Mac provided some hope for the fans tonight

Harry

I listened to the Coach Mac Radio show this evening and came away feeling a lot better about the situation. The link to the audio will be posted here but here are a couple of notes:

- despite the loss to USM, there was a lot of improvement in the program in this last game.

- There is no quit or attitude issues. The team is working hard to get better.

- the defensive breakdowns were identified and are correctable

- freshman defensive back Kishawn McClain played a great game in his first start. They REALLY like this kid and think he can be special.

- He was real please with winning the turnover battle against USM (2-0). You get the sense that if we can force more turnovers than we lose his blood pressure goes down ie you didn'tgive a game away.

- McNulty did not turn the ball over and if not for a couple of plays (the incorrect holding call on the touchdown, dropped passes, missed field goal) we were right in the game.

- McNulty plays smart and will limit the mistakes for the rest of the season. We will not be giving games away as we did before. Mac was really pleased with his performance against USM.

- The defense returns some key guys this week. Tillman Johnson should be back in action. Zach Whitfield and Sheldon Wade as well. The running back Wilson may be ready to go on offense.

- I think I heard that they are redshirting 16 guys from the last class right now. They had Offensive linemen Sam Rice and Chris Miles as the guests and they are apparently doing really well in practices. Both well spoken intelligent.

- Mac talked about how you need players to step up and recruiting was important. He emphasized that you really don't see the effects of the success from last season until the next year (this class). He seemed very confident that they had a really good group this year.

- There are 5 games left and a lot can still be accomplished (true).

- There are a lot of young players out there right now who are still figuring things out. The should get better on reads and make fewer mistakes.

I came away feeling a lot better especially in terms of how he was feeling about this upcoming recruiting class and the fact we have so many guys redshirting. Sure there is some coach speak mixed in but he didn't appear to concerned, disappointed yes but he seems to have a handle on things and sees the team performing better now that they have addressed the turnover issue.

I'm excited about Chris Miles. He's the most highly recruited offensive lineman we've ever signed during the recruiting website era, going solely off of listed offers (12 D1 offers). His development is huge, with our three 4-year starters at o-line graduating this year.

I don't know where the number 16 comes from, as far as redshirting guys. We had 21 signees between our FBS transfer, juco, and high school kids, 3 didn't make it in or are gone (Adams, Davis, and Denucci) and we've seen the three jucos and FBS transfer (Akii Smith, Josh Greer, Dash), and as far as true freshmen we've seen 5 (Mcclain, Wilson, Ivery, Johnson, Moore). That leaves 9 guys who are redshirting (Goree, Garner, Jones, Fortenberry, Miles, Tauaalo, Means, Montgomery, and Rutherford). I'm pretty sure none of those 9 have seen the field this year. So yeah, not sure where 16 came from. Maybe he's counting the walkons, I guess.

• Upvote 1

I don't mind coach speak. It's part of the job of coaching. It's included in the definition of coaching. "A method of directing, instructing and training a person or group of people, with the aim to achieve some goal or develop specific skills. There are many ways to coach, types of coaching and methods to coaching. Direction may include motivational speaking and training may include seminars, workshops, and supervised practice."

You can't coach a player up without coach speak. "Win one for the Gipper" was pure coach speak. Coach speak is as much a part of football as the touchdown or tackle. In fact, you don't get any touchdowns or tackles without coach speak.

• Upvote 2

I'm excited about Chris Miles. He's the most highly recruited offensive lineman we've ever signed during the recruiting website era, going solely off of listed offers (12 D1 offers). His development is huge, with our three 4-year starters at o-line graduating this year.

