i just don't get it...

BIG DAWG

I'm with you Big Dawg, 100%.

The only thing I can think is that Mac thinks the upcoming games are "winnable" and sees the program bleeding. He's doing anything he can to stitch the cuts up. Offensive TOs were a problem so he switched the QB and went back to his uber conservative gameplan. Now he's got to deal with the defense. How's he going to stitch that gash up?

Will QB play be a problem again?

• Upvote 4

QB play is the least of our worries.

Rick

This.

Complaining about the QBs, at this point, would be akin to an East Berliner in 1977 complaining about a single brick in the Berlin Wall.

But, as long as we are talking about the QBs...

...my two cents is, because they are all bad, please go with the one who makes the least mistakes. At least we were in this thing throughout the whole ball game. Why punish an already faltering defense with QBs who keep putting them in bad positions?

If they are not going to pull Means' 'shirt, stick with McNulty. A loss is a loss is a loss. But, 30-20 is much more palatable than 56-21.

Awful. Can't believe I really believe that.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

This.

Complaining about the QBs, at this point, would be akin to an East Berliner in 1977 complaining about a single brick in the Berlin Wall.

But, as long as we are talking about the QBs...

...my two cents is, because they are all bad, please go with the one who makes the least mistakes. At least we were in this thing throughout the whole ball game. Why punish an already faltering defense with QBs who keep putting them in bad positions?

If they are not going to pull Means' 'shirt, stick with McNulty. A loss is a loss is a loss. But, 30-20 is much more palatable than 56-21.

Awful. Can't believe I really believe that.

And I can't believe I agree with everything you just said.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

TFLF's approach only works if you care about trying to squeak out four or five wins this year, instead of trying to make us a good as possible next year.

We're not going to a bowl, we're in last place of the weaker division of the conference this year. Let's use this year to try and get ready for next.

Even Mac has said that Dajon has the highest ceiling. Get him in this year, make mistake, learn. Next year he should have enough experience and knowledge to make Means taking the job from him difficult.

You can tell from the player body language that most of them would rather have Dajon in there.

Having a ceiling and being able to reach are two very different things.

• Upvote 2

WE'LL NEVER KNOW IF HE DOESN'T PLAY.

That is how players get better. They don't magically become gamer when the guy in front of him graduates. You can see the effect of inexperience all over this team right now because we never had enough rotation or second team unit swaps last year.

I think we have hit or are very near minimac's ceiling, and that is getting 20 points against a defense that averages giving up 36.5, what can DW do? Hell if I know exactly, but I know he'll never reach it sitting.

PASSING Cmp-Att-Int Yds TD Long Sack Williams, Dajon 11-21-2 124 1 31

Don't forget to add two lost fumbles.

I think we are near minimac's ceiling too. I am not convinced the Dajon is the answer, or will ever become the answer. Basically we are arguing about which of the bad bunch of Qbs shoudl be playing, and I don't think there is a right answer.

• Upvote 2

Yes. We get it. He had a horrible game against UAB. Really, really awful. I guess that's enough to get him disbarred for life in some people's eyes? I also know he had what is probably the best game of any QB this season, against a B10 team:

18-34 205 YDS 3TD 2INT

Look, I get the fact that RIGHT THIS SECOND. MiniMac probably gives us a better chance to win 1 or maybe 2 more games. If getting a 4 win season this year is your goal, full stream ahead. I just think that if we give either of these two FIVE MORE STARTS this year, DW has the ability to be a much better QB by the end of the year. We'll probably win 1 or 2 more game with him starting anyway, so it's a wash.

If trying to get the best QB out there next year is your goal, then IMHO, you start Dajon. Then he and Means and hopefully Riddle battle it out next year.

• Upvote 3

Yes. We get it. He had a horrible game against UAB. Really, really awful. I guess that's enough to get him disbarred for life in some people's eyes? I also know he had what is probably the best game of any QB this season, against a B10 team:

18-34 205 YDS 3TD 2INT

Look, I get the fact that RIGHT THIS SECOND. MiniMac probably gives us a better chance to win 1 or maybe 2 more games. If getting a 4 win season this year is your goal, full stream ahead. I just think that if we give either of these two FIVE MORE STARTS this year, DW has the ability to be a much better QB by the end of the year. We'll probably win 1 or 2 more game with him starting anyway, so it's a wash.

If trying to get the best QB out there next year is your goal, then IMHO, you start Dajon. Then he and Means and hopefully Riddle battle it out next year.

DW got worse against worse competition. That's why he was pulled. That and the fact Mac thought he could salvage a win with a bus driver against USM. DW isn't a savior. It's time we all realize that no matter who starts the rest of the year, that person will not be starting next year. That QB isn't on this team (at least he shouldn't be).

So, if you want to keep arguing about QBs on a 3-9 team that won't be starting next year, please continue.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

So Dajon has one multi turnover game in which he throws picks sixes and you are ready to bail?

How is that different from the type of game DT had often in his career?

