UNT Football Scholarship Spreadsheet

NorthTexan95

8 hours ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Appreciate you guys. i believe you accidentally left off Trevor Moore just so you know.

Ooops.  He's back in there.  There were a few other little things that weren't all correct like the order of players within a position by time remaining.  Those have been corrected as well 

8 hours ago, MeanGreen13 said:

Sed Ellis?

Not on the official roster. Didn't he graduate?  I can't remember with all the changes I've made the past few weeks.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

No, he didn't. Was a true junior last year. But you're right, he's not on the roster. Wow.

Am I imagining things or did someone on here say that we only have 1 more scholarship to give? I can't find the post now but I remember reading that. How can that be with the current roster and new scholarship commits being way below the limit?

27 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Am I imagining things or did someone on here say that we only have 1 more scholarship to give? I can't find the post now but I remember reading that. How can that be with the current roster and new scholarship commits being way below the limit?

I heard something about that too, it was referenced to something about Mac... I can not remember exactly where I saw it either. 

3 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I heard something about that too, it was referenced to something about Mac... I can not remember exactly where I saw it either. 

Okay, I knew I wasn't crazy. Someone on here said they heard it and that it "had something to do with Mac." I couldn't find the source of their reference though. I thought we could sign up to the full 25 this year and that those scholarship we didn't fill were still available. 

8 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Okay, I knew I wasn't crazy. Someone on here said they heard it and that it "had something to do with Mac." I couldn't find the source of their reference though. I thought we could sign up to the full 25 this year and that those scholarship we didn't fill were still available. 

Wonder if it was the amount of walk-ons he put on ship?? 

Interesting note, only have 5 players from out of state on the roster.  

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Wonder if it was the amount of walk-ons he put on ship?? 

That was my first inclination. Maybe a lot of the guys listed as walk-ons were put on scholarship without us knowing about it. Good for them, but that kinda pisses me off if it is a big reason our class was so small this year. Maybe he knew his time was coming and wanted to give those guys scholarships before a new staff came in... 

On April 21, 2015 at 8:27 AM, BillySee58 said:

This is the reason we had to count Buyers, Macek, Kirby, and Skip Caldwell towards our 2014 class. By this rule we should've had to count Andy Flusche, Sheldon Wade, Erick Evans, Eric Keena, and I believe Michael Banogu towards our 2015 class. However, we didn't and we were able to sign 25 high school and JUCO players.

I don't know if there was a rule change or what, but those guys I mentioned only spent 1 season on the team as walkons before being put on scholarship, yet still were not counted towards our class. I would imagine that will be the case with Fernandes, Bean, and Rice.

@ChristopherRyanWilkes@GMG24

Here's a post from earlier in this thread. Basically says we had to count Kenny Buyers, Blake Macek, Kaydon Kirby, and Skip Caldwell towards our 2014 class, because they were put on scholarship after spending just one season with us as walkons.

The rule, as I've understood it, is that if a player spends less than two full seasons as a member of an FBS team as a walkon before being placed on scholarship then he has to count as an initial counter (re: part of the 25-max man class). Those four I just mentioned were on the team in 2012 as walkons, but were placed on scholarship prior to the 2013 season, thus requiring us to count them towards the next recruiting class (class of 2014).

So knowing this, the next year I anticipated we would have to count the players who spent 2013 as walkons but were placed on scholarship before the 2014 season towards the 2015 class. Those players were Andy Flusche, Erick Evans, Michael Banogu, Eric Keena, and Sheldon Wade. Five former walkons needing to count as initial counters.

However, Mccarney ended up signing a full 25-man recruiting class in 2015, which did not include any of those five former walkons. In short, if you're still following, maybe Mccarney was able to push those five former walkons back a class. Littrell signed 19 this class. If you add those five I mentioned then that would put us at 24 spots for the class, which would explain us only having one more open spot.

In short, Mccarney may have screwed us past his firing due to his awful roster management.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Here's a post from earlier in this thread. Basically says we had to count Kenny Buyers, Blake Macek, Kaydon Kirby, and Skip Caldwell towards our 2014 class, because they were put on scholarship after spending just one season with us as walkons.

The rule, as I've understood it, is that if a player spends less than two full seasons as a member of an FBS team as a walkon before being placed on scholarship then he has to count as an initial counter (re: part of the 25-max man class). Those four I just mentioned were on the team in 2012 as walkons, but were placed on scholarship prior to the 2013 season, thus requiring us to count them towards the next recruiting class (class of 2014).

So knowing this, the next year I anticipated we would have to count the players who spent 2013 as walkons but were placed on scholarship before the 2014 season towards the 2015 class. Those players were Andy Flusche, Erick Evans, Michael Banogu, Eric Keena, and Sheldon Wade. Five former walkons needing to count as initial counters.

