Obviously Dajon did something wrong this week

TheColonyEagle

Also, when you are behind by three/four TDs, you have to throw...and, DW - except against FCS competition - throws too many pick sixes to be trusted.

I also agree with the posters who say DW needs to transfer; I've already said that. And, I gave a list of the FCS/DII schools which need QBs next season. That is his skill level. Greer should consider those schools as well. And, McNulty. None of our "top" three should be on an FBS roster.

And, again, there's no shame in that. A quarterback either has the ability to read defenses, go through progressions, and release the ball quickly and accurately or they don't. McNulty, Greer, and Williams do not have those skill for the FBS level. Each would be fine at an FCS or DII where the competition is slower.

McNulty/Greer yes, DW no. DW is a talented yet raw freshman kid, and he should be getting the developmental reps now that this season is coming to a close. He won't, and will probably disappear because of that. This staff's ability to gauge QB talent is pathetic at best, and that is evidenced by the fact that they stuck with Greer early, and then simply threw him into the garbage heap with zero chance of recovery. The QB position means so much in this game these days, and I put the blame for the offensive ineptitude squarely on the shoulders of the coaching staff. Thanks Mac.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You all obsess over the QB. We don't have any FBS-level QBs on our roster. Go watch a game besides a UNT game. If you think Williams is an FBS-level QB, you simply don't watch or understand football. Giving up 42 points on turnovers against pretty average defenses - Indiana and UAB...that's not even serviceable quarterbacking at the FBS level.

What this team needed in 2014 was for the offensive line to live up to its billing. And, for the six new starter on the defensive front seven to step up. The offensive line was bad. The front seven showed how valuable experience is for a defense...we lacked it, sorely, and our defense was punctured game after game.

Quarterback...we need one that can play FBS-level ball. I hope it's Means.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Yeah, it worked out great for Dodge didnt it.

I swear, It's like this fanbase was given a football lebotomy or something?

Rick

Dodge couldn't score in the red zone, played terrible special teams, didn't make recruiting defensive players a priority, and started with a HS DC. Not exactly the same situation.

• Upvote 1

McNulty/Greer yes, DW no. DW is a talented yet raw freshman kid, and he should be getting the developmental reps now that this season is coming to a close. He won't, and will probably disappear because of that. This staff's ability to gauge QB talent is pathetic at best, and that is evidenced by the fact that they stuck with Greer early, and then simply threw him into the garbage heap with zero chance of recovery. The QB position means so much in this game these days, and I put the blame for the offensive ineptitude squarely on the shoulders of the coaching staff. Thanks Mac.

I don't think it's Mac as much as it is Canales. He's the OC, calls the plays, and is also QBs coach. Mac is a defensive-minded coach so probably gives a lot of lattitude to Chico. Canales deserves the lions share of the blame for the poor performance of the offense.

• Upvote 3

Dodge couldn't score in the red zone, played terrible special teams, didn't make recruiting defensive players a priority, and started with a HS DC. Not exactly the same situation.

Dodge started with a high school everything, and most didn't even bitch about the on the job training until the losses came rolling in. This situation is totally different.

Oh,....that's right, I was thinking it was a Dodge coached team that was able to get an option-run trained QB named Danny Meager to set our single game passing record.

...or lose a game to Navy after still scoring 60 something points?

....or the offense that allowed a true freshman QB to tie the national record for most TD's in a single game in that Navy game?

....and all the other offensive accolades that were put up from 2007 thru 2010?

Gee, what was I thinking?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Greer and McNulty have college-level experience and should be able to do better.

Dajon is a redshirt freshman with limited game time so he's going to make mistakes. But lets see if he's able to correct those mistakes rather than banish him while persisting with a clearly inferior player instead of him.

I hope that Dajon goes away this off season, puts his work in, and is given an opportunity by this staff to prove himself.

Unfortunately I think that Mac has already decided he doesn't like Dajon personally, let alone as a football player, so Mac isn't going to let Dajon sniff the field again. Which is a shame and is as much on the coach as it is the player.

Hard to put in the work when you're never going to be given an opportunity to prove yourself.

Good God dude.

DW was given the team. Literally. He didn't earn it because he didn't put in the work to earn it, despite having the most raw talent.

But he was given (stress given) the job. For 3 games. He was a turnover machine against a conference foe. He was getting worse, not better.

Look, I wish DW was playing, also, but to say he wasn't given a chance by this coaching staff is rewriting history. If he had performed, he would still be on the field today.

There are a lot of reasons to be upset with this staff, and Canales especially (terrible QB talent evaluations is enough, but there is more), but not giving DW a shot isn't one of them.

I mostly agree with TFLF about our QB situation, with the caveat that DW does indeed have the physical tools to be an FBS QB, but appears to lack so many of the other things that are absolutely required to succeed as an FBS QB.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 6

Oh,....that's right, I was thinking it was a Dodge coached team that was able to get an option-run trained QB named Danny Meager to set our single game passing record.

...or lose a game to Navy after still scoring 60 something points?

....or the offense that allowed a true freshman QB to tie the national record for most TD's in a single game in that Navy game?

....and all the other offensive accolades that were put up from 2007 thru 2010?

Gee, what was I thinking?

Rick

How many of Meager's and Vizza's passes occured in the red zone? How many stalled red zone drives led to blocked field goals in that era? I guess you like to forget that part. SMU was a piss poor team when Meager put up those numbers and Bennett got fired that season. Also, for your Navy retort, they don't exactly run a typical offense over there, that game could be considered an anomaly for our purposes.

Good God dude.

DW was given the team. Literally. He didn't earn it because he didn't put in the work to earn it, despite having the most raw talent.

