Denton Convention Center is Dead

UNTflyer

Why is it every time I enter a thread like this, I imagine TFLF as Palpatine, saying "goooood, goooood" as the place delves into anarchy? The man is a king at riling up the masses.

I prefer the "kicking the ant pile" analogy.

Anyway, as if on cue:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/america-safest-cities-152041816.html

5. Frisco, Texas

> Violent crimes per 100,000: 76

> Population: 131,769

> 2013 murders: 0 (tied-the least)

> Poverty rate: 4.5% (2nd lowest)

> Pct. of adults with high school degree: 94.0% (23rd highest)

Frisco reported a total of just 100 violent crimes in 2013, fewer than almost any other city. Few large cities had less incidents of robbery and aggravated assault. Also, the city did not record a single murder last year.High incomes may contribute to the area’s low crime rates. Interrelated factors such as family wealth, and well-funded schools, may help discourage crime. Frisco had the highest median household income of any large U.S. city last year, at almost $110,000. Additionally, Frisco was one of just two large cities with a poverty rate of less than 5% last year.

Hate me now, hate me later. But, at the very least, admit when you've been had.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Anyway, as if on cue:

5. Frisco, Texas

Frisco reported a total of just 100 violent crimes in 2013, fewer than almost any other city. Few large cities had less incidents of robbery and aggravated assault. Also, the city did not record a single murder last year.High incomes may contribute to the areas low crime rates. Interrelated factors such as family wealth, and well-funded schools, may help discourage crime. Frisco had the highest median household income of any large U.S. city last year, at almost $110,000. Additionally, Frisco was one of just two large cities with a poverty rate of less than 5% last year.

Yeah but is it unique with cool places to hang out and get drunk?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Anyway, as if on cue:

5. Frisco, Texas

Frisco reported a total of just 100 violent crimes in 2013, fewer than almost any other city. Few large cities had less incidents of robbery and aggravated assault. Also, the city did not record a single murder last year.High incomes may contribute to the area’s low crime rates. Interrelated factors such as family wealth, and well-funded schools, may help discourage crime. Frisco had the highest median household income of any large U.S. city last year, at almost $110,000. Additionally, Frisco was one of just two large cities with a poverty rate of less than 5% last year.

I'm just glad these people had the good sense to wait a year: https://www.google.com/search?q=frisco+murder&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=nts#blessed

(I'm just trolling back with no dog in the hunt. I lived in Denton, Plano, Austin and Dallas and enjoyed them all. I also lived in Irving/Las Colinas and the best I can say there is that it made other cities very accessible.)

Yeah but is it unique

No

with cool places to hang out

Meh

and get drunk?

Absolutely. Varsity Club (now closed) and Twin Peaks for starters.

Throw whatever statistics and condescending allusions you wish. Offer me a fully paid off McMansion with vaulted ceilings, a housekeeper, regular visits by my neighborhood pampered chef representative, and even pay off my dual county property taxes for me. I still wouldn't live there.

The whole original point was different strokes for different folks, and that I didn't think Denton should model itself after Frisco. I still don't think so. Frisco your bag? Great. Live there. Don't like Denton? Great. Don't live there, and don't expect to exert undue influence just because you want to occasionally visit.

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No

Meh

Absolutely. Varsity Club (now closed) and Twin Peaks for starters.

Throw whatever statistics and condescending allusions you wish. Offer me a fully paid off McMansion with vaulted ceilings, a housekeeper, regular visits by my neighborhood pampered chef representative, and even pay off my dual county property taxes for me. I still wouldn't live there.

The whole original point was different strokes for different folks, and that I didn't think Denton should model itself after Frisco. I still don't think so. Frisco your bag? Great. Live there. Don't like Denton? Great. Don't live there, and don't expect to exert undue influence just because you want to occasionally visit.

This.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

For married people with kids? No. Thankfully.

Well that sucks they closed everything around the soccer stadium. It seemed like it was going well...

I just moved a few weeks ago, but fingers crossed they turned Holy Grail into a Gymboree and took some dynamite to Mash'd. Moonshine is the devil's drink.

• Upvote 1