Official UTEP Game Score Prediction Thread

MeanGreenTexan

Happy Veterans' Day y'all!

Thanks to any of you who put your life on the line to allow us to be posting here about a football game.

The Mean Green just happened to show a little spirit last weekend. It was nice. The running game was on. Can that continue on the road this week? The defense was playing about as well as I've seen them play all year. Can that continue on the road this week? McNulty was driving that bus about as well as anyone has all year. Can that continue on the road this week?

UTEP has been playing well. They're on the cusp of bowl eligibility. They probably haven't forgotten last year's merciless beating at Apogee either. They will channel all of these things this week. Our only hope is that they come out a little undisciplined, and unable to keep our running game in check. Showers is proving to be a nice transfer for them. Gotta keep pressure on him, but I have no idea how...

I think UTEP comes out on fire and, despite a nice win last weekend for the Mean Green, this may be a game similar to the LATech game.

UNT - 20

UTEP - 41

Prove me wrong Mean Green. I'm rooting for you!

• Upvote 1

UNT's defense answered the bell last week and the Jimmy Show is rolling. Unless or until a team can stop him, I think UNT continues to hang around.

That said, UNT travels atrociously, especially under Mac, and I bet the players have nightmares of the UAB game.

I don't think we'll get blown out like the poster above, but I also don't think we get the win against a team that wants to stake itself to bowl eligibility. I see UTEP playing like we did against Rice on Halloween when we #hit6 with inspired football, especially on defense.

UTEP 27

UNT 16

The spread for the game this week is 6.5 points, so basically UTEP is a TD favorite. Against the spread this year, UTEP is 8-1 with their lone loss coming against LA Tech. North Texas ATS is 3-6, with all three wins being the wins.

UTEP is 3-1 in the Sun Bowl with their lone loss coming at the hands of Texas Tech 30-26. Like oldguy pointed out, North Texas is 0-4 on the road in 2014. Late night games tend to go in favor of the home team (see ULL '12 and Rice '13). For those of you who love old school football, I would encourage you to not miss this throwback. Mac and Kugler will stick to run-centric offenses and rely on assignment football. UTEP's running platoon is a bit better than ours and UTEP also gets the nod at the game manager/bus driver position. Throw in the stats above, especially home field advantage in the mountains of El Paso and I see this as

UTEP 32

UNT 25

Edited by 10Eagle10
  • Upvote 2

I'm guessing UTEP by about 17pts, could be more...Our defense played well last week, MiniMac did pretty well...our play calling and decisions were BAD...too many times we get 3 pts when we should be getting 7pts in the red zone....there is a lack of aggressiveness in our offense...don't see why we can't toss 5-6 yrd passes over the middle...why do we run the same running plays over and over again. Mac is just not agressive enough and this kills us when we get behind...when we get behind by a TD the alarm bells should go off and we should crank up the offense....think TCU., Baylor. etc...but NO, we puntz around until we are down by 14, then 21, then the bell rings in Mac's ear...too late !!

• Upvote 1

D must play well with discipline and tamed aggression. Our team has been "built" to win by holding the opponents to less points than we somehow find a way to score. If our D has a bad start this game will be over by halftime. If the D has a good start then we have a punchers chance. "Get it into the 4th" should be the teams motto the final 3 games. If we get it into the fourth I like our chances, a lot. With all of that said...

Mean Green- 26

UTEP- 20

*Trevor Moore- 4/4

• Upvote 2

We have become one-dimensional on offense again. There is no vertical passing game; Canales might as well take a nap. We averaged 6 yards per pass against FAU., or basically handoffs in the air.

Mac's motto is Pound the rock and hope to wear down the defense and clock. Old school football. Stop our run and short-passes-for-runs and you will win.

When the opponent has a likewise ineffective QB like Smut, Nicholls, or FAU we have a chance to out-bore them to a win. Otherwise, no.

Also, as mentioned, road-warriors we are not. Take UTEP in this one 45-20. Sorry, the season is toast until we find a QB with a passing game.

• Upvote 2

Mini Mac drives the bus...into a ditch. Dajon comes in when we're 20+ down and drives us down the field for a meaningless TD. But Minimac still gets to start the rest of the season because of his tremendous busdriving skills and goes into 2015 as the starting QB for his senior year...

UTEP- 45

NT- 20

FIFY