SMU Reportedly Offers Mack Brown $4 million per year

Mean Green 93-98

It would be interesting to see how much of the salary would be paid by the school and how much would be picked up by the boosters.

We have the same opportunity. $800k by the university and $3.2 million by the boosters. That's the way the big boys do it.

June Jones salary was 100% from the Circle of Champions donors, I assume this is the same.

• Upvote 1

i think this is way to much for Mack Brown. Besides I dont think he is that great of a coach considering he couldn't get it done at one of the best, or reputible schools. Especially when all the other schools in the state were struggling.That kind of money could have gotten you someone even better. IMO

• Downvote 1

i think this is way to much for Mack Brown. Besides I dont think he is that great of a coach considering he couldn't get it done at one of the best, or reputible schools. Especially when all the other schools in the state were struggling.That kind of money could have gotten you someone even better. IMO

Just curious--who would you suggest?

As far as speaking of Texas as one of the best (football) schools . . . it hadn't been for a long time before Mack got there. One thing I guarantee Mack Brown will do is bring an infusion of talent into SMU. And he will also bring the connections and the charismatic personality to potentially poke SMU through any doors that might open in future conference reshuffling. Not to mention, he will keep the donor dollars flowing at SMU, which is their lifeblood.

• Upvote 4

If National Championship appearances qualify as "not getting it done" I would love for us to not get it done
  • Upvote 3

I want this to happen if only because

a) that might put a serious dent even in SMUs athletic Budget and

b ) more importantly because pretty much the only thing I enjoyed this season was hanging 40 on SMU and with Brown at SMU I can well imagine that this keeps happening. I don't think he still has the fire in him, to do with 2 and 3 stars, when he couldn't with 4 and 5 stars at UT anymore.

Edited by outoftown

I want this to happen if only because

a) that might put a serious dent even in SMUs athletic Budget and

b ) more importantly because pretty much the only thing I enjoyed this season was hanging 40 on SMU and with Brown at SMU I can well imagine that this keeps happening. I don't think he still has the fire in him, to do with 2 and 3 stars, when he couldn't with 4 and 5 stars at UT anymore.

They have a budget? A budget implies some sort of limit in your spending. When has that ever taken place at $MU?

• Upvote 1

Norm is saying what I said yesterday in my post. SMU will never be in a power conference again. Pay Mack Brown (or anyone else) whatever you want. It won't change anything for SMU. They are too small. They don't offer anything of major advantages that conferences look for. Even TCU, which got into the Big XII because of necessity, will get left behind, most likely with the Big XII's GOR expires. But even if the big XII doesn't die off, they ain't taking freaking SMU. They already have that market covered. Hell, if they won't take UH, then SMU has no chance. And UH isn't moving up to the Big XII, either.

Again, it sounds awesome to pay that kind of money for a coach--maybe it pays off like Larry Brown has for the basketball program. but football and basketball within the NCAA are about as comparable as apples and oranges.

Norm is saying what I said yesterday in my post. SMU will never be in a power conference again. Pay Mack Brown (or anyone else) whatever you want. It won't change anything for SMU. They are too small. They don't offer anything of major advantages that conferences look for. Even TCU, which got into the Big XII because of necessity, will get left behind, most likely with the Big XII's GOR expires. But even if the big XII doesn't die off, they ain't taking freaking SMU. They already have that market covered. Hell, if they won't take UH, then SMU has no chance. And UH isn't moving up to the Big XII, either.

Again, it sounds awesome to pay that kind of money for a coach--maybe it pays off like Larry Brown has for the basketball program. but football and basketball within the NCAA are about as comparable as apples and oranges.

The reason the Big 12 won't take Houston or SMU is that they don't need them. Big 12 already is more of a sell in those media markets than SMU or Houston.

The reason the Big 12 won't take Houston or SMU is that they don't need them. Big 12 already is more of a sell in those media markets than SMU or Houston.

Exactly.

So what P5 conference is going to take one of those two?

No one. They don't offer any other league anything they cannot get closer to home...

It sucks to get slotted, doesn't it SWC also-rans?!!

But yet they took TCU...

Exactly. I still wouldn't rule out UH ending up in the Big 12 if their hand is forced to expand. A&M and LSU represent a large group of eyes in southeast Texas. If UH is indeed a "sleeping giant" the way we imagine/fantasize that UNT is in DFW, it makes all the sense in the world for UH to get the call up to bigs.

Exactly. I still wouldn't rule out UH ending up in the Big 12 if their hand is forced to expand. A&M and LSU represent a large group of eyes in southeast Texas. If UH is indeed a "sleeping giant" the way we imagine/fantasize that UNT is in DFW, it makes all the sense in the world for UH to get the call up to bigs.

I think this scenario would unfold over TX Tech's red-dust-filled, oil-smelling, dead body.