4th Quarter Punt with 6:30 to go

badnewspears

That's where I lost faith in this coaching staff this season.

The last three games have been tough but when we came out and stood our ground in the first half, I was still thinking...ok, win this, win Homcoming, then we're 4-5 and we'll have a shot. Maybe not a good one but 6-6 is doable and a pie-in-the-sky 7-5 is technically still on the table with bonus Bowl Game!

But no, that was not to be. We punted.

Yes, I know there is no guarantee that we would have gotten it, and a turnover on downs would have killed us but frankly, I feel getting a TD on the drive was the only way we stay in the game. With six and a half left on the clock, 4th and five or six, you go for it. By punting, Mac was essentially accepting defeat rather than fighting for the win.

Maybe he doesn't feel that we would be able to 'game-manage' or McNulty (if your prefer) our way into a quick 2 TDs or perhaps he is comfortable in his new contract and has written off the rest of this year but either way, it was a truly disappointing sight to see.

• Upvote 4

Mac wrote off the year the second he named McNulty the starter. Techincally one could argue he wrote off the year when Greer was named starter.

That wildcat set with a running back taking snaps isn't look so bad now is it.... Haha

He threw in the towel by pretty much naming him starter for next season

• Upvote 6

He threw in the towel by pretty much naming him starter for next season

Which brings up the question. If the coach quits in the team why can't the players? Seems hypocritical to me. He sent a message to the players and the fans that he quit when he named McNulty the "future" of this team. I understand Dajon is not some amazing 5 star quarterback. He is however better than McNulty and has a lot of time to grow. It seems the coaches donor want to invest the time to make him better. Dajon may be stubborn but I refuse to believe he is as lazy as this coaching staff seems to make him out to be.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

He punted on 4th and 1 from the Southern Miss 40 yd line the week before. He's all about that conservative, old fashioned, and out-dated football.

That USM fourth down really bothered me. He basically told his offense that he had no confidence in them. Said the same thing to the defense.

For a team searching for an identity, it's just soul crushing.

• Upvote 3

What upset me is no sign of anger from Mac or anyone that I saw towards the Rice coaching staff when they scored with 1:00 minute left in the game when the game was well in hand. Rice could have easily kneeled the ball, but they didn't. I sure hope Mac told Balliff something, but from what I saw there was nothing but back slaps and praises. Mac should have stuck up for his team. I surely hope I am wrong in my assumptions that Mac said nothing about that last TD by Rice.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

What upset me is no sign of anger from Mac or anyone that I saw towards the Rice coaching staff when they scored with 1:00 minute left in the game when the game was well in hand. Rice could have easily kneeled the ball, but they didn't. I sure hope Mac told Balliff something, but from what I saw there was nothing but back slaps and praises. Mac should have stuck up for his team. I surely hope I am wrong in my assumptions that Mac said nothing about that last TD by Rice.

It's college football, not 2nd grade soccer. If anyone should be pissed it's our defense for letting it happen. TCU's Gary Patterson remembers the west Texas jerk water's laughing at him while the Pirate ran up the score out in Lubbuttocks a few years ago. I'd say after yesterday he gave it back and then some...TCU 82- Lubbuttocks 27.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

He punted on 4th and 1 from the Southern Miss 40 yd line the week before. He's all about that conservative, old fashioned, and out-dated football.

That's one reason why he has on all time LOSING record. He coaches a philosophy that is out of date and doesn't work. He needs to retire, but we are North Texas, we don't expect much.
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

It's college football, not 2nd grade soccer. If anyone should be pissed it's our defense for letting it happen. TCU's Gary Patterson remembers the west Texas jerk water's laughing at him while the Pirate ran up the score out in Lubbuttocks a few years ago. I'd say after yesterday he gave it back and then some...TCU 82- Lubbuttocks 27.

Rick

And he did it with that previous game in mind. No doubt about that. Payback is a B.

• Upvote 1

I've been thinking this for the whole season - and if you go through the games there are moments when the opposition coach trusts his players to executes and calls an aggressive play:

Indiana - onside kick
So Miss - fake punt

The numerous teams who have gone for it on fourth down and converted.

Yet when has Mac ever made a similar call to wrest momentum back? Get his team excited and rocking? I can't think of one moment. And that's the most disappointing aspect of his coaching - he's too old school and too conservative and doesn't put his team in a position to win. Sure, the calls may backfire. But you don't know unless you try and the way the defense is playing it doesn't really matter if it's a long field or a short field - likelihood is they're going to score. So you may as well try and keep the ball and give yourself an opportunity.

• Upvote 1