Eli "Cinco" Howard, DE, San Angelo Central

Marty

I'm glad the coaches didn't bail on him after he re-opened his commitment and specifically asked for them to stay in touch.

Welcome aboard Cinco. Looking forward to a bunch of sacks & QB pressure from you in the future.

Me too. Good to have him back. Side note: I've seen more kids recommit to the schools they decommitted from this year than any other year, by far. I think it's causation, not correlation, between that and the fact that kids are being pressured to commit earlier and earlier to have a spot in the class. Many more decommits, hence more recommits.

If we can land Combs and Watson then this may be as good a DE haul as we've seen in a while, and the strength of this class. Howard was originally scheduled to visit SMU last weekend, but he visited Tulsa. I wonder if SMU cooled on him. Either way he's a good pickup, but something I can't help but wonder.

• Upvote 4

It happens to everyone everywhere except a very select few places like Alabama and Ohio State. Vanderbilt's top recruit just flipped to Arkansas... Texas Tech has had a a slew of decommits... I agree that you want to limit it however you also want to go after the best players you can land and those kids have options. There is a fine line between the two and luck plays a part.

You could have an entire class that commits early and stays with you through till the end because they didn't have other options.

Best example, Wheeler committed with us early -- had he not been given the Tech offer late would have stuck with us.. should we count that as a negative or should we have gone after a lessor player who would have stayed with us no matter what? I have no problem with our coaches going aggressively after Wheeler and I am ok when he decides to decommit to a p5 school late because we did the best we could to land a difference maker. They have a board of who is next in line and we quickly should move to that or look at flipping one ourselves.

It happens to everyone everywhere except a very select few places like Alabama and Ohio State. Vanderbilt's top recruit just flipped to Arkansas... Texas Tech has had a a slew of decommits... I agree that you want to limit it however you also want to go after the best players you can land and those kids have options. There is a fine line between the two and luck plays a part.

You could have an entire class that commits early and stays with you through till the end because they didn't have other options.

Best example, Wheeler committed with us early -- had he not been given the Tech offer late would have stuck with us.. should we count that as a negative or should we have gone after a lessor player who would have stayed with us no matter what? I have no problem with our coaches going aggressively after Wheeler and I am ok when he decides to decommit to a p5 school late because we did the best we could to land a difference maker. They have a board of who is next in line and we quickly should move to that or look at flipping one ourselves.

Right, but Wheeler is not the problem. The problem is having guys flip to Air Force, ULM, San Diego State, etc. If those are truly the guys we want then we can't be losing them, after they've already committed, to those schools.
  • Upvote 3