However, Mccarney ended up signing a full 25-man recruiting class in 2015, which did not include any of those five former walkons. In short, if you're still following, maybe Mccarney was able to push those five former walkons back a class. Littrell signed 19 this class. If you add those five I mentioned then that would put us at 24 spots for the class, which would explain us only having one more open spot.

In short, Mccarney may have screwed us past his firing due to his awful roster management.

Awesome explanation man, this makes total sense.

I had a feeling it had something to do with walk-on's but I had no idea what the rule was on that. Wow, like I said, this pisses me off. Seems like he was trying to save his job by signing as many recruits (particularly JuCos) as possible while still also adding those guys he promised scholarships to. He probably very well knew that this was going to effect our next signing class but it wouldn't matter to him if his plan didn't work out and he wasn't here anymore.

Ugh. 

This does make me feel better knowing Littrell was just playing the cards he'd been dealt by signing only 17 recruits this class. Hope his roster management is a lot better than McCarney's. Thanks, sorry I missed the earlier post.

18 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

If this is true, then we're possibly counting dudes that don't even have any more eligibility left (Bean) in the 2016 class?   If so, that's crap.

7 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Awesome explanation man, this makes total sense.

I had a feeling it had something to do with walk-on's but I had no idea what the rule was on that. Wow, like I said, this pisses me off. Seems like he was trying to save his job by signing as many recruits (particularly JuCos) as possible while still also adding those guys he promised scholarships to. He probably very well knew that this was going to effect our next signing class but it wouldn't matter to him if his plan didn't work out and he wasn't here anymore.

Ugh. 

This does make me feel better knowing Littrell was just playing the cards he'd been dealt by signing only 17 recruits this class. Hope his roster management is a lot better than McCarney's. Thanks, sorry I missed the earlier post.

No need to apologize. It was in this thread, but that post was almost a year old. I don't know if it's true or not, but it makes sense if what we're hearing on the numbers is true. I honestly don't know much about these type of situations because you just don't see this type of thing nationally in recruiting.

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If this is true, then we're possibly counting dudes that don't even have any more eligibility left (Bean) in the 2016 class?   If so, that's crap.

There may be a work around like Billy said where you can sign up to the full 25 not counting walk-on's but you have to count those walk-on's to the next year's class. Most coaches probably don't do this though because they know it will screw them on their scholarship limit the next year. It's total crap if true. 

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If what I explained is true then we might have to count Bean, Fernandes, and Rice toward our 2017 class. If it's true then we just had to use a spot in this class last week on Sheldon Wade, who last played back in 2014. 

43 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

If what I explained is true then we might have to count Bean, Fernandes, and Rice toward our 2017 class. If it's true then we just had to use a spot in this class last week on Sheldon Wade, who last played back in 2014. 

If true, then I don't mind using one on Rice and even Fernandes, but it really sucks that we would have to use 2 on Wade & Bean who aren't even here... and even when they were, made minimal impact.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Deleted McNair, Wallace, and Smith. 

Isn't Morris on Ship? Also Henson  OL from TV?  You had 2 OL in the DL section was that a prediction of who moves to DL?  I'm just messing but seriously thanks for putting this together!!  Makes for an interesting look at roster management. 

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Isn't Morris on Ship? Also Henson  OL from TV?  You had 2 OL in the DL section was that a prediction of who moves to DL?  I'm just messing but seriously thanks for putting this together!!  Makes for an interesting look at roster management. 

That's why I always need y'all help to keep this as accurate as possible.  I'm not sure why I had those two recruits under the DL area.  I've corrected that.  I've added "ships" to Morris and Henson.  I corrected a minor calculation error.  I also correct a couple of other typos. 

14 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

That's why I always need y'all help to keep this as accurate as possible.  I'm not sure why I had those two recruits under the DL area.  I've corrected that.  I've added "ships" to Morris and Henson.  I corrected a minor calculation error.  I also correct a couple of other typos. 

Cool, didn't wanna step on toes.   I heard from a reliable source we were at 72 ships.  That was a few weeks after NSD

2 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

I noticed that Dominick Walker is still on the list.  And, I could be wrong, but I thought that Daniel Khan had been given a scholarship by McCarney. Maybe his injury delayed that and that promise hasn't been fulfilled.

You're correct. Khan is on scholarship and Walker is gone

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

You're correct. Khan is on scholarship and Walker is gone

Updated.

3 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Cool, didn't wanna step on toes.   I heard from a reliable source we were at 72 ships.  That was a few weeks after NSD

I live in Virginia with no inside sources other than this site.  You'd have to step pretty far to reach my toes.  I want to keep this chart as accurate as possible and that can't be done without help from everyone.  The way things change so often and so quickly with no notice, I doubt it's ever 100% accurate but we keep working on it. 

• Upvote 2