A Little Trivia for you Friday

UNTLifer

I saw this trivia answer this week in the email newlsetter from President Pohl, but I have to question it. I started going to then-NTSU games in Men's Gym in 1960, when I moved to Denton as a ninth grader, and even though I cannot pin down any exact date, I feel strongly that I was hearing it referred to as "Snake Pit" during the Sixties, before what the trivia answer indicates. I am 57, so maybe my memory is playing great tricks on me, as it usually does. Does any other oldtimer have the same recollection, or am I way off?

Thanks for posting UNT Still. I don't trust my memory either, but I also believe Men's Gym was known as the snake pit way before the Drake game.

A few years ago I read the DRC stories on the NT-Drake game on microfilm at the Denton County Library. The Drake coach was not complaining about the noise as much as he was the behaviour of NT fans. I distinctly remember him saying the fans were the worst in the nation. At the next game some fans proudly held a banner proclaiming themselves to be "The worst of the worst".

Fan behaviour was terrible, although it seemed like fun at the time. Cups of ice were often thrown at the refs, and no one ever pointed at the guilty parties. I remember rubber snakes being thrown at the opposing team when they came out for warm-ups. Rubber Snakes also were thrown at the Refs. I don't recall anyone ever assaulting a ref or an opposing player, but I do remember the refs and the visiting teams sprinting to the dressing rooms when the final gun was fired. Yes, halftime and end of game were announced by firing a blank pistol. The crowd noise was so loud the horn could not be heard.

"North Texas played its last game in the Men's Gym in 1973."

Actually, there was a men's game played in the Men's Gym in 1990 or '91, as I recall. The concourse around the Super Pit was being used for Spring Registration (yes, kids, this was in the ancient times BEFORE tele-registration...laugh.gif), so the Mean Green had to play in the Snake Pit. I believe it was even a conference game against either Sam Houston State or Northwestern State, though I'm a bit fuzzy on that.

Can anyone help me out?