UNT15

i don't...but i don't want the school to get big time...i like the size...i like the accessibility...i like what we have...grass for me is greener where it's at...

I don't know. I've been to games at schools where the stadium is full, where it's 50k to 100k fans all cheering for their team. It's infectious. Everything is in place for UNT to do that. For whatever reason, it hasn't. And honestly, it may never. I'm fine with it either way. But I'd love to stand inside a stadium alongside 50k+ Mean Green fans a couple times each fall. I'd enjoy the feelings of pride associated with it. And I fully understand that once something like that happens, the top brass is less tangible. And that's okay with me.

• Upvote 5

This is my fear. I had hoped for a time that [turns sarcasm on] since RV is so great [off], he would get and take a job offer at a better funded school. That hasn't happened, though. In the back of my mind, I always wondered if the next guy the BOR puts in place would make us wish for him back.

However, I'd rather try and fail than never try at all.

I think RV has accomplished some swell things here in Denton, but he's done what he's capable of doing; it's time for a visionary to get a chance to take us to the next level. The longer he keeps his current position, the more we stagnate

I don't think you'll find an AD that is more of a visionary than RV

i don't...but i don't want the school to get big time...i like the size...i like the accessibility...i like what we have...grass for me is greener where it's at...

Grass is green enough for me too. Doesn't mean I don't want success cause I do, but I like who we are and enjoy what our athletic department provides.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Just one caveat for everyone to consider. There was a remark on one of these many threads about the AD keeping the fans at arm's length. My other alma mater brought in an AD from Stanford. The guy has really turned the corner on the entire athletic department. Everybody's winning. Big. Lots and lots of post season appearances, lots and lots of post season wins, even a few national championships.

Groovy, right? Yeah, except the culture now is seven unrestricted figures or GTFO. You think the AD keeps the fans at arm's length now, just wait until someone comes along who turns athletics into a wild success across the board. The commoner fan will be lucky to hitchhike to the remains of the demolished Fouts Field parking lot.

Agree, disagree, like, dislike, have personal fondness for, loathe, whatever floats your boat and propels you spinners. This is one of the most accessible athletic departments from top to bottom donor that exists in the nation.

Consequences of winning. I'd love to have them here.

• Upvote 5

Just one caveat for everyone to consider. There was a remark on one of these many threads about the AD keeping the fans at arm's length. My other alma mater brought in an AD from Stanford. The guy has really turned the corner on the entire athletic department. Everybody's winning. Big. Lots and lots of post season appearances, lots and lots of post season wins, even a few national championships.

Groovy, right? Yeah, except the culture now is seven unrestricted figures or GTFO. You think the AD keeps the fans at arm's length now, just wait until someone comes along who turns athletics into a wild success across the board. The commoner fan will be lucky to hitchhike to the remains of the demolished Fouts Field parking lot.

Agree, disagree, like, dislike, have personal fondness for, loathe, whatever floats your boat and propels you spinners. This is one of the most accessible athletic departments from top to bottom donor that exists in the nation.

I tell you what--I'll take this situation that your alma mater is in and I will never talk to anyone from the AD ever again, nor will I even complain when I have to pay $100 bucks for an end zone seat at Apogee for a home game against a P5 team we are in a conference with. Ill try not to celebrate those championships too much, since I won't get to ever talk to the ADs people ever again, knowing full well that we will have joined the ranks of fans at Texas, OU, LSU, etc...that don't know their ADs at all unless they are millionaires and give substantially to their program. I'll go ahead and try this new scenario you've described, you know, just to see if I like it or not...

• Upvote 6

Consequences of winning. I'd love to have them here.

Except you'd likely get priced out of your seats eventually. You *only* need to be at the $500 MGC level to get onto the Club level after you pay off your seat license fees. The Club level is grossly under priced. Those really should command a starting level of $2500 a year in MGC dues.

Will it matter or not in this caveat if you invested in new concrete and bleachers thrown up and still looked upon as a difficult place to recruit to?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I could not answer the poll and kinda felt dirty for being asked, This board gets to me so much sometimes I wonder why I read it. I do like the news about the team even the bad news but the "End of the world Fox News" stuff is getting to me.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

Except you'd likely get priced out of your seats eventually. You *only* need to be at the $500 MGC level to get onto the Club level after you pay off your seat license fees. The Club level is grossly under priced. Those really should command a starting level of $2500 a year in MGC dues.

Except I could then sell one or two games of club seats to completely pay for the whole season.

So I would actually pay less.

See how that works?

• Upvote 1

[quote name="oldguystudent" post="877665" timestamp="1415904662

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Yep. So very many here do not get this point. Probably because they have experienced no other programs first hand. Having done so certainly gives one a bit of perspective. Try being a small-ish donor at the p5's and wanting to chat with the AD or to get him/her to give a rip what you have to say. Heard a AD staffer at one of my other schools talking about a recent campaign...he actually said "we filled in the rest with the smaller $5,000,000 donations". Yep...$5,000,000 was referenced as a "smaller" donation. Only in P5 athletics be considered a "smaller" level of donation!

Like I said...a little perspective helps.

If it means I don't have to see coaches retained when they fail miserably, don't have to see contracts with SMU celebrated as a major accomplishment and never have to throw up in my mouth a little when a homecoming crowd of 21,000 is referred to as "pretty decent" then I'm onboard with ZERO access to the AD staffers. I'll gladly take my measly MGC donation over to the Fouts lot and tailgate there. I'll be ecstatic to sit in the wingzone.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Will it matter or not in this caveat if you invested in new concrete and bleachers thrown up and still looked upon as a difficult place to recruit to?

