The Indiana Game - Dec. 29th

Just curious; How many tickets do the long-time Mean Green Hoops Fans think this game will sell. Bracey will draw, the name INDIANA will draw, but the students are away on Christmas break, and there are lots of local HS basketball tourneys going on at the same time. Besides inviting friends, neighbors, relatives and the homeless, any other ideas what we can do to help? Anybody know yet what the UNT Ticket office is planning on doing to do to sell the game?

• 2 weeks later...

I hope the UNT Alumni office is on this, as there is a tremendous amount of $$$ to be made here, not to mention very positive PR for UNT Hoops. Please, hold a pre-game mixer / rally / concert, something to attract all DFW alums and area students to the game. Has anyone heard anything from the athletic marketing or sales departments regarding something / ANYTHING? I'd hate to see this opportunity wasted due to non-existant planning or trying too to do much too late.

The Ath. DEpt. has invited Mark Cuban to the game. With Bracey Wright from The Colony playing for IU, should be a pretty good crowd.

Seriously? I suggested we take Mark Cuban as a guest of the university once I found out we had the million dollar bus.

Whichever athletic employee that read my idea and went after it can just leave floor seats for me for that game as thanks. wink.gif

No we sold out in the 70's during our top 25 year once or twice.

We may have had a couple games that we technically considered "sold out", but I don't ever remember seeing a game with no empty seats or hearing that ticket windows were closed and someone wanting to buy a ticket couldn't at the door.

At first glance I thought this game would be an easy sell out, also. But with the students being away for Christmas break, holiday travel / vacation, etc., maybe it's not quite such a sure thing. SMU is out of town, , the Mavs don't play that night, TCU is home vs Grambling, but that shouldn't hurt much.

I think if all the Mean Green BBall backers out there start talking it up now to all of their BBall fan friends to get their tickets early the sell out could happen. THe key is to get tickets sold early. That then creates the urgency for others to buy. It would be nice, and a great shot in hte arm for the UNT program.

Heck, lets start a campaign to get DALE HANSEN up here - send the Big Green $$$ Bus to pick up him & his crew, let him do the 10:00 sports live from The Pit, and send him home with a meal & a beer!

Is it NCAA-legal to send flyers / posters promoting the game to all metroplex HS basketball coaches to put up in their schools / gyms? I'm sure some UNT Alum printer might donate those for the cause...

Any other ideas to promote the game? Post 'em here - Let's help get this thing done.

You're right, Newy at channel 5 would be much better & more fun! Plus, he'd play up the game during happy-talk at 5, 6, and 10 for a week.

Let's talk up any and all ideas at the exhib. game tonight with any UNT administrator we see. Hank D.seems to be open for most anything, probably Ricky V. too.

Anybody know who is on the opposing roster toningt?

Point of information. The SuperPit was a solid sell out once. It was the SMU game in the late 70's. Blakeley was the coach and Weasel Johnson was the point guard. SMU had announced just prior to that game that they would not renew the contract to play North Texas and the student section had a huge sign saying 'Paint Sonny Yellow'. Back to the crowd, it was so crowded that the fire marshal refused to let anyone else in. Late arrivals to the game had to park in the parking lot on the press box side of the football stadium. North Texas won the game in a walk.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not know what the capacity of your arena is, but I do know that you get basically every IU alum that lives within a couple of hours of the Metroplex to that game. I am in grad school at Indiana, and they, um, really like basketball up here. I imagine you will have folks coming down from Oklahoma City, up from Austin, etc. It could sell out based on that alone, but I am sure that is not what UNT fans will want to see.

I do not know what the capacity of your arena is, but I do know that you get basically every IU alum that lives within a couple of hours of the Metroplex to that game.  I am in grad school at Indiana, and they, um, really like basketball up here.  I imagine you will have folks coming down from Oklahoma City, up from Austin, etc.  It could sell out based on that alone, but I am sure that is not what UNT fans will want to see.

Why would we not want to see it sell out?

Capacity is about 10,500.