draws or depends: the town's economic base collapsed.

• something used as a foundation or starting point for further work; a basis: uses existing data as the base for the study.

• [ with modifier ] a group of people regarded as supporting an organization, for example by buying its products: a client base.

How's that?

Layer your clothing, drink your choice liquor and quit b*tching. This isn't Armageddon and these boys need to feel supported. They bust their ass and need to know that the fan base hasn't given up on them because they feel like some of the staff has. They are defeated. Not you.

Man up, ya Nancys.....

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

What exactly was the point of this thread, Kram?

Well, Christopher, the point was to be an inward look at the UNT fan base....what it thinks it is and what it might really be...lots of talk about "big time" on this board by some very vocal posters....so, what is a big time fan base and how does a big time fan base respond to its team win, lose or draw...good weather bad weather....donation levels, season ticket purchases, etc. like the coach or not, like the AD or not...how does a big time program and its fan base respond to that and how is the UNT fan base response adding up these days? A couple of current threads speak to this very issue. An introspective look so to speak. But, it was more than a little obvious from the first response that the discussion was not going to go that way. It's OK to rag on the coaches, the AD, the BOR, the citizens of Denton, the students, the Chancellor, the President of UNT, and the players, etc., but ask to look in the mirror and discuss the fans part in all this and you get the usual crap-ola about "better fan" and all that. It's OK to call for the student fees to increase, but don't dare talk about maybe the fans stepping up contributions a tad. So, instead of it going downhill fast, I just took it off. As one of our posting friends likes to say "Only at North Texas".

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

Hey there, gang. I just wanted to make a broad, sweeping condemnation of EVERYONE. Nothing PERSONAL, you see.

But then the first guy to respond, who I happened to be tacitly attacking by association through his posts in one of the threads I specifically mentioned... Well, it turns out he actually does donate well above his financial comfort level. Kind of undercuts my whole point, feeble as it was, and it would have gotten the conversation started on entirely the wrong foot. For my purposes, at least.

And even though he actually took a surprising moderate tone, didn't spark an argument, and all-in-all handled it way more politely than was probably deserved... Well, everyone else is way too damn touchy, I've decided.

For 13 minutes, though... I took a bold, strong, principled position on the matter. You could all stand to be a lot more like me, instead of your terrible, terrible selves. And I say that in general, so it applies to ALL of you. Not any one person in particular. Just every one person in aggregate.

See you all again the next time I think I see some high ground I can claim!

Well, Christopher, the point was to be an inward look at the UNT fan base....what it thinks it is and what it might really be...lots of talk about "big time" on this board by some very vocal posters....so, what is a big time fan base and how does a big time fan base respond to its team win, lose or draw...good weather bad weather....donation levels, season ticket purchases, etc. like the coach or not, like the AD or not...how does a big time program and its fan base respond to that and how is the UNT fan base response adding up these days? A couple of current threads speak to this very issue. An introspective look so to speak. But, it was more than a little obvious from the first response that the discussion was not going to go that way. It's OK to rag on the coaches, the AD, the BOR, the citizens of Denton, the students, the Chancellor, the President of UNT, and the players, etc., but ask to look in the mirror and discuss the fans part in all this and you get the usual crap-ola about "better fan" and all that. It's OK to call for the student fees to increase, but don't dare talk about maybe the fans stepping up contributions a tad. So, instead of it going downhill fast, I just took it off. As one of our posting friends likes to say "Only at North Texas".

There should be a casual board for the casual Mean Green fans. Go spew this on that board. Most, if not all, on this board do their fair share of contributions to this university/program. So, IMO, most people on here reserve the right to say whatever they want. If someone on here thinks they are a better fan, let them think it. Let them go to their workplace, restaurants, airports, vacations, etc. with the idea that they are the best fan. They are the ones that will be good ambassadors of this university wherever it is they go. GMG
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

If someone on here thinks they are a better fan, let them think it.

They are the ones that will be good ambassadors of this university wherever it is they go.

Actually, in my experience... People who consider themselves the exemplar of North Texas fandom are the ones most likely to be TERRIBLE ambassadors, and actively repulse the rest of the active and/or potential fan base.