Rick

It doesn't help the fanbase and donors to feel needed when the head coach of the boring 2-6 team says the school is a hard place to recruit to....Yes, the school with the beautiful new stadium in the middle of the top recruiting area in the country, that one.

I would absolutely trade friendliness by the Athletic Department for winning programs, national championships and competent coaches. I predict all three major sports at NT will have losing seasons this school year...again. Other than a Bowl, name the last post-season or playoff win for a major sport here? There should be term limits on Athletic Dept employees.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

No doubt RV has done some good things at UNT, has taken credit for things that were not his doing, and he has made many mistakes some very big. I like RV, but I would like to see a shake up. Not as a knock on RV but more as I think 14+ years at UNT is enough and we need some new blood or fire to continue to move forward.

No doubt RV has done some good things at UNT, has taken credit for things that were not his doing, and he has made many mistakes some very big. I like RV, but I would like to see a shake up. Not as a knock on RV but more as I think 14+ years at UNT is enough and we need some new blood or fire to continue to move forward.

This.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Actually the best option is not even listed in the poll and that would be for RV to resign thereby freeing the University from the heavy financial burden created with firing him.

We desperately need a change. A new spirit and new direction. New ideas. The whole atmosphere within the AD is stale. What a shame we haven't even sold out Apogee during its first 4 years. What are those season ticket numbers?

Unless RV mismanaged his 401 he should have more than enough to comfortably retire on negating any need to force the University to fulfill the remainder of his contract. A win/win for all.

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 3

If it means I don't have to see coaches retained when they fail miserably, don't have to see contracts with SMU celebrated as a major accomplishment and never have to throw up in my mouth a little when a homecoming crowd of 21,000 is referred to as "pretty decent" then I'm onboard with ZERO access to the AD staffers. I'll gladly take my measly MGC donation over to the Fouts lot and tailgate there. I'll be ecstatic to sit in the wingzone.

Don't see a problem at all with your comments...just be prepared for a much larger required donation for seats...MUCH larger and many many less "extras"... Unless, of course, you are of the $2500 donation per year PER seat type plus the cost of the tickets to park in Fouts and sit in that wing.

Folks, UNT is not in a P5 Conference and, if one is realistic, is not in a position with its support levels to be in one in any of our lifetimes unless someone hits the MegaLottery and ponies it all up. The small level of fan financial support for this program is what is embarrassing. The varied, creative and numerous fan excuses as to why they do not donate or why they won't buy season tickets is even more embarrassing. Took Oklahoma State a lot of years to break through this same situation with its fans and donors, but it did and has made great progress in recent years. And, if you think it is all Boone Pickens you are sadly...very sadly mistaken. Check the names on many of the new facilities (such as the beautiful new indoor practice facility) at OSU...it isn't Boone. The foundation gave me a list of donors by level during a recent visit....well, donors starting at...starting....at the $1000 level. To say I was stunned would be an understatement. What was also interesting was the number of years these folks have been donating....through the good and bad years without break.

Point being, it will take UNT a good many years to break the mindset of "let someone else do it, I don't like the coach or AD" attitude. It has to be about UNT not the coaches and/or administrators. Another point is that UNT is making positive progress. The old attitudes so often displayed here are on the way out with the younger generation of students. We see it all over the campus and through the Alumni Association and to a lesser degree with athletics, but a positive change none the less. UNT is not a swift Coast Guard cutter, but rather an outdated WWII battleship....it takes a long time to turn this ship and it takes a full crew doing their part....but slowly turning it is and that is a very good thing indeed.

Go Mean Green...beat UTEP!

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

Unless RV mismanaged his 401 he should have more than enough to comfortably retire on negating any need to force the University to fulfill the remainder of his contract. A win/win for all.

More Meangreenbob and Associates financial planning, please. Corporate donation?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

So it appears some would rather lose and have access to the AD than win and not have access. To them, I pose some simple questions:

Why do you need access to the AD?

Why should $500 every year give you the right to take up valuable time that could be used, oh, I don't know, figuring out how to schedule football games.

What tangible change or action has ever come from your self-important meeting with the AD?

I long for the day where the UNT AD doesn't talk to anyone who doesn't donate 6 figures a year.

Get over your self-important selves. Realize RV is rolling his eyes the moment you turn the corner to leave his office.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

So it appears some would rather lose and have access to the AD than win and not have access. To them, I pose some simple questions:

Why do you need access to the AD?

Why should $500 every year give you the right to take up valuable time that could be used, oh, I don't know, figuring out how to schedule football games.

What tangible change or action has ever come from your self-important meeting with the AD?

I long for the day where the UNT AD doesn't talk to anyone who doesn't donate 6 figures a year.

Get over your self-important selves. Realize RV is rolling his eyes the moment you turn the corner to leave his office.

Just to be clear, I was referencing what somebody else said. My own personal concern is that the annual gift requirements and ticket prices of the club seats skyrocket out of my range, and then I'm out my stadium donation and sitting with the likes of Thor and company. My god. I just don't think I could do it.

• Upvote 3

Other than a Bowl, name the last post-season or playoff win for a major sport here?

Well, if you can't count Bowls, then football would never be counted.

That only leaves mens and womens basketball as major sports. Obviously neither has ever advanced past the opening game in the NCAA's. I think the men may have advanced in the old pre-DI basketball playoffs (I think it was called "small school" or something) in the 30's once.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1