Denton Convention Center is Dead

UNTflyer

You're delusional if you believe drugs are not present everywhere in Frisco.

No. You are delusional to think that they are. You've bought fully into this "it's everywhere" myth.

I live in Frisco and go all around it, okay? I also go visit long time customers in South Dallas for business. Some of the small churches we insure down there...it's night and day different and you know it.

In Frisco, there are not drug-addled people wandering the streets in broad daylight. There aren't bands of able-bodied men standing around, "hanging out" in the middle of the day at the convenience store, the curb, or the corner.

My customers who own buildings in Denton and Collin County are not having their air conditioning units stolen over and over again. In Dallas, it got to a point a couple of years ago where I decided not to write anymore policies unless the building owner had their AC units covered, fenced off, and locked.

Just because every once in a blue moon a drug crime occurs in a place, doesn't mean it is "everywhere." Where you see the drugged in the streets and have the repetitive thefts against business like you have in Dallas, it's a different story.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1

No. You are delusional to think that they are. You've bought fully into this "it's everywhere" myth.

I live in Frisco and go all around it, okay? I also go visit long time customers in South Dallas for business. Some of the small churches we insure down there...it's night and day different and you know it.

In Frisco, there are not drug-addled people wandering the streets in broad daylight. There aren't bands of able-bodied men standing around, "hanging out" in the middle of the day at the convenience store, the curb, or the corner.

My customers who own buildings in Denton and Collin County are not having their air conditioning units stolen over and over again. In Dallas, it got to a point a couple of years ago where I decided not to write anymore policies unless the building owner had their AC units covered, fenced off, and locked.

Just because every once in a blue moon a drug crime occurs in a place, doesn't mean it is "everywhere." Where you see the drugged in the streets and have the theft of business like you have in Dallas, it's a different story.

ha. make it $40

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Just because every once in a blue moon a drug crime occurs in a place, doesn't mean it is "everywhere." Where you see the drugged in the streets and have the repetitive thefts against business like you have in Dallas, it's a different story.

I'll stand by my statement.

Just because there is more discretion in an area like Frisco, generally a MUCH wealthier area than South Dallas, does not mean they are not easily obtainable. Those people 'hanging out' or 'drug-addled in broad daylight' in South Dallas are likely extremely poor, possibly homeless. They're not going to use in their 2000-4000+ sq ft. homes like they would if they were to be wealthy enough to live in Frisco.

There aren't bands of able-bodied men standing around, "hanging out" in the middle of the day at the convenience store, the curb, or the corner.

perhaps not, but I've $100 says that I can find just as many able-bodied men hanging out in the middle of the day at a Frisco Starbucks.

also, you do realize that there are people who work nights, weekends and other non-traditional schedules, right?

(btw, I'm staking all of these bets with the money I plan on making selling moly up in Frisco this weekend. I imagine it'll take me about an hour)

• Upvote 4

Not even in the parking lot of that cafe/gas station on Main Street? What was that place called, the Depot?

Ahhhhh yes. That place is delicious, btw. They just have such limited hours. I need to stay on top of when they're open.

But yeah, to your point, that's definitely where you're able to pick up a day laborer or ten.

Stand by it all you like.

I'll agree with you on one thing, though...drug use does tend to lead to poverty and homelessness. And, again, there is plenty of evidence of those elements in Dallas, but not in Frisco, because...again...

...drug/crime acceptance in Dallas, not Frisco. You reap what you sow.

By the way, I'll post the first time, if ever, that I walk into a neighbor's house or a business in Frisco and smell dope. Hasn't happened in six years, and doubt it will suddenly crop up.

• Downvote 1

perhaps not, but I've $100 says that I can find just as many able-bodied men hanging out in the middle of the day at a Frisco Starbucks.

also, you do realize that there are people who work nights, weekends and other non-traditional schedules, right?

(btw, I'm staking all of these bets with the money I plan on making selling moly up in Frisco this weekend. I imagine it'll take me about an hour)

That 1hr estimate is generous with that particular drug. I imagine if you had a pocket of this to S. Dallas, you'd be met with a gun and a request for a ride to either Addison, Plano, or... Frisco.

By the way, I'll post the first time, if ever, that I walk into a neighbor's house or a business in Frisco and smell dope. Hasn't happened in six years, and doubt it will suddenly crop up.

The dealers in Frisco wear white coats and stethoscopes. They phone in the orders so soccer mom can grab a full bottle of valium and some Chardonnay at the CVS as she's on her way to the Pampered Chef Party.

• Upvote 6

If it takes you an entire hour then I strongly discourage you from taking a sales commission based position.

You have to remember I've been out of the area for a little while...I was building in a bit of time to re-establish/make new contacts.

plus, the way this thread is going, I'll likely be making a few more bets.

• Upvote 1

Also, speaking of the area around the depot, even though Manny's was cooler when it was in the old house a little east down Main (now Stan's), the Wednesday night buffet is still churning at the new Manny's and is still the cheapest gut bomb around. It's the only drug I need.

Where did I just see Manny's ghost? Addison? I thought the whole thing was gone. They tried taking over the red carpet restaurant in Little Elm as well, right? Mmm... The Red Carpet Restaurant in Little Elm. I only got to eat there once before it closed.

I really, really, really prefer Mexican over TexMex, but I am certainly guilty of indulging in a Wednesday night gut bomb at Manny's a time or seventeen.

I spent the lunch hour with a current Denton City Council member that was in attendance at the Council meeting last night. He told me that the Convention Center is not dead. The Convention Center on UNT property is dead. There is still a desire on the part of the Council to have a Convention Center/hotel built, just not there. Other sites include the corner of University Drive @ I-35 and the vacant land immediately north of Denton Regional Medical Center. Near the Medpark Rail Station.

Beat FAU

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 3

I spent the lunch hour with a current Denton City Council member that was in attendance at the Council meeting last night. He told me that the Convention Center is not dead. The Convention Center on UNT property is dead. There is still a desire on the part of the Council to have a Convention Center/hotel built, just not there. Other sites include the corner of University Drive @ I-35 and the vacant land immediately north of Denton Regional Medical Center. Near the Medpark Rail Station.

Beat FAU

GO MEAN GREEN

To further echo this, the City Council, Aimee Bisset, and the rest of the EconDev leaders within the city certainly wanted/still want the convention center.

The problem was that the numbers for every aspect of the planned site was going South in a hurry over the last month. Construction costs doubling to convention space constantly decreasing to hotel rooms going for Ritz Carlton prices... you want to reasonably tell me, you the name-calling yet morally and fiscally responsible Red types, would not want to back down in the face of such if you were on Council?

Puh-lease.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Q: Could a convention be held inside the Sack N Save so that the students without cars could attend?

Are you kidding me?

Would you really want drug-addled, Pancho's-gut-busted, Molly-profit-wagering students, day laborers & discouraged-but-not-defeated City councilmen 'hanging out' at this "convention" right in the Gateway to the University?

Too much this time?