i just don't get it...

BIG DAWG

McNulty didn't threw any interceptions and had an overall good game, but we complain about the quality of his completions.

He did nothing to lose the job, so I expect he will start this week and probably beyond.

This team is in turmoil and may very well be embarrassed in the remaining games, no matter who is the quarterback.

I would be more willing to endure a DW learning year is we had more than one wide receiver, if our D wasn't giving up 500 yards to a 2 win team and most importantly if DW at least gave the appearance of wanting to work a lot harder. None of those things are happening now.

With those additional facts, having a QB who doesn't make mistakes becomes more important than training a QB.

Dear Cerebus,

There are other quarterbacks on the planet not named Dajon Williams or Andrew McNulty.

Really could you tell me which one of these multitude of QB's we could play THIS YEAR and hoepfully improve?

Some may even come to UNT in the near future. Some may already be on the roster.

What is it with this fanbase thinking that the magic bullet is always around the corner? For all we know NONE of the qb's we sign in the near future, or even waiting on the roster, are any good. They may all be Brock Berglunds.

What we do know is that we have a qb on the team who threw 3 tds against a P5 team once (exactly the same number of time DT threw for 3 tds in a game in his entire career.) That same QB then turned around and had one of the worst games I have ever seen.

Seems to me that we have a qb with real ability, who probably is relying too much on natural ability and not enough in film study. He seems to think he can force every play. A good way to learn that isn't the truth is to go out and see it on the field.

The world does not stop spinning if Dajon or Andrew are sitting on the bench in 2015 watching a real quarterback do what they couldn't in 2014.

Again, zero guarantee that Means or anyone else is a "real" qb. We have five games left this year, and no real chance of making a bowl. We can either forget this year and not see if anyone can be taught, or we can try and do something with a qb who has shown some highs and lows.

• Upvote 2

I would be more willing to endure a DW learning year is we had more than one wide receiver, if our D wasn't giving up 500 yards to a 2 win team and most importantly if DW at least gave the appearance of wanting to work a lot harder. None of those things are happening now.

With those additional facts, having a QB who doesn't make mistakes becomes more important than training a QB.

Strongly disagree.

This is McNulty's fourth year with this system. Do you really think there is much of a chance he suddenly improves? Look we can either play a qb with 4 years in the system, and win 1 or 2 more games OR we can play a very young qb to see if he improves, and win 1 or 2 more games.

We aren't getting to a bowl this year. There are too many things broken on this team. What the hell good does it do us to roll out AM instead of DW? So that those 3-4 losses we roll up are by 10 instead of 21?

DW may not ever be able to learn how to harness his ability, or he might have something click. That's what we are giving up.

• Upvote 3

Really could you tell me which one of these multitude of QB's we could play THIS YEAR and hoepfully improve?

What is it with this fanbase thinking that the magic bullet is always around the corner? For all we know NONE of the qb's we sign in the near future, or even waiting on the roster, are any good. They may all be Brock Berglunds.

What we do know is that we have a qb on the team who threw 3 tds against a P5 team once (exactly the same number of time DT threw for 3 tds in a game in his entire career.) That same QB then turned around and had one of the worst games I have ever seen.

Seems to me that we have a qb with real ability, who probably is relying too much on natural ability and not enough in film study. He seems to think he can force every play. A good way to learn that isn't the truth is to go out and see it on the field.

Again, zero guarantee that Means or anyone else is a "real" qb. We have five games left this year, and no real chance of making a bowl. We can either forget this year and not see if anyone can be taught, or we can try and do something with a qb who has shown some highs and lows.

And again, 2 of those 3 TDs came in garbage time in the 4th quarter after we were down 42-10. A legit starter wouldn't have even been in the game at that point.

And he followed up that career game by scoring 3 TDs against worse competition... FOR THE OTHER TEAM!!

Never ceases to amaze me how people on here will find one stat and hang on to it for dear life just so they don't have to admit they were wrong.

And you, my friend, are becoming one of the worst offenders.

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 6

For those of you saying to bail on this year only to prep DaJon for next season.

#1. That's unfair to this year's seniors.

#2. Hello!

herm-edwards.jpg

If a bus-driving McNulty gives you a better chance to win TODAY, play him.

If an athletic Williams gives you a better chance to win TODAY, play him.
If a redshirt-wearing Means gives you a better chance to win TODAY, play him.

If uh, Greer... uh...

• Upvote 5

Strongly disagree.

This is McNulty's fourth year with this system. Do you really think there is much of a chance he suddenly improves? Look we can either play a qb with 4 years in the system, and win 1 or 2 more games OR we can play a very young qb to see if he improves, and win 1 or 2 more games.

We aren't getting to a bowl this year. There are too many things broken on this team. What the hell good does it do us to roll out AM instead of DW? So that those 3-4 losses we roll up are by 10 instead of 21?

DW may not ever be able to learn how to harness his ability, or he might have something click. That's what we are giving up.

How do you motivate other players to work harder while rewarding a player who doesn't? How do you convince the receivers not named Carlos Harris to spend more time, practice harder and concentrate in games when you then start a quarterback to we hear isn't doing any of that?

If DW was putting the the needed work and still looked like he did in Birmingham I think we let him learn. But all of the news stories about how he's working have stopped and those connected to the team now question his work ethic.

There are just too many problems with starting DW. Let him put in some work first and earn his starts.

Edited by VideoEagle

And again, 2 of those 3 TDs came in garbage time in the 4th quarter after we were down 42-10. A legit starter wouldn't have even been in the game at that point.

