Denton Convention Center is Dead

UNTflyer

I've lived in Denton since 2nd grade and there is absolutely no part of me that wants this place to be like Frisco or any of the other cookie cutter suburbs with higher tax rates absolutely no charm. Does this put me in the "Dumbasses, idiots, and Dumbf***s" category?

Luckily the city council feels the same way.

Upset over this dying, but there were a lot of factors at play.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

I spent six years living in Frisco, and would rather have multiple root canals without anesthetic than to spend one more night in that souless corporate facade of a community populated by people who fuel their lives by fear of everybody and everything and protect their children with 10 foot privacy fences that match HOA approved shades of stain.

I truly could not care less whether Denton gets a convention center or not, but to use Frisco in any way, shape, form, or even mere mention as a model of what Denton should be, gets a "fart in your general direction" from me.

I second that...

• Upvote 3

I second that...

I live in Frisco, and don't want to see Denton become Frisco. Denton has it's own vibe and some should that Frisco never had nor will it ever have.

Denton needs small tweaks here and there, and not massive uprising changes. If you get too crazy then all the Californians will come in and cause taxes to skyrocket. Be careful what you wish for.

Meh. I loved living in Frisco. Safe, everything's convenient, clean, new, easy to get around, lots to do (especially sports wise), close to the tollway, 121, and 380, new stuff popping up all the time. I dug it. To each their own, I know, but the intangible stuff like "soulless" and "charm" eventually became hollow feel good buzzwords with no real definition or impact on my life. I like charm, and when I want it I'm a quick drive down 380 from Denton or down the tollway to Dallas. Day to day, I like nice roads, ample parking, modern conveniences, and big growth/progress. Maybe I'm dead inside, that's entirely possible too..... I won't ever discount that.

I love Denton. Get back whenever I can. Just had to give the northern burbs a little love in their defense. (I have a giant pro-Plano bit queued up if you bastards make me)

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Meh. I loved living in Frisco.

I'll give you an honest self assessment on that. I acknowledge that as a state, Texas is diverse in its population. However, its communities tend to be very homogeneous and self segregating. If not by old standards of race (because I know that's going to be your first line of defense), then by collective ideologies.

This dense urban apartment dwelling poor kid raised on food stamps California hippie tree hugging granola crunching mom and pop establishment loving liberal did NOT a proper puzzle piece of the Frisco jigsaw make. At all.

If I for some reason end up living in Texas for the long-term, it'll be in Denton. Today, a person can still be himself in Denton and get away with it. It would be detrimental to me were that to go away because Denton decided to become another Frisco.

• Upvote 2

I'll give you an honest self assessment on that. I acknowledge that as a state, Texas is diverse in its population. However, its communities tend to be very homogeneous and self segregating. If not by old standards of race (because I know that's going to be your first line of defense), then by collective ideologies.This dense urban apartment dwelling poor kid raised on food stamps California hippie tree hugging granola crunching mom and pop establishment loving liberal did NOT a proper puzzle piece of the Frisco jigsaw make. At all.If I for some reason end up living in Texas for the long-term, it'll be in Denton. Today, a person can still be himself in Denton and get away with it. It would be detrimental to me were that to go away because Denton decided to become another Frisco.

That's fair. I get it. I get reputations and all that. Honestly, a lot of it is probably cyclical for me as well. After a few years, I tend to crave some place slightly different from where I am now. I guess for me I've been lucky in that the kinds of people Ive met don't often fit into the box one might expect based on location. In Frisco, I had friends who were young couples, young parents, and single apartment dwellers working for tech companies whose ideologies and politics were all over the board. Frisco was essentially the vessel where we slept at night, ran our errands, and met for drinks and dinner. And it served me well in that regard. Likewise, when I lived in Wilton Manors (the gay neighborhood in Ft. Lauderdale), our neighbors were these uber conservative Cuban refugees who were incredibly friendly and could cook like a SOB. Everyone seemed to get along, and I enjoyed living there just fine. I think with Frisco it may have helped that I didn't have kids, so I never got swept up in that kiddie culture and hung out with like minded types.

I completely understand the stereotypes, it just didn't fit my experience is all. I completely get how it could someone else's, especially if there's preconcieved notions to deal with coming in (not saying that's you at all, btw.. Just that I've known it to happen). Hell, denizens of this board are living proof that Denton is far from a liberal commune running on canola oil, ya dig?

Edited by CaribbeanGreen

Frisco has it's ups and downs. But, it's safe for my wife and kids, so I endure whatever the minor downs are. The major dust ups here are things like where boundary lines for the new 80% white high school will be and whether the new power lines to accommodate the growth will be above or below ground. I'll take that any day over sending my kids to schools with thugs and communities filled with thieving, drug-infested maggots.

As far as Denton, it's easy to see why UNT's athletics gets no support - the city hates anything that might actually bring money to the city. Convention Center, no. Fracking, no. Fight for an outdated grocery store, yes.

Crazy.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

the city hates anything that might actually bring money to the city. Convention Center, no. Fracking, no. Fight for an outdated grocery store, yes.

Liquor stores, yes. Unlike the Frisco City Council's unilateral move to immediately buy up all the approved parcels of land after the citizens voted yes on the local choice option.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1