Eli "Cinco" Howard, DE, San Angelo Central

Marty

Ummm, did we hit a nerve here?

Lol, no. I just don't understand how some people can get so bent out of shape over these kids. The Aggies had a rough day, had two key targets commit elsewhere, and had one of the best defensive tackles in the country decommit from them. I understand a meltdown, but some fans of theirs were wishing injuries on them, throwing around the n word, etc. Maybe I'm being self righteous, but it just all seems so ridiculous for grown men to do.

Lol, no. I just don't understand how some people can get so bent out of shape over these kids. The Aggies had a rough day, had two key targets commit elsewhere, and had one of the best defensive tackles in the country decommit from them. I understand a meltdown, but some fans of theirs were wishing injuries on them, throwing around the n word, etc. Maybe I'm being self righteous, but it just all seems so ridiculous for grown men to do.

No one is bent out of shape. I agree with everyone here: your reply is a wonderful explanation of how the business of recruiting works. I completely understand the nature of recruiting. The point is, I kinda wish it were not like this. Like, maybe it should be a reflection of a man's word...much like engagement.

It is what it is.

• Upvote 1

No one is bent out of shape. I agree with everyone here: your reply is a wonderful explanation of how the business of recruiting works. I completely understand the nature of recruiting. The point is, I kinda wish it were not like this. Like, maybe it should be a reflection of a man's word...much like engagement.

It is what it is.

Yes, but you need to hashtag the last sentence of your post :P Edited by BillySee58

I understand this viewpoint, but the way I look at it, I have no ill will towards teenage kids looking out for what's best for themselves as they make a major decision that will affect the rest of their lives. If a new school or school comes in that can give you a better education, give you a better college football career, etc comes in late and offers, I just don't see how you can blame a kid visiting or giving serious consideration to every option they have.

On the other side, as a coach, I'm letting each and every one of my commits know from the time they commit that if they start taking visits then they give me free reign to start recruiting players at their position. And seriously recruiting other players, as in inviting on official visits and offering. If another player or players take that commits spot while he's still wavering and going on visits, then he lost his spot. And that's how plenty of coaches do things.

I agree with the second paragraph whole heartedly. As for the first, don't commit if you want to keep looking. Besides, SMU does NOT provide you with any of that, not a better education or a better football experience. Ask Sam Rice.

Since he was just a 2 star recruit, I guess this will make some on here...happy? Surely, we won't hear complaints will we? ;-)

He did seem like a nice player. Not sure why you have to go through the formality of decommitting since verbals are non binding, unless the other school that is dangling a potential offer is making him 'prove' his love.

Do schools ever end up signing someone that deommits during the process?

Edited by greenit

Another kid whose word means nothing.

If you are going to commit, verbally or however, then you stand by your word. If you think there is a chance you might waiver, then hold off telling the world where you will be "taking your talents." My father and grandfather both told me that my word was something to be honored. You stood by your word all the time. Guess that lesson is lost on today's young men.

I say we go hard after the young man from Lake Dallas and any other DFW DE that is simlar to "El Cinco." Somebody else takes his spot, well too bad.

• Upvote 1

Since he was just a 2 star recruit, I guess this will make some on here...happy? Surely, we won't hear complaints will we? ;-)

He did seem like a nice player. Not sure why you have to go through the formality of decommitting since verbals are non binding, unless the other school that is dangling a potential offer is making him 'prove' his love.

Do schools ever end up signing someone that deommits during the process?

Some schools will not offer if you are committed to another school. And they are less likely to pay for you and your family to come on an official visit.

Another kid whose word means nothing.

If you are going to commit, verbally or however, then you stand by your word. If you think there is a chance you might waiver, then hold off telling the world where you will be "taking your talents." My father and grandfather both told me that my word was something to be honored. You stood by your word all the time. Guess that lesson is lost on today's young men.

I say we go hard after the young man from Lake Dallas and any other DFW DE that is simlar to "El Cinco." Somebody else takes his spot, well too bad.

In response to your last post to me, I agree. I think kids should make certain before they commit as well, and wait to commit when they are certain on their choice and school.

Unfortunately, the high number of decommitments is a product of modern recruiting. Kids are being pressured to commit earlier and earlier each year. Because of that, classes are filling up sooner. Kids, like Howard and most of the kids we recruit, don't have big offer lists and can't wait until national signing day to make a decision. The longer they wait the more likely some of their offers, which may only be two or three to begin with, will expire and no longer be committable.

There is pressure to commit early. There is pressure to make decisions that you may not be 100% on. And this is not just a minor decision, or thing to put your word to. It's a major life decision, and one that everyone deserves to make sure they make it right. It's great that you value keeping your word, it just comes off as self-righteous the way you knock these kids. Our coaching staff equally deserves to be knocked for not being able to win or sell these kids and keep them, and definitely, in your case with your emphasis on being a man of your word, for Coach Mccarney and co for still recruiting kids who are already committed to another school. It's unfortunate all the way around, but it breeds these highly frequent decommitments.

Double dang it!!

I had gained a comfort level with this kid and was looking forward to seeing what he grew into.

Let's just assume the kid is being totally brainwashed by his parents and they are telling him to go to smu. I can respect a kid more for telling us as soon as he changes his mind, rather than waiting till signing day and, surprise!

Who knows, maybe we started giving the kid the cold shoulder due to other players moving up our board. You just never know the whole story most of the time.

• Upvote 1

SMU is really going after our recruits this year. Even more than in years past. It's very frustrating but it's also a reality we have to face head on.

SMU talks about the dollar value of their education, but what about the student fitting in? These undergraduates at SMU mostly come from big money. It would seem to me the diversity of our campus would be a positive for us against SMU.

The new $mu coach Morris, is very late coming into in the DFW recruiting game, so he and his staff are reviewing the lists of players committed to

North Texas, Houston, Kansas, and Rice, then going after these players. $mu has nothing to lose so why not go after these players.

The easy way for a new HFC to start recruiting is going after the kids already committed to other programs. North Texas commitments are not the only players to decommit to other programs. $mu has had commitments poached from their 2015 class too. How does a coach protect

the commitments from poaching by other schools?

There is no way to prevent any program from contacting the North Texas list of commitments or potential commitments.

I would say, the staff needs to do the same tactic, go after the other schools committed players and prospect lists, to flip

the players away from the phonies or any other program. We are North Texas, with a damn good program!

North Texas 43, $mu 7

• Upvote 2