I'm Late But Just Watched The Rice Game

MeanGreenHoops

So I was in LA all weekend and came back late Monday so I missed the game. I read a few threads on the board yesterday before watching the game last night. It was kind of interesting to read posts before actually seeing the game. Anyway, here's what I noticed being not really emotionally involved at that point.

• Our D Line gets manhandled a lot, most plays they don't have anyone getting off blocks. Without pointing fingers, this is not a size thing. Some of the smaller players do a better job getting off blocks than the bigs.
  • Our WR play is not helping us at all. Not a ton of guys getting open and then drops
  • We really held on to the ball in the pocket way too long leading to sacks
  • Jimmerson had some great moves making several guys look silly. Too bad he didn't have much room to run on the day
  • Team continues to shoot their own foot off
  • This game was encouraging, I guess because I didn't watch it live.
  • Oops forgot one, I'd rather watch DW and lose by 20 than any other QB
Edited by MeanGreenHoops
  • Upvote 2

Pretty much.

WRs who have to guess where and when the ball may arrive doesn't help their cause either.

I'm really liking Jimmy. He's really coming on strong these past three weeks. Need to lean on him a bit more but I wonder about his durability. It's telling that we don't have an NFL-caliber back who can carry the load at times. Our golden run came to an end at Dunbar and I wonder if we'll be able to get back to that any time soon.

WRs who have to guess where and when the ball may arrive doesn't help their cause either.

Well, that's part of the life of a receiver. They don't get thrown the ball in neat little windows unless they can get the heck away from their defender. That's not happening on a regular basis. Yeah, the QB's have made their share of bad throws--no doubt. But there are two people at each end of every pass--not just the QB. I would go so far as to say there is usually 1 person at the originating end, and recently there have been more like 2-3 people at the receiving end, only 1 of which is desirable to have there at all.

I thought it was comical that the announcers made such a big deal about Chelf's catch and how acrobatic it was. McNulty hit him in the hands with it, and he nearly dropped it because he didn't look it into his hands and tuck it.

• Upvote 2

So I was in LA all weekend and came back late Monday so I missed the game. I read a few threads on the board yesterday before watching the game last night. It was kind of interesting to read posts before actually seeing the game. Anyway, here's what I noticed being not really emotionally involved at that point.

• Our D Line gets manhandled a lot, most plays they don't have anyone getting off blocks. Without pointing fingers, this is not a size thing. Some of the smaller players do a better job getting off blocks than the bigs.
  • Our WR play is not helping us at all. Not a ton of guys getting open and then drops
  • We really held on to the ball in the pocket way too long leading to sacks
  • Jimmerson had some great moves making several guys look silly. Too bad he didn't have much room to run on the day
  • Team continues to shoot their own foot off
  • This game was encouraging, I guess because I didn't watch it live.
  • Oops forgot one, I'd rather watch DW and lose by 20 than any other QB

Good comments. I'd be interested to hear some more observations you have on the defensive line. I've had several people with a pretty good football knowledge tell me that is where the defense is really struggling right now both against the run and pass rush.pressure on QB.

Good comments. I'd be interested to hear some more observations you have on the defensive line. I've had several people with a pretty good football knowledge tell me that is where the defense is really struggling right now both against the run and pass rush.pressure on QB.

DT 90 would probably be better to ask that question haha. What I basically did was just watch the D-Line for most of the game. I already knew we lost, and had read where the big plays were, so I didn't really need to watch the game so much (if that makes sense).

Anyway, if you just watch them and see if they get penetration, or off blocks, or are they engaged with the o-line, you start to notice things. The biggest thing was that not only are they not able to get penetration most plays, quite often, they are all engaged with an o-lineman for the entire play never even getting off the block. The d-ends do a better job of getting penetration, but they kind of get run where the offense wants them to go.

In a nutshell, the offense basically gets to run their play without much disruption.

• Upvote 1

We never have more than one legitimate receiving threat at a time.

Maybe not, but could it be we never have a legitimate QB who can make more than 2 reads that gives the offense the opportunity of distribution. If Chico kind of knew what he was doing he would never make Harris the 1st read. Harris is going to find the ball bc he gets open, but why force the ball into him when he will be in double coverage or at the very least have a safety leaning to him. Make someone else the first read to make a conscious effort to distribute the ball. Ball distribution does wonders for any passing game.

Maybe not, but could it be we never have a legitimate QB who can make more than 2 reads that gives the offense the opportunity of distribution. If Chico kind of knew what he was doing he would never make Harris the 1st read. Harris is going to find the ball bc he gets open, but why force the ball into him when he will be in double coverage or at the very least have a safety leaning to him. Make someone else the first read to make a conscious effort to distribute the ball. Ball distribution does wonders for any passing game.

Harris is not always the first read. And reads don't matter if you have only 1 receiver who can get open with any consistency. The QB can only sit there for so long before he will either be sacked or have to run/throw the ball away. Easy to "distribute" the ball when the receivers are open and actually catch it consistently.

The biggest thing was that not only are they not able to get penetration most plays, quite often, they are all engaged with an o-lineman for the entire play never even getting off the block. The d-ends do a better job of getting penetration, but they kind of get run where the offense wants them to go.

In a nutshell, the offense basically gets to run their play without much disruption.

Nail on the head. Good observations.

I didnt see outstanding DL play, but I thought it was decent. I watched both the DL and the LBs. One comment that was made on here was that our weak DL was allowing OL to get to our LBs. I did not see that.

I saw unimpressive LB play. Many times 2 or 3 of them lined up 5 yards from the line of scrimmage and reading the play too late. Yes, you can make tackles, but a quicker reaction can save you 2 or 3 yards.

Our youth is showing. Play recognition is a big issue. Beyond the green, skladany kept emphasizing reading the keys. Knowing what is coming is key to tackles for loss and no gains. The youth is also hurting our trust with this unit.

A few times I saw LBs hesitate or go to another area to make a play, and be out of position for their respondibility. With an experienced Orr in the middle, the OLB could concentrate on their job. When that trust is not there, you have OLBs looking inside and the ILB looking outside. Hopefully this can improve with experience.

A dominant DL would be great, but what the chances of that happening? Every team is looking for that.

...if you have receivers who can run routes properly and get open. We don't have much of that, and haven't for well over a decade - maybe two or three.

Right now, we have a bevy of receivers who don't get open and three quarterbacks who "distribute" the ball to opposing defenses via interceptions and fumbles.

Not even. They got manhandled.

UNT

Sacks--1 (by Mason)

TFL's--2 (by Mason)

QBH's--0

Rice

Sacks--3

TFL's--9

QBH's--3

we only rushed 4 most of the time.

I am assuming we were trying to contain Jackson and make sure he did not hurt us running. not sure why we did not get after him more.

Im not sure we will ever have a DL that can get pressure or stop the run with just the front four.

McNulty had a lot of time back there on some throws too. They may count as hurries and sacks, but he should have gotten rid of the ball. Once he got hurt, they should have benched him.

DL play can be better, no doubt. But the secondary and lbs are playing worse in my opinion. mason was the only bright spot on defense.

Our LBs had 15 solo tackles and 3 assists. Thats all 5 LBs. Orr could get that in one game.

I'm probably not football smart enough to know if the LB's are a bigger problem. I'd agree with you that they aren't making many plays. Maybe I'll watch again and watch the LB's this time. Sometimes it's harder to see them though in plays. The DL is easier to just follow. I did say in my original post that i was somewhat encouraged. The defense did look better than they have, but that was mostly due to Mason who is a SR.

Speaking of where is Tillman Johnson, are we just going for the RS now?

• Upvote 1