SMU Reportedly Offers Mack Brown $4 million per year

Mean Green 93-98

I remember an article about Lamar Hunt after his first year of owning the Dallas Texans (Kansas City Chiefs). He had lost several million dollars his first year of ownership. A reporter asked his dad, H. L. Hunt, how long Lamar could stand those kind of losses and his dad said, "Oh, about 150 years."

SMU has a lot of rich alumni who also have a lot of rich friends. If we envision any kind of parity with SMU and TCU we'd better get with it now. Win, fill the stadium, win, triple or quadruple Mean Green Club donations, win, 10,000 season tickets and oh, yes...did I mention win? I'd love to see the DFW area become the next Raleigh-Durham with three P5 teams.

• Upvote 2

I remember an article about Lamar Hunt after his first year of owning the Dallas Texans (Kansas City Chiefs). He had lost several million dollars his first year of ownership. A reporter asked his dad, H. L. Hunt, how long Lamar could stand those kind of losses and his dad said, "Oh, about 150 years."

SMU has a lot of rich alumni who also have a lot of rich friends. If we envision any kind of parity with SMU and TCU we'd better get with it now. Win, fill the stadium, win, triple or quadruple Mean Green Club donations, win, 10,000 season tickets and oh, yes...did I mention win? I'd love to see the DFW area become the next Raleigh-Durham with three P5 teams.

Perhaps RV needs to be concerned about all those expensive suites at Apogee stadium that were on 5 yr commitments that end at the end of next year...with the record DanMac is showing...will they renew?

• Upvote 2

This would put Mack in the top 15 paid coaches in the entire country -- he would be crazy not to take this!

I will guess that because he's a coach, and he's got a coach's mindset, then yes, he would be crazy not to take it.

Now were it me, on the other hand, and I'm sitting on several million in the bank, cush TV gig, and 62 years old, I'm gonna spend the rest of my days drinking beer and chasing much, much younger women. I wouldn't need the 24/7 stress of being a college football coach at a school desperate to put its big boy pants on.

• Upvote 3

Jones got $2 mil/year when that was considered outrageous for SMU (I think we were paying our coach less than $300K at the time).

Mack offered $4 mil/year, allegedly.

Nice trend.

GMG

Seems to me that just about everybody here believes this salary arms race is sustainable and somehow a good thing. I see a bubble on the horizon for all but the very highest elite.

• Upvote 1

The Larry Brown hire by SMU was laughed at as a last grasp for greatness using an old burned out coach. It proved to be a good move. Now, if they do the same with Mack Brown will he prove to be an old burned out coach? Time will tell.

Now were it me, on the other hand, and I'm sitting on several million in the bank, cush TV gig, and 62 years old, I'm gonna spend the rest of my days drinking beer and chasing much, much younger women. I wouldn't need the 24/7 stress of being a college football coach at a school desperate to put its big boy pants on.

It's going to come down to fire. If Mack's still got some fire in the belly to coach, then yes, he'd be dumb to pass this up. If he doesn't, he'd be dumb to accept the job.

He's 63, has 2 Big 12 Championships and a BCS National Championship. I don't think he's got anything left to prove to anyone unless he's just righteously pissed about being pushed out at Texas. Mack has never seemed like the kind of guy who gets righteously pissed about anything. If I had that kind of resume, I'd spend my time deep sea fishing out of Port A, quail hunting in West Texas, and vacationing with the wife in Europe.

That's idiotic for SMU, but whatever... I'd personally hire Mark Mangino if I were them. That guy won an Orange Bowl at Kansas and he put 40+ points up against Texas last week as Iowa State's OC (with arguably no more talent than we have). Of course you'd have to deal with the worry that he might have a heart attack any day.

• Upvote 2

That's idiotic for SMU, but whatever... I'd personally hire Mark Mangino if I were them. That guy won an Orange Bowl at Kansas and he put 40+ points up against Texas last week as Iowa State's OC (with arguably no more talent than we have). Of course you'd have to deal with the worry that he might have a heart attack any day.

Right, but then there's no buy-out.

Think KU is missing Mangino a bit?

• Upvote 1

They could pay him $10 million and they still aren't getting any P5 invite. They can think they are TCU or Baylor, but they blew their chance

You know what? I'm jealous. I'm jealous someone else always gets to make the splash hire. I admit my jealousy. And I wish our admin was half as delusional as that of SMU.

And yeah, they're probably not going anywhere new anytime soon... but if conferences indeed make the move to 16, they're a nice fit for the ever-expanding SEC footprint. Just saying...

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 3

Pair Mack up with some young up and coming coordinators that can recruit and you have a great opportunity to make an impact. I'm sorry but 63 is not old. He still has some years to coach and I think he wants to or he wouldn't even be entertaining it.