Theoretically:

1) If Mac decides to retire, or the BOR/AD grow big cajones and fire him/reach a split, who would you want to replace him? And if you can't come up with names, what would be some of the attributes you would want to see in a new hire?

2) I think it's clear that Canales and/or Skladany need to go - either through a firing or retiring. Same question in the same situation: who would you want to replace them, and if you don't have names, what attributes would you want to see?

3) Should UNT have a dedicated QBs coach or does the OC/QB combo work well in theory?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

First off, we just can't fire Coach Mccarney. It's not going to happen, and winning seasons have been too hard to come by here. Whether or not you think he will turn this around, last season earned him at least 3 seasons of immunity, in the eyes that matter.

1) Whoever our next coach is, whether it's after Mac retires or is let go, it just needs to be a coach who can connect with recruits and win recruiting battles, but can coach as well. I don't care if he's from high school, college, NFL, junior high, east coast, west coast, has D1 HC experience. It doesn't matter. If you set too many prerequisites for who you're looking for, you might take some good candidates out of the equation.

We need to win recruiting battles. Our best players have not been guys who had Texas or OU offers. They've been guys who had offers from schools like SDSU, Fresno State, Nevada, UTEP, SMU, La Tech, etc. But guys who did have offer lists, nonetheless. Those guys pan out at a higher rate than these guys with no other offers, and are the main players who make up the all-conference teams.

2) As much as we criticize these guys, I'm scared of who they'll be replaced with. Skladany certainly did take a step back, but he just didn't have the chips to work with this year. And no way would Mac hire a coach who would be as "open" as Chico has this offense.

3) No. QB coach/OC is a fine combo. Just hasn't worked because of other factors IMO.

• Upvote 3

Our new DC needs to be aggressive. A younger more firery DC would be able to recruit better also. Skladany is cool, but when he talks it seems as if he has a migraine headache. His time is up and he had a good run.

Imagine a guy like skladany recruiting you vs someone like coach Patrick with fire, NFL experience, and played on a championship team with the U.

Skladany is also keeping Mac with the old school mindset. Best believe they are rubbing off on each other with thier old school buddy mentality. They encourage each other.

Edited by GOMG2013
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

One year ago Mac was "It" - Now he knows nothing?? Come on people try to think rationally before you hit send.

I realize everyone is frustrated/pissed but some of these comments are getting borderline stupid.

Again, not everyone has been on board with this staff.

Again, not everyone.

The long time fans may have fell in love last year bc of desperation for anything positive to happen.

But, again, not all fans have bought in to this coaching staff and rightfully so.

This staff can't recruit, they just can't. It's in the numbers. They struggle to consistently bring in quality recruits with an offer sheet. For whatever reason this staff (Mac) thinks they are developmental Gods. They aren't. We have to recruit at a higher level to right the ship. No amount of development or rah rah chants pre/post game by Mac is going to do it. We have to recruit better. SunBelt teams can't keep taking recruits of worth from us.

Again, not everyone has bought into this staff.

If a new OC and DC aren't on this staff next season Mac should be fired after what will almost certainly be a similar season next year. Why let him drag the program through the mud for an additional season in 2016? Absorb his contract and take the financial blow of a couple seasons if changes aren't made and failure takes place in 2015.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I agree with Billy -- Mac is untouchable. He's earned it and proven that he can lead the team to victory, We love Mac and it hurts to read some of these comments from the fans. This guy was godlike less than a year ago to our fanbase.

Replacing coaches will not fix the problem unless Mac himself is willing to adapt and change. The first step is admitting the system didn't work and needs to be fixed. I listened to his post game interview and to his credit he isn't making excuses like we heard from Dodge... so that is a good sign in my book.

I agree with Billy -- Mac is untouchable. He's earned it and proven that he can lead the team to victory, We love Mac and it hurts to read some of these comments from the fans. This guy was godlike less than a year ago to our fanbase.

Replacing coaches will not fix the problem unless Mac himself is willing to adapt and change. The first step is admitting the system didn't work and needs to be fixed. I listened to his post game interview and to his credit he isn't making excuses like we heard from Dodge... so that is a good sign in my book.

Coaching is results oriented. We shouldn't have been worshiping someone who hasn't even won a division crown, much less a conference title.

To be fair, recruiting picked up this past class, but we still weren't able to land DTs that were 300lbs (beside the late qualifying kid). And QB recruiting has been beyond terrible.

We talked last year about Mac's conservative offensive nature, and how that was fine, as long as he won. He isn't. It isn't fine.

And there is nothing wrong with saying so.

Results.

9-4 without a division crown shouldn't make a coach untouchable. Anywhere. Sometimes I just think this fan base is so tortured they will gobble up any crumb thrown their way and convince themselves they have just had an 8 course meal.

Sad, really.

Edited by UNT90

I have been going through some of the Twitter tweets... I may be reading into them... But it just seems like the coaches have lost this team. They simply do not buy into it all, no? I mean I hear from Mac that the team shows heart and he hasn't seen any give up... But I am just not so sure.

• Upvote 1

I have been going through some of the Twitter tweets... I may be reading into them... But it just seems like the coaches have lost this team. They simply do not buy into it all, no? I mean I hear from Mac that the team shows heart and he hasn't seen any give up... But I am just not so sure.

Might have something to do with the quality choice...The team knows it's a basic vanilla qb...no excitement...thus, no excitement from them...

Should UNT have a dedicated QBs coach or does the OC/QB combo work well in theory?

I'm not sure what this question means. Per NCAA regs, we cannot simply go out and hire a "dedicated QBs coach" on top of the present staff. So an OC is always going to coach some position. And typically, that position is QBs. And yes, it does work well, not only in theory, but also in practice. I mean, Alabama, Oregon, and most of the best teams in the country have an OC who is also the QB coach.

I'm not sure what this question means. Per NCAA regs, we cannot simply go out and hire a "dedicated QBs coach" on top of the present staff. So an OC is always going to coach some position. And typically, that position is QBs. And yes, it does work well, not only in theory, but also in practice. I mean, Alabama, Oregon, and most of the best teams in the country have an OC who is also the QB coach.

This is correct.

We need a new OC, badly.

• Downvote 1