UNT finalizing deal that with Incarnate Word for game in 2018

Harry

I see no problem scheduling an FCS every year, to neutralize the money games we will inevitably play every year.

I wish we'd never schedule another lower-level opponent. Who cares if we beat Nicholls 77-3 or 277-3? Did it help us prepare for and beat UAB? No, just a false sense of achievement.

If we're going to play Big-boy football let's play Big-boy opponents. Some on here want to drop to FCS level and schedule D-II schools. I'd rather lose to a uT every year 38-7 than blowout some lame FCS school to try and achieve a fake 6 meaningful wins.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

I wish we'd never schedule another lower-level opponent. Who cares if we beat Nicholls 77-3 or 277-3? Did it help us prepare for and beat UAB? No, just a false sense of achievement.

If we're going to play Big-boy football let's play Big-boy opponents. Some on here want to drop to FCS level and schedule D-II schools. I'd rather lose to a uT every year 38-7 than blowout some lame FCS school to try and achieve a fake 6 meaningful wins.

Ole Miss and Miss State, both big boys, played FCS teams last weekend. If it is good enough for the best conference in college football and top ten teams, it is good enough for me.

• Upvote 4

Ole Miss and Miss State, both big boys, played FCS teams last weekend. If it is good enough for the best conference in college football and top ten teams, it is good enough for me.

When UNT joins the SEC then we can schedule the lame FCS team you all want to see as a schedule breather, but in CUSA we have FIU and FAU for that.

• Downvote 4

When UNT joins the SEC then we can schedule the lame FCS team you all want to see as a schedule breather, but in CUSA we have FIU and FAU for that.

The post was that we need to be like the big boys and that is what the big boys do. Also, both of the F_U schools are in the east, so we don't play them on a regular basis.

• Upvote 1

The post was that we need to be like the big boys and that is what the big boys do. Also, both of the F_U schools are in the east, so we don't play them on a regular basis.

No, the post was that UNT signed up to play FBS football, so let's play them, not FCS teams.

SEC schools have 7-8 home games and a very demanding conference schedule, unlike in CUSA (duh). The FCS games, being eliminated by many P5 programs in the future because of strength-of-schedule issues for playoff purposes (ie Baylor), are currently used as a scrimmage (rest) week for them.

Their crowds will come regardless of opponent. UNT does not have that luxury of a sell-out regardless of opponent, nor of needing the rest week from our CUSA schedule.

Dumb it down and call it what you want, but that pig with lipstick is still not what we should be playing.

• Downvote 3

The thing it seems a few people on here are doing is acting as if these FCS games are in place of home and homes or money games. They're not.

Here's the OOC schedule template:

- 1 money game (away)

- 2 home and homes (1 away, 1 at home each year)

- 1 highly probably win (home against most likely an FCS)

You don't have to choose between whipping up on an FCS or taking an annual tail-whipping from a national power. We're likely going to get both. And these hypothetical home and home opponents we are talking about are not getting their spot taken by Incarnate Word. They got their spot on our schedule taken by SMU and Army.

In order to get OOC home games it either needs to be a home and home or we need to pay an opponent to come here for 1 game. We aren't going to get FBS opponents to come in here for 1 game when they can get twice as much to play a power program. The only reason we got Idaho last year was because they had 12 OOC games last year, as an independent for one season. And they got left out after the WAC disbanded, so they needed games.

So if you want to add another money/bodybag game instead of paying to bring an FCS in, then you're looking at a 5-game home schedule.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3

I'll be the first to tell you that I'd take a 5 game home schedule right now if we get BYU, KU, K-State, Mizzou, Colorado, Utah, or another B1G team here instead of us playing 6 home games with one of them being a FCS school. No way I'll ever go watch Incarnate Word play us, just like I wouldn't go watch the Nicholls State game or the Texas Southern game. My time is more valuable

with my family or friends than to watch a FBS/FCS game. I promise you all that way more people feel this way about UNT football than the diehards on here.

For those that think this is the way K-State did it, you are missing one small bit of information--they had conference opponents to draw people out to their games, which made up for their OOC games

against the Sisters of the Poor in Manhattan. When you had Nebraska, OU, Colorado, KU, Mizzou, Iowa State, and OSU every year to play in conference, you can take the hit on buying a few wins. When your conference mates are SBCUSA schools, you don't get that lucky. Your revenues aren't ever going to be anything special

unless you whore yourself out to P5 giants, which we always do.