But he was given (stress given) the job. For 3 games. He was a turnover machine against a conference foe. He was getting worse, not better.

Look, I wish DW was playing, also, but to say he wasn't given a chance by this coaching staff is rewriting history. If he had performed, he would still be on the field today.

There are a lot of reasons to be upset with this staff, and Canales especially (terrible QB talent evaluations is enough, but there is more), but not giving DW a shot isn't one of them.

I mostly agree with TFLF about our QB situation, with the caveat that DW does indeed have the physical tools to be an FBS QB, but appears to lack so many of the other things that are absolutely required to succeed as an FBS QB.

You work with what we have. Right now, unless we burn the redshirt on Means, we have Greer, McNulty, and Williams.

Greer never got going against Texas, and with his confidence shot, took the offense no where against LaTech after getting a major assist on ST and DEF to win against SMU.

Williams had the start against Nicholls and flashed his potential, had a reasonable game against Indiana, then stunk it up against UAB: both meaningful games were on the road, and especially against UAB, was given play calls that didn't suit him. The issue I have is that he wasn't given the opportunity to bounce back and prove himself after the UAB disaster.

So Mac went with McNulty. He didn't turn the ball over but also struggled to move the offense, but not as much as Greer. Even then he still gave games away either by not converting scoring opportunities (USM) or throwing pick-sixes (Rice). He somehow managed to squeak out a win against FAU, but that was with a heavy helping of the run game. Mac also conveniently ignores the numerous dropped INTs McNulty would have if opposing DBs could hold on to the ball. He's not the clean player he appears to be statistically and he also takes far too many sacks because he holds on to the ball rather than at a minimum throwing it away - probably because he's in the middle of the field and he doesn't trust his arm strength to clear the sideline.

When I talk of opportunity I'm talking about a chance to redeem himself from the poor decision making that plagued the UAB game - the main game where it was obvious he was struggling. I'm not talking about the opportunity to start and lead the team. Williams had that chance, but for whatever reason, struggled as you'd expect a redshirt freshman to struggle on the road hamstrung by poor playcalling.

Let Williams start the remaining three games of the year. He can't do worse than McNulty and with our sieve of a defense we need at least some hope on offense that we're a threat to score points.

• Upvote 2

How many of Meager's and Vizza's passes occured in the red zone? How many stalled red zone drives led to blocked field goals in that era? I guess you like to forget that part. SMU was a piss poor team when Meager put up those numbers and Bennett got fired that season. Also, for your Navy retort, they don't exactly run a typical offense over there, that game could be considered an anomaly for our purposes.

I guess you forget defenses win championships, which a championship is all that matters?

You gotta get to the redzone somehow before you score in it and Dodge's first four years of offense hovered around an average of 50th best at getting there, with the best year being (2009) ranking in at 36th, averaging 400 yards and 27 points a game. This is what drove the man, all the while forgetting defense and special teams. His first year, I forgot at which point it was, his defense was giving up an average of 55 points a game.

But for that best offensive year our record was a pitiful 2-10. But why the 2-10 record if we could move the ball so well? Because we had the 97th worst defense giving up 36(112th) points a game, giving up over 412 total yards a game including 195(104th) yards average on the ground.

Last year we averaged 31 points per game(49th). But we had the 8th best scoring defense in the nation. That defense held Georgia in check most of the game and is what put us in position for a chance at a championship and then got us a bowl win.

This year our offense ranks 66th, but our scoring defense has dropped to 91st.

A drop of 83 positions in rank by our defense' ability to keep

the other guy from scoring from last year to this is why we are facing 3-9 square in the face.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

You work with what we have. Right now, unless we burn the redshirt on Means, we have Greer, McNulty, and Williams.

Greer never got going against Texas, and with his confidence shot, took the offense no where against LaTech after getting a major assist on ST and DEF to win against SMU.

Williams had the start against Nicholls and flashed his potential, had a reasonable game against Indiana, then stunk it up against UAB: both meaningful games were on the road, and especially against UAB, was given play calls that didn't suit him. The issue I have is that he wasn't given the opportunity to bounce back and prove himself after the UAB disaster.

So Mac went with McNulty. He didn't turn the ball over but also struggled to move the offense, but not as much as Greer. Even then he still gave games away either by not converting scoring opportunities (USM) or throwing pick-sixes (Rice). He somehow managed to squeak out a win against FAU, but that was with a heavy helping of the run game. Mac also conveniently ignores the numerous dropped INTs McNulty would have if opposing DBs could hold on to the ball. He's not the clean player he appears to be statistically and he also takes far too many sacks because he holds on to the ball rather than at a minimum throwing it away - probably because he's in the middle of the field and he doesn't trust his arm strength to clear the sideline.

When I talk of opportunity I'm talking about a chance to redeem himself from the poor decision making that plagued the UAB game - the main game where it was obvious he was struggling. I'm not talking about the opportunity to start and lead the team. Williams had that chance, but for whatever reason, struggled as you'd expect a redshirt freshman to struggle on the road hamstrung by poor playcalling.

Let Williams start the remaining three games of the year. He can't do worse than McNulty and with our sieve of a defense we need at least some hope on offense that we're a threat to score points.

Hate to burst your bubble, but we are not bowl eligilble so that third game is not going to happen.

For those saying that Williams and Greer need to transfer, that will leave us with only one QB on the roster with experience next season. We have Means and Chumley coming in next year, and we've already told Riddle not to bother. Sounds to me like we need all of the Q S on the roster we can get.

Ok so we don't put Williams in yesterday, why not give Greer another chance? What is the worst that would've happened, we continue getting blown out?

• Upvote 1