Relationship between UNT coach, QB's family comes full circle

Harry

DENTON — The trips to Iowa State are what Andrew McNulty remembers most about the genesis of a relationship that would shape his life in ways he never imagined.

Back when he was growing up in Iowa City, Iowa, McNulty would pile into the car with his father, Jim, and brother, Ted, for drives across the state to Ames to see Dan McCarney’s Cyclones play.

Jim McNulty and McCarney were teammates at Iowa in the early 1970s and have been friends ever since.

“I remember the games, and particularly when they beat Iowa,” McNulty said. “I had a lot of fun at those games.”

Years later, McCarney, still chasing wins and bowl bids, is leaning on McNulty, the kid who used to come by the locker room and then his house after games, to help guide the way.

McNulty made his second start at UNT and first since 2011 last week, when he threw for 287 yards in the Mean Green’s 30-20 loss to Southern Miss. The performance helped him hang onto the job heading into Saturday’s game at Rice.

UNT (2-5) has little margin for error if it wants to make a run at a second straight bowl game. McCarney is pinning the Mean Green’s hopes to a large extent on McNulty, who UNT’s coach has known since he was crawling around in diapers.

read more: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/unt-mean-green/20141022-relationship-between-unt-coach-qb-s-family-comes-full-circle-decades-later.ece

I think if he were playing favorites McNulty would have been the starter since the UT game. Be honest, Greer and Williams were given a fair shot and they didn't take advantage of the opportunity.

One of my favorites:

Player: If you'll give me a chance I'll show you what I can do.

Coach: If you show me what you can do I'll give you a chance.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

I feel like there is and double standard when it comes to McNulty on here and I'm guilty of it too, do you think if McNulty went out there and had a game like Dajon did against UAB everyone would still want to give him another chance like they do with Dajon? I'm withholding judgment on him until I see at least one more game, just like I did with Dajon and Greer.

The play calling has been different between the Dajon and McNulty games. I cannot speak on Dajons lack of mental toughness or work ethic. I can however see clearly that the coaches mishandled Dajons start at UAB. He could have done what McNulty did against USM. USM was a terrible team and McNulty had safe plays called for him. Safe plays that were not enough to win. Just enough to make him look like he was a decent QB. Maybe I am wrong and McNulty will go out and throw 4 tds and 300 yards against rice. If that happens great. If he goes out and throws 14 of 17 for 120 yards and a TD then I am still not sold. The playing calling is too conservative and he is being protected.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The play calling has been different between the Dajon and McNulty games. I cannot speak on Dajons lack of mental toughness or work ethic. I can however see clearly that the coaches mishandled Dajons start at UAB. He could have done what McNulty did against USM. USM was a terrible team and McNulty had safe plays called for him. Safe plays that were not enough to win. Just enough to make him look like he was a decent QB. Maybe I am wrong and McNulty will go out and throw 4 tds and 300 yards against rice. If that happens great. If he goes out and throws 14 of 17 for 120 yards and a TD then I am still not sold. The playing calling is too conservative and he is being protected.

So, two coaches who have been at it for decades conspired to make a player they put on scholarship look bad and lose games for them?

That makes sense.

• Upvote 6

That's why Thompson, Greer and Williams all were started ahead of him.

He's never been good enough to be outright given the job without it being too obvious. Even this year he wasn't good enough to take over for Greer... But as soon as a freshman makes freshman mistakes in a throw away season....

• Upvote 1

He's never been good enough to be outright given the job without it being too obvious. Even this year he wasn't good enough to take over for Greer... But as soon as a freshman makes freshman mistakes in a throw away season....

Then I guess the QB's that were given the starting job ahead of him should have produced and he would kept his rightful place on the bench.

I'm no McNulty fan, but it's ridiculous to say he was given the job because of his relationship to the coach. He was 3rd string and neither guy ahead of him was able to keep the job. I'm betting if he has a game like Dajon did against either Indiana or UAB he will be replaced.

The Fake Lonnie Finch is spot on: the coaches are sabotaging themselves so that McNulty can play QB? WOW!

Edited by NT93

North Texas never would have offered McNulty if Coach Mac hadn't been friends with his dad, even if the staff had been made aware of him. There appeared to be some favoritism going on his first year, particularly with setting up McNulty to score the first Apogee TD. But I just don't see the way things have shaken out this year as favoritism or nepotism at all. The other two scholarship QBs were given opportunities to start before he was, and they bombed.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1

I'm still on the DW bus, but McNulty is the QB for now whether we like it or not.

Finally got the chance to watch the DVR'd game. Still has some mechanics issues, but

Got to give McNulty credit where credit is due. He is one tough kid, and he faces pressure well, taking some good hits and getting right back up. The biggest mistake he made was not keeping the ball on a zone read. That's not terrible.

He was underthrowing the deep ball slightly (see: mechanics), but he was placing it very well for Harris. And hey, a deep pass! He was throwing him open. He's also not afraid to put it in a tight window (granted, nearly picked off). He didn't pass for TDs due to play calling, but I liked what I saw.

Overall I think he did well against Southern Miss. He was calm and poised. Terrell could not catch several clean balls, and Smiley and Kidsy were also causing drives to stall with horrible drops.

He's definitely not the reason we lost last week, which cannot be said for DW the past two weeks. Decision-making from McNulty is clearly more developed and calm than DW. We need that right now.

• Upvote 3