I've always said that we should go after games

with BYU, Okie State, Mizzou, Colorado, KSU, KU, and even Nebraska at Jerry World or the Cotton Bowl. Tech will never come here, nor will Baylor. Texas, OU, Arkansas, and A&M because of the JerryWorld games and the TCU/SMU SWC relationship. Won't ever happen. UH would be nice, too, to get a series with, but I'm not sure how open they are to that right now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What about Alabama-Huntsville?

I don't think they have a football team yet. But, they have hockey.

I dated a gal from Huntsville for a couple of year. Sweet and Southern.

Very interesting city, if you can find a reason to visit it. Nice people, too. Within reasonable driving distance to Nashville, Chattanooga, and Atlanta. I highly recommend a visit to Huntsville.

The thing it seems a few people on here are doing is acting as if these FCS games are in place of home and homes or money games. They're not.

Here's the OOC schedule template:

- 1 money game (away)

- 2 home and homes (1 away, 1 at home each year)

- 1 highly probably win (home against most likely an FCS)

So if you want to add another money/bodybag game instead of paying to bring an FCS in, then you're looking at a 5-game home schedule.

The goal is to have a minimum 6 home games. The problem causing the imbalance in the schedule is the single away money game vs P5 school. The current template is to balance with a single home game vs FCS opponent (or buy game like Idaho) in the same year.

However, we should instead go after 2-1 deals with P5 schools instead of the 1-0 single away game every season in the current model. That would cut the imbalance to every other year instead of every year.

• Downvote 2

I see this as two separate issues. On the one hand, I have no problem with bringing in a beatable opponent at a reasonable price. The separate issue that UNT90 and others are beating the drum about is bringing in a name opponent who will help us to sell out Apogee and bring a lot of the fence sitters to the game. I agree with this in principle. The response that I have gotten from RV on this is that it takes money to get a Oklahoma State or that type of school to come here. If we were selling out Apogee on a consistent basis or had 10K in the Mean Green Club etc that would provide the AD with the resources to make games like that happen. I think the flaw in that argument is why do other C-USA and Belt programs with lessor resources than ours seem to be able to make it happen.

As a side note, I really do think two things have hurt us in regards to being attractive to the bigger programs wanting to have a game in DFW... the biggest being that Jerry World has become the mecca for schools like LSU and Arkansas to come and get metroplex exposure. I think I read that the Hogs are considering dropping their every game a year in Little Rock because they get more value from playing a game at Jerry World. Secondly, TCU moving to the Big 12 now gives all the Big 12 teams a visit to the metroplex. OU and Texas have the Red River game still in Dallas so what team left from a big conference would see Denton as an attractive game for recruiting or otherwise?

Seriously I pose this question to UNT90, Ben Gooding and the others who keep beating this scheduling drum -- please identify your top 5 teams which you would like us to get a home and home series with? I think if you do that you will find it is not as easy a sell as you think.

ULM is in Bumcrap Monroe and has gotten many a big name to their stadium. I don't believe anything RV says anymore. He came on your podcast and said Benford's first team just wasn't that talented. Of course, his own AD advertised that team pre-season as the most talented team in UNT history. He will say whatever sounds good at the time and takes the blame off him. He is even willing to put that blame on 19 and 20 year old kids. For a hire he made. It is getting to a point where you really can't believe anything he says.

As far as top 5 schools I want to come here, I really don't have a list. Pay me RV's salary and I'll get to work on it.

The bigger issue is filling future schedules with OOC away ganes without balancing it with home games. It looks like his big solution is to buy FCS teams, which leads to a terrible schedule for fans year in and year out.

Of course, it isn't very hard to do, so I guess it lightens the old work load.

RV said on your podcast he was working on a one and one with a P5. Still no news on that?

It comes down to other, lesser programs scheduling much better than UNT. Any thing other than fixing the problem is nothing but excuse making, something that is just so UNT.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I am tired of # of MGC members being used as an excuse AND NEVER AS A RESPONSIBILITY.

Oh there isn't 10k of them? How many of them are there? How has that number changed over the last ten years? We might as well ask China for their nuclear codes, it's such a state secret.

The only conclusion I can reach is that MGC and season ticket holder info is not released because it's a huge embarrassment. Not the overall number, the growth in the overall number.

Goes along with the excuse making that has become so common from this AD. Nothing is ever their fault. They are a victim of circumstances which they are powerless to change.

Yada yada yada.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We already know what ULM has done so no need listing that again. But let's look at two other competitors.

In three years UTSA has brought in...

Oklahoma State

Houston

Arizona

New Mexico

In the next four years they will host..

