Denton Convention Center is Dead

UNTflyer

Thank god.

It's a shame the city had to lose 500K on this craphole of an idea before they realized the people didn't want it.

Says the guy that lives in the Denia neighborhood.

....just couldn't resist the temptation. Just too target rich this time!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

When I mentioned Frisco I did so because they have about 5 billion in construction coming between 121 and Main Street. (Cowboys Alley, Wade Park, The Gate, ect.) Frisco city council isn't small minded. Denton city council is. Nobody is saying change Denton but damn if they aren't dense economically speaking.

Its not a Denton vs Frisco argument. I've lived in both and both have their ups and downs. Actually, I've lived in real dumps before and most of y'all sound like pompous pricks arguing over two nice places.

Really I just wish they'd build a cool hotel on the hill because that area would have really been something. Especially on game day. Oh well, typical Denton being short sided and anti UNT. I wish UNT could proceed with something like the original idea without partnering with the city.

Oh, and I guess the season is pretty much over because y'all are Internet arguing about stupid nonsense.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 3

Holy crap this post went wild fast.

I'll just say this, I live in Frisco, and I love it for all the same reasons tflf said he loves it. I grew up in Irving. Graduated from ihs in 2000, and I moved to Denton when I graduated. I never moved back. I hated it. It's old, run down and not kept up with. Denton was similar, but it had its obvious(co-eds) charms. I still love Denton, LOVE to visit, but I would never live there. Sorry. I like the new. I like the money. Sounds terrible, but it's true. I love driving down the street and seeing $350,000 houses. I don't live in one, but it pushes me to work towards that. If I lived in Irving or mesquite or garland. I'd drive to work everyday, and just be ok with what I've got.

I didn't go to Unt to just settle in life. I went to Unt so I didn't have to live in Irving. So my kids didn't have to grow up in Irving. I grew up with the belief that you work to put your kids in a better position than what I grew up with. That's what Frisco does. If other people or towns don't want to improve, then that's their thing not mine, and not tflf. The end.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I was going to inquire as to whether Irving was an actual municipality or a mere designated stretch of 183. Then I saw that they have a convention center, and I fell to my knees in awe and envy.

The Irving Convention Center hosts annual Comic-Cons. The proceeds from an event like that would go a long way to paying off the construction costs, but alas.

Both universities in Denton host conferences throughout the year but if campus facilities can't manage to contain them, they go to other cities... taking all that potential revenue with them. Last year Fort Worth was the beneficiary of hosting an international, prestigious conference.

I hope that the City Council is still keen on building a Convention Center within Denton, even if it's not in partnership with UNT. From what I know. Lane Rawlins was extremely keen on the idea and resurrected the idea when he was President. Guess the administration has better things to discuss now.

• Upvote 1

Holy crap this post went wild fast.

I'll just say this, I live in Frisco, and I love it for all the same reasons tflf said he loves it. I grew up in Irving. Graduated from ihs in 2000, and I moved to Denton when I graduated. I never moved back. I hated it. It's old, run down and not kept up with. Denton was similar, but it had its obvious(co-eds) charms. I still love Denton, LOVE to visit, but I would never live there. Sorry. I like the new. I like the money. Sounds terrible, but it's true. I love driving down the street and seeing $350,000 houses. I don't live in one, but it pushes me to work towards that. If I lived in Irving or mesquite or garland. I'd drive to work everyday, and just be ok with what I've got.

I didn't go to Unt to just settle in life. I went to Unt so I didn't have to live in Irving. So my kids didn't have to grow up in Irving. I grew up with the belief that you work to put your kids in a better position than what I grew up with. That's what Frisco does. If other people or towns don't want to improve, then that's their thing not mine, and not tflf. The end.

I'm not going to rant about my prior living situations anymore, but let's just say that I had the opposite experience in upscale suburbia to you. I moved away from that as soon as I had a chance to move out on my own because I felt it was more real.

That's why this topic has devolved into stupid, it's all people talking about their preferences.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I think most people want to give their kids and family the best life they can. So good on you. Truly. I also think there are plenty of well-developed neighborhoods in actual cities for grown-ups and kids alike that offer culture, high-quality food, and streets lined with houses that don't look like they were stamped out of a mold. Frisco offers a squeaky-clean version of it on the cheap, by comparison -- and probably has better school districts. Everyone has a different definition of progress and "improvement."

Personally, if I ever end up living in Frisco (or similar), I'll mail my degree back to UNT just before I kick the chair out from under my feet. Two sides of the same coin. To each his own.

• Upvote 3

Is everyone in this thread in junior high?!

You can't live in certain places because people will judge you? What's next, they are gonna spread rumors that your mother dresses you funny? Make sure you don't get invited to Becky's sleepover?

I've lived in places where the cops didn't like to go, I've lived in places where the doorman had a Rolex, either way you'll hate some of your neighbors and at least like some of them.

Edited by Cerebus
  • Upvote 4

When I mentioned Frisco I did so because they have about 5 billion in construction coming between 121 and Main Street. (Cowboys Alley, Wade Park, The Gate, ect.) Frisco city council isn't small minded. Denton city council is. Nobody is saying change Denton but damn if they aren't dense economically speaking.

Its not a Denton vs Frisco argument. I've lived in both and both have their ups and downs. Actually, I've lived in real dumps before and most of y'all sound like pompous pricks arguing over two nice places.

Really I just wish they'd build a cool hotel on the hill because that area would have really been something. Especially on game day. Oh well, typical Denton being short sided and anti UNT. I wish UNT could proceed with something like the original idea without partnering with the city.

Oh, and I guess the season is pretty much over because y'all are Internet arguing about stupid nonsense.

The convention center might not have been a good move - at least not now. I guarantee the council will be all in favor of one in the next 10 years, though.