MGN: Souther Miss Reaction

aztecskin

Decent summary, and one I can get on board with. I can see how once you're on Mac's "bad side" it's probably near impossible to get back on his "good side" - which is bad news for Dajon Williams.

If McNulty starts the rest of the way (and I think he will, baring injury or another turnover-fest) then I wonder what the effect on Dajon will be. If I were in his shoes, I'd redouble my work effort, especially during the winter and over summer 2015 and make near certain that I claim the starting QB job without any doubts. But what's more likely to happen is he'll transfer and it'll be another "if only" story that is the hallmark of UNT QBs.

I'm not quite ready to bail on Mac as I've been impressed when I've seen him and how he's been able to (somewhat) turn the program around, but I wish he weren't so conservative with his in-game management. Sometimes it takes a gutsy playcall and execution to turn around a season - e.g. USM's fake punt call last weekend.

In this off-season I think Canales and Skladeny need to go. It goes back to Dajon - I just don't think he and Canales click and a new OC could be just what the doctor ordered to help out our anemic offense. Sure, the defense has its problems, but at the same time if you take away the offensive turnovers-for-scores, the defense hasn't given up that many points. So I understand why Mac is more concerned with a QB who takes care of the ball than one who makes explosive plays/can convert third downs.

I can't see a way for UNT to win four of their remaining five games to become bowl eligible. Rice will stomp us in their own back yard, especially as they're rolling and want to avenge last year, UTSA have a decent QB and we're playing in San Antonio; likewise for UTEP - which is probably our best chance of an away win. FAU and FIU at home are toss-ups, but given the way our season is going I can see those being narrow losses as well. The best we can hope for IMO is three more wins.