SMU Reportedly Offers Mack Brown $4 million per year

Mean Green 93-98

TCU had to be taken because of who left and they were easy to get--plus the BIg XII north schools wanted another Texas team to replace A&M for recruiting. A DFW team was better for them than anyone in Houston. TCU and WVU were able to get into the league with very little issue, plus they accepted graded payouts over thier first few years int he league, instead of full payouts.

The SEC isn't taking a private school in DFW. Or in Texas--it doesn't add one cent to their cable payout by getting another Texas team. I could see them going after OU and KU, but nothing in Texas. They want new TV markets that can be added for the SEC Network to get in-state rates. North Carolina and Virginia are the prizes here, since they aren't in those states--yet.

The SEC is the alpha dog right now, and the B1G is next, only becuase of the CIC research money their schools get.

Texas, Tech, and Baylor want absolutely nothing to do with being in a conference again with UH. They could barely handle taking TCU, but they were cheap, eager to join without a big penalty to pay, and they made the northern schools happy to get another opponent in the state of Texas. Hell, DeLoss Dodds didn't even know who TCUs AD, Chris del Conte, was when he showed up to visit with him about joining the conference, but he kissed Deloss' ring and they made it work.

And, yes, as they always have done, Tech is just riding those Longhorn coattails to wherever they can follow them.

Edited by untjim1995

Tech is along for the ride. If they don't know that, they will be told in no uncertain terms.

That's because no one really threatens them & their status as UT's tagalong. TCU is a private school, so they're not really a threat, but bring a large public school (bigger than Tech) into the fold, and risk becoming the 3rd wheel (especially with the downward trajectory coach Bro has them on)... Heaven forbid Houston comes in with any momentum (they're going the wrong way right now, but we all kinda knew they would when Sumlin left).

If any team can build up the cachet that comes with being a powerhouse on a national level, P5 conferences will certainly be interested. I'm not quite sure Mack Brown has the ability to get SMU to that "national powerhouse" level, but I certainly believe he has the ability to set the table for whomever his successor might be.

I don't know why anyone would believe that SMU is dead until they announce that they've given up football and close the doors. All of this legislation only helps them get back in the game. They can't draw flies to watch them play, but they'll be the best compensated G5 team in the land just as soon as the rules allow them to be.

Pretty sad that we've had 30 years to get a leg up on them and have just about missed our window. The clock is ticking.

I don't know why anyone would believe that SMU is dead until they announce that they've given up football and close the doors. All of this legislation only helps them get back in the game. They can't draw flies to watch them play, but they'll be the best compensated G5 team in the land just as soon as the rules allow them to be.

Pretty sad that we've had 30 years to get a leg up on them and have just about missed our window. The clock is ticking.

Just about? Don't be suprised if we end up with the same record.

We beat them and a team they would have beaten.... I'm just super glad we played them before June quit.

(2/2) While we have a great deal of respect for Mack Brown, no one associated with our search has contacted him or his representatives.

— Rick Hart (@AD_RickHart)

October 24, 2014

(3/3) To that end, there has been no offer or discussion of compensation with any potential candidates.

— Rick Hart (@AD_RickHart)

October 24, 2014

While Ponyfans is very excited over Mac Brown, the SMU alums that I've talked to are not so sure about the $4 mill. salary paid totally by an outside group. As one mid-70s grad pointed out to me, that's how the university lost control of the athletic program before. Their board does NOT want to lose control again. Big salary, yes but $4 million might cause issues.

There are a bunch of "ifs" but I think Mack Brown to SMU is a no brainer for both of them.

Then again, the SMU alums I know are probably in the minority. After all they know and associate with at least one NT alum and according to Ponyfans, no SMU alum has ever met an NT alum!

While Ponyfans is very excited over Mac Brown, the SMU alums that I've talked to are not so sure about the $4 mill. salary paid totally by an outside group. As one mid-70s grad pointed out to me, that's how the university lost control of the athletic program before. Their board does NOT want to lose control again. Big salary, yes but $4 million might cause issues.

That was exactly how June Jones's salary was funded--paid completely by a group of 20 boosters.

But again, this all looks to be a moot point, as the salary talk and Mack Brown talk are apparently false rumors (unless the SMU A.D. was lying in those Tweets).