Why praise the guy who did it as a 5th year senior, yet damn the guy who does it as a 19 yr old RS freshman?

• Upvote 5

So Dajon has one multi turnover game in which he throws picks sixes and you are ready to bail?

Why praise the guy who did it as a 5th year senior, yet damn the guy who does it as a 19 yr old RS freshman?

Because he can't pat himself on the back if Dajon turns out to be great. Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I don't see how people can cast off a RS freshman w/ 3 starts because he threw some picks. There is a transition time to be expected when breaking in a young QB.

Ask So.Miss., they stuck w/ their QB last season while he struggled, and look how much better he is this year.

ALSO notice, he is still making a few mistakes. It isn't a 1-2 game process. It takes some time

• Upvote 7

Work ethic.

Attitude.

Leadership.

Just to name three. DW was given the job when he shouldn't have been because he was woefully lacking in the above three categories. If you don't work to improve at this level, it doesn't matter if you are a 5 star recruit, you are headed for failure. DW was a borderline 3 star recruit, which means he has to work that much harder. He didn't. If you want to believe that he magically started working harder when the job was given to him because of others failures, well, I guess you also believe in Santa Claus and Goldie Locks.

I doubt we ever see DW take the field again for UNT as a starter. I wouldn't be surprised to see him transfer at years end to an FCS program. Work habits are VERY hard to change. It doesn't magically happen because you become a starter.

And it's a shame, because with a ton of hard work, he could be a really good G5 FBS QB.

Also, since you seem to always want to make the argument about DT, go find me one game in DT's career where he turned the ball over on three occasions where all 3 turnovers were returned for TDs.

Otherwise, just STFU about a really stupid comparison.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 12

Work ethic.

Attitude.

Leadership.

Just to name three. DW was given the job when he shouldn't have been because he was woefully lacking in the above three categories. If you don't work to improve at this level, it doesn't matter if you are a 5 star recruit, you are headed for failure. DW was a borderline 3 star recruit, which means he has to work that much harder. He didn't. n.

SOLVED.

I would take DT any day. Give me the guy that shuts his mouth for his team. Give me the one who strives to be better no matter what people are saying about him. Give me the one that doesn't give up on his team because he had a bad game. Give me The one that keeps his head up and inspires others around him to be better.

If you give in (JUST ONCE) to the types of players that do not honor the "code" and discipline in which the team operates under- you are headed to fail. This code was the reason why we were great last year along with the 22 seniors that respected it and set the example. Because let's face it- last year could've gone another direction. It's also why a team that never was taught how to win could all of a sudden come back from losses and 1st half disasters. The moment we allow someone to be bigger than the team- the infrastructure collapses.

We need more of these 3 things more than we need anything else. ( except maybe some size on Dline)

If you guys think that recruits can't immediately smell something wrong in a locker room- you should immediately stop talking about recruiting.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Work ethic.

Attitude.

Leadership.

Just to name three. DW was given the job when he shouldn't have been because he was woefully lacking in the above three categories. If you don't work to improve at this level, it doesn't matter if you are a 5 star recruit, you are headed for failure. DW was a borderline 3 star recruit, which means he has to work that much harder. He didn't. If you want to believe that he magically started working harder when the job was given to him because of others failures, well, I guess you also believe in Santa Claus and Goldie Locks.

I doubt we ever see DW take the field again for UNT as a starter. I wouldn't be surprised to see him transfer at years end to an FCS program. Work habits are VERY hard to change. It doesn't magically happen because you become a starter.

And it's a shame, because with a ton of hard work, he could be a really good G5 FBS QB.

Also, since you seem to always want to make the argument about DT, go find me one game in DT's career where he turned the ball over on three occasions where all 3 turnovers were returned for TDs.

Otherwise, just STFU about a really stupid comparison.

c

Amen! It's obvious that if all of the Qb's are committing to the work each week, DW should take the lead. If one of them doesn't do what it takes and still starts, the whole concept of team leadership goes out the window. I hope DW really commits. We need him.

My bigger worry is the defense. I was down close last night. Looking at the players line up, looked like a small high school team vs a real college line. That was before the ball was snapped. What concerns me is that we are getting worse. Would we still beat SMU? Probably, but it would be closer. All that said , it was enjoyable to just watch a close game at home.

I agree with 90 and ssp on this one. My hope is that DW develops all of the leadership skills for a successful professional and personal life. We do need him to start this now if we are going to be a good football team. But put the shout out for a qb who has the talent and teamwork skills desired to build your program to your standards. Never compromise your values and standards. Coach was hired to build a program. I like how he sculpts boys into men.

Beat Rice

GMG

• Upvote 1

Dear Cerebus,

There are other quarterbacks on the planet not named Dajon Williams or Andrew McNulty. Some may even come to UNT in the near future. Some may already be on the roster. The world does not stop spinning if Dajon or Andrew are sitting on the bench in 2015 watching a real quarterback do what they couldn't in 2014.

Again, this isn't the University of Dajon Williams and Andrew McNulty.

Love,

TFLF

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1