I don't know where the number 16 comes from, as far as redshirting guys. We had 21 signees between our FBS transfer, juco, and high school kids, 3 didn't make it in or are gone (Adams, Davis, and Denucci) and we've seen the three jucos and FBS transfer (Akii Smith, Josh Greer, Dash), and as far as true freshmen we've seen 5 (Mcclain, Wilson, Ivery, Johnson, Moore). That leaves 9 guys who are redshirting (Goree, Garner, Jones, Fortenberry, Miles, Tauaalo, Means, Montgomery, and Rutherford). I'm pretty sure none of those 9 have seen the field this year. So yeah, not sure where 16 came from. Maybe he's counting the walkons, I guess.

Maybe Chumley ? Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 1

Adarius Epps and Sam Rice are both sitting out a year. And the two defensive backs from New Mexico the twins.

I guess if you consider sitting out as redshirting. Epps and the twins have all already used their redshirts anyways, so they're just burning up a year rather than redshirting. Plus they're currently walking on. Rice is using his redshirt this year (didnt redshirt at SMU). I wonder if Rice came in on scholarship. Never got official word on that. Our secondary is pretty thin. The twins should have a shot to crack the rotation.

We've been talking a lot about the 2012 class and how many left from that class or have not played meaningful snaps yet. Rice and the twins were three recruits we were so close to signing that year. Along with Epps, who we were never close to signing but was a 2012 kid, those guys could help salvage that class a little.

I guess if you consider sitting out as redshirting. Epps and the twins have all already used their redshirts anyways, so they're just burning up a year rather than redshirting. Plus they're currently walking on. Rice is using his redshirt this year (didnt redshirt at SMU). I wonder if Rice came in on scholarship. Never got official word on that. Our secondary is pretty thin. The twins should have a shot to crack the rotation.

We've been talking a lot about the 2012 class and how many left from that class or have not played meaningful snaps yet. Rice and the twins were three recruits we were so close to signing that year. Along with Epps, who we were never close to signing but was a 2012 kid, those guys could help salvage that class a little.

The Jackson twins will get their shot next year. They were both good at press coverage in high school, and I am sure they still work at it. They work hard on technique too. They are not as tall as their listed height, but they can play. We might see more press coverage next year if they can get in.

Whitfield is graduating in December. I dont see him staying around. Especially if he has injury issues and he is not starting. Getting the twins may be a big time help.

• Upvote 1

Wish he could explain how we go from beating the same team 52-14 last to losing 30-20 with your own recruits? Red Flags anyone on the recruiting.

A loss is a loss regardless of score and how close it might have been, all about execution and the outside of the phony hold, the team did not execute enough to win. Forget the coach speak and just win.

• Upvote 1

Wish he could explain how we go from beating the same team 52-14 last to losing 30-20 with your own recruits? Red Flags anyone on the recruiting.

A loss is a loss regardless of score and how close it might have been, all about execution and the outside of the phony hold, the team did not execute enough to win. Forget the coach speak and just win.

How did we beat a team 34-7 in 2013 that had beaten us 38-21 the year before?

Was this Golden Eagles team the exact same team that they beat 52-14 last season? That's really the only valid comparison.

For starters, Nick Mullens was making his first career NCAA start in last year's game. He's improved quite a bit since then. Second, So. Miss's lead rusher in this season's game was a freshman. Then there's the fact that the Golden Eagles were win-less headed into that game last year. It may not seem like it, but your motivation headed into a game with an 0-6 record and an 18 game losing streak is quite a bit different than entering 2-4 and actually boasting a 3-4 record over your last seven.

My point is, yes . . . this season has sucked so far and has been hard to endure, but I've still got a good outlook for the future. I could be wrong, but anyone posting here could be. But I still have faith in this coaching staff. After all, last season proved that given the right group of guys, they can do it.

Not to mention, Southern Miss. recruited in the off-season too, I believe. They held spring workouts and summer camps too, I'm willing to bet. It's pretty ridiculous to expect that they didn't get better from last year to this year.

I will say I'm concerned at this point being 2-5, but I'm not sounding any alarms, yet. There's still opportunity to right this ship and if we can't, then we've got a lot to learn from towards next season.

Edited by TheFranchise
  • Upvote 4