Kansas State

Arizona State

Colorado State

Baylor

In three years Texas State has managed to host.

Wyoming

Texas Tech

Nevada.

Navy

In 2016 they host Houston.

So outside of Texas State being located in the heart of God's country and has bikinis floating across their campus 5 months out of the year there's no advantage that I can see that any of these schools have over North Texas except in ACCOUNTABILITY and EFFORT, two things we certainly can control.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

They're in San Antonio, where there's been no CFB presence outside of the Alamo Bowl. We're in DFW, where it's absolutely saturated with three or four annual neutral site games and several bowl games in addition to the three division one college football teams that already play football in the area.

I think that's significant.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

They're in San Antonio, where there's been no CFB presence outside of the Alamo Bowl. We're in DFW, where it's absolutely saturated with three or four annual neutral site games and several bowl games in addition to the three division one college football teams that already play football in the area.

I think that's significant.

And they have no facilities or history to offer. No reason we cannot out-schedule them considering we have a 110 year head start, new facilities, easy access to DFW airport..etc.

But hey, we can't even out schedule crappy ULM in nowhere Monroe Louisina, so naturally the effort Texas State and UTSA puts fourth is going to surpass us. So let's ride the excuse train back to FCSdom.

Rick

• Upvote 1

So easy to just make excuses, isn't it?

It isn't an excuse. People are asking why UTSA is able to schedule so many of the programs we'd like to play. Their location has to be considered. The only reason UTSA is IN C-USA in the first place is because of their location/market. It stands to reason said location is also attractive to programs that want a win and would like to do so in front of Central Texas recruits. This is logic. Not an excuse.

Again, a bunch of -1's from people who don't understand there's more to it than Rick picking up the phone and telling Colorado State to be ready for a home and home in 2019.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

And they have no facilities or history to offer. No reason we cannot out-schedule them considering we have a 110 year head start, new facilities, easy access to DFW airport..etc.

But hey, we can't even out schedule crappy ULM in nowhere Monroe Louisina, so naturally the effort Texas State and UTSA puts fourth is going to surpass us. So let's ride the excuse train back to FCSdom.

Rick

I was simply trying to offer an explanation as to why UTSA is an attractive place to play. Your post seems to be incredibly dramatic by comparison.

• Upvote 1

It isn't an excuse. People are asking why UTSA is able to schedule so many of the programs we'd like to play. Their location has to be considered. The only reason UTSA is IN C-USA in the first place is because of their location/market. It stands to reason said location is also attractive to programs that want a win and would like to do so in front of Central Texas recruits. This is logic. Not an excuse.

Again, a bunch of -1's from people who don't understand there's more to it than Rick picking up the phone and telling Colorado State to be ready for a home and home in 2019.

But yet SMU is able to get home and home while being in the exact same position as UNT.

Explain that away, please?

Also, ULM, which is in a far worse position than UNT.

Maybe their ADs work harder and are better negotiators?

Just a thought.

There is absolutely zero excuse for the home scheduled that has happened since Apogee opened.

There is zero excuse for a 5 home game season (maybe, because currently we only have 4 home games scheduled) next year.

The absolute worse thing this AD does.

And that is saying something...

• Upvote 3

But yet SMU is able to get home and home while being in the exact same position as UNT.

Explain that away, please?

Also, ULM, which is in a far worse position than UNT.

Maybe their ADs work harder and are better negotiators?

Just a thought.

There is absolutely zero excuse for the home scheduled that has happened since Apogee opened.

There is zero excuse for a 5 home game season (maybe, because currently we only have 4 home games scheduled) next year.

The absolute worse thing this AD does.

And that is saying something...

It's impressive how you can take one post I made about the UTSA vs UNT situation (which used logic rather than an ineffectual emotional rant) and take it as an opportunity to unload all your miserable greivances about everything else related to the schedule on me -- as if I 1) care or 2) don't have complaints of my own -- that might align with yours better than you think.

See you at the SMU and Army games everyone was so excited about a couple years ago!

• Upvote 1

It's impressive how you can take one post I made about the UTSA vs UNT situation (which used logic rather than an ineffectual emotional rant) and take it as an opportunity to unload all your miserable greivances about everything else related to the schedule on me -- as if I 1) care or 2) don't have complaints of my own -- that might align with yours better than you think.

See you at the SMU and Army games everyone was so excited about a couple years ago!

promise?

• Upvote 1

Don't include me, as I wasn't excited at the time and said SMU was waaaay too long.