I knew you would use the "garbage time" argument. I guess DT never had any time against second and third teamers? Yet he only managed to throw 3 tds in a game once. In other words, it's hard for QB's around here to throw 3 TD against anyone, much less a B10 team.

And he followed up that career game by scoring 3 TDs against worse competition... FOR THE OTHER TEAM!!

Never ceases to amaze me how people on here will find one stat and hang on to it for dear life just so they don't have to admit they were wrong.

And you, my friend, are becoming one of the worst offenders.

Pot meet kettle.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Not when you are 32 points down and throwing every down against DBs playing 15 yards off the LOS.

You know, football.

Do you even get embarrassed about being wrong anymore?

Times DT was down big, how many TD's he threw:

2011 FIU down 31, 0 TD

2011 HOU down 31, 1 TD

2011 Ala down 41, 0 TD

Minimac had some of these also

2011 Tulsa down 31, 0 TD

2011 Ark St down 31, 0 TD

• Upvote 4

Do you even get embarrassed about being wrong anymore?

Times DT was down big, how many TD's he threw:

2011 FIU down 31, 0 TD

2011 HOU down 31, 1 TD

2011 Ala down 41, 0 TD

Minimac had some of these also

2011 Tulsa down 31, 0 TD

2011 Ark St down 31, 0 TD

So, to try and prove a terrible point, you are arguing about production in garbage time?

Guess what, it's garbage time.

You know, football.

• Downvote 4

So, to try and prove a terrible point, you are arguing about production in garbage time?

Guess what, it's garbage time.

You know, football.

You implied throwing TD's in garbage time was easy. It's not. I proved that, based upon the production of a QB you love.

If throwing TD's in garbage time is not easy, it has some value. Despite how terrible the UAB game was, the highest performance any UNT QB has had this year is DW @ Indiana.

He also has the most potential. I didn't say that, the coaches did. Repeatedly. So we have a QB with a lot of potential, who has already shown more than any other QB. He has one terrible game and we sit him? Doesn't make sense.

• Upvote 6

You implied throwing TD's in garbage time was easy. It's not. I proved that, based upon the production of a QB you love.

If throwing TD's in garbage time is not easy, it has some value. Despite how terrible the UAB game was, the highest performance any UNT QB has had this year is DW @ Indiana.

He also has the most potential. I didn't say that, the coaches did. Repeatedly. So we have a QB with a lot of potential, who has already shown more than any other QB. He has one terrible game and we sit him? Doesn't make sense.

You don't get it, so let me say it louder.

NOTHING MATTERS IN GARBAGE TIME.

NOTHING.

Get it?

Get back to me when DW isn't getting worse and when he goes 31-47 for 274 and ZERO INTERCEPTIONS, including running for the winning score, in a victory that turns a season around and leads to a Bowl. A bowl of which this QB was the freaking MVP.

Again, a really, really, really dumb argument to prove a lost point. I don't know why you keep trying.

And yes, DW should be starting, but only because we have zero other options at QB and don't have a FBS QB on this roster.

But that doesn't come without risks. Mac risks losing this team and dividing a locker room by starting a player that hasn't worked to earn that start.

• Downvote 3

NOTHING MATTERS IN GARBAGE TIME.

NOTHING.

Get it?

I DISAGREE THAT NOTHING MATTERS IN GARBAGE TIME.

Get it?

And yes, DW should be starting

Then why are we arguing? We both think DW should be starting.

Mac risks losing this team and dividing a locker room by starting a player that hasn't worked to earn that start.

If you had talked to anyone actually in the locker room you would know that's not why he is risking losing this team.

• Upvote 2

I DISAGREE THAT NOTHING MATTERS IN GARBAGE TIME.

Get it?

Then why are we arguing? We both think DW should be starting.

If you had talked to anyone actually in the locker room you would know that's not why he is risking losing this team.

Because you chose to insanely make this about a DW and DT comparison.

Because I don't think DW will be starting next year.

Because I don't think we win another game with DW at QB (but that really doesn't matter, because we may not win another game regardless of the QB).

Dajon may have the talent to be a great QB, but it doesn't matter anymore now. He fell out of grace with McCarney off the field, and now he has fallen out of grace with him on the field. He may play some this year if McNulty gets hurt, but he will never start another game here. I think there 's a very good chance that he isn't even on the roster after this season. Coach McCarney is old-school in every imaginable way. He wants a busdriver first. That will never be DW's strength because he is better in open space. I suspect that our QB next year is either McNulty as a senior QB, where he will be sold as being the next Derek Thompson, or it is someone not on this team. But it won't be Dajon or Greer, both of whom I think will transfer to somewhere else to play. Dajon most definitely can play--IF he finds the right system and the coach for his talents. It is just very apparent that it isn't here, as much as I wish that wasn't the case. I do think you could have a high level QB by this time next year if you can get him to play an offense that fits him--but that offense isn't the one we are throwing out there right now, nor is it the one we have been running here since Mac got here.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1

Yes, but we can have "hope" that whomever the next QB is doesn't give the opponent three TDs, plus two more short field turnovers.

See, it's not just Greer that set the bar low. Dajon has also set a very low threshold for the 2015 - whomever and wherever he may be today - to be considered a success.

(1) Unlike Greer, he must be able to complete passes.

(2) Unlike Williams, he must be able to take care of the football.

Not high bars to cross. We already know that Greer and Williams can't do it. The jury is out on McNulty, but after four years here, we're all looking to the future...for someone else.

So, whether it's Mean or someone who signs or transfers in after the season, they really don't have to do much to outperform Greer and Williams combined.

• Downvote 1