If McNulty continues to start our season is done...

Andrew

At this point it I rather watch Dajon lose a game than McNulty. At least the game would be interesting. This was a bad USM team. Dajon could have done just as well if not better than McNulty if given the opportunity. If Mac starts McNulty next game he is not only giving up on this season, but our foreseeable future. McNulty is not the answer so let Dajon play and get use to the flow of the game. Otherwise next season we will have McNulty as a senior (and still a terrible quarterback. And Dajon and Greer might just transfer.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 5

I'm more worried about our defense right now. That was the strength of the team in Mac's three previous seasons and now it's a sieve.

Oh our defense is horrible do not get wrong. McNulty will just turn it over and keep them on the field longer. I am not saying Dajon will not turn it over, but I believe that he would turn it over less. McNulty played a safe game and hit easy routes. Even so he still over threw the ball,left his receivers high and dry at times, and could have easily had 3 interceptions if USM was any good.

Our special teams needs work as well. The turning point the past two games has come on special the teams. The onside kick against Indiana did us in and this game the fake punt and run game USM all the momentum.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

It doesn't matter who starts at quarterback. None of them can raise the level of play for this team. Defense can't get off the field and our receivers, outside of Harris, can't catch.

All true which is why we should start Dajon. McNulty is not the future. Dajon is. Unless you want to play means but it would be foolish to remove his red shirt at this point. This should be Dajons team regardless if any twitter comment he has made. Then in the spring we have means and Dajon compete for the job.

Speaking of that tweet.... I wonder who Mac was referring to when he said do not bad mouth this team or program. He included the fact that it was online and followed it by saying he would happily kick them off the team. Clearly this was targeted at someone. Does anyone have a clue who this could be?

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

At this point it I rather watch Dajon lose a game than McNulty. At least the game would be interesting. This was a bad USM team. Dajon could have done just as well if not better than McNulty if given the opportunity. If Mac starts McNulty next game he is not only giving up on this season, but our foreseeable future. McNulty is not the answer so let Dajon play and get use to the flow of the game. Otherwise next season we will have McNulty as a senior (and still a terrible quarterback. And Dajon and Greer might just transfer.

Agree. I am concerned about our QB situation next year.

We will not win games with this offense and 20 points per game, particularly since we have a defense that gives up so many yards/points.

• Upvote 1

Nah, it may not have been as good as last year, but it was a pretty solid unit most of the time. Mac's first year they were pretty dominating at home.

Last year seemed like the first year we actually knew how to hit hard and wrap up players and take them to the ground.

• Upvote 1

Mac's first year we gave up an average of 24.17 points a game at Apogee which is pretty average I'd assume. Remove the 48 Houston laid on us in the opener and it was 19.4 a game...which should win you most of the time.

So, yeah I would say our defense was pretty solid at home. On the road was a different story (37.17 ppg) ...but then our offense was way different home to road back then too.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

The title of this thread and the O.P. say two different things. Which of our QBs between McNulty and Williams Coach Mac chooses to start doesn't really make much--probably not any--difference as to what happens the rest of the year.

I've not been a huge McNulty fan, but I think he performed adequately enough this game not to be shredded for it. There are plenty of targets for ire, and I just don't see how McNulty makes the list.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 5

If the quarterbacks who turn the ball over and can only beat beat SMU and Nicholls State transfer, few tears will be shed.

You would hope they would be man enough to go ahead and learn the playbook and compete for the job in spring, but...if they want to transfer somewhere else where they won't know/learn the playbook, but will "excitingly" turn the ball over with regularity, so be it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's painful to watch this year. ThIs is how the year will be with McNulty at QB. No wonder the coaching staff couldn't decide who to play against UT. It's just a matter of who's crap stinks worse. Either way, I think it's safe to say just go ahead and cover your nose.

seriously I don't get the minimac haters. He made no big mistake in this game. He was supposed to drive the bus and did that well. Yall are the kinds of guys who would have screamed to take AJ macCarron out at alabama. The offense was not great but there was at least a semblance of rythm. I am not saying don't put DW in for some packages, I am agreeing that coach Mac takes sometimes a little too few risks, but the unconditional love for DW seems weird to me. Minimac gave the defense a fair shot to excel, it is not his mistake the D can neither stop the run nor the punt, nor that Special teams fall for a (decently probable) fake when they do.

• Upvote 2

seriously I don't get the minimac haters. He made no big mistake in this game. He was supposed to drive the bus and did that well. Yall are the kinds of guys who would have screamed to take AJ macCarron out at alabama. The offense was not great but there was at least a semblance of rythm. I am not saying don't put DW in for some packages, I am agreeing that coach Mac takes sometimes a little too few risks, but the unconditional love for DW seems weird to me. Minimac gave the defense a fair shot to excel, it is not his mistake the D can neither stop the run nor the punt, nor that Special teams fall for a (decently probable) fake when they do.

I can't speak for everyone but the problem with Minimac is that this is the best we can expect: 20 points on a bad USM team. He's only started when there's been no one else. He's better than Greer who set the bar amazingly low. He doesn't turn the ball over like DW. However, we won't be winning many games with him. DW has all the talent so since this season is shot the question is do we throw DW out there, let him take his lumps, and see if he can grow with playing time. He represents a hope for our future, not minimac.

Now maybe DW is so bad that leaving minimac in is the only option. If so then currently we have no Div 1 starting quarterbacks on our roster. Our hopes lie in DW growing up really, really fast in the off season, Means being the answer, or someone not yet on the team can come in and take the starting job.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I agree QB play was not the problem . It seems that since the kid is from Iowa some posters have been on him since he arrived in Denton . Most of the comments made against him have been without a legitimate basis.

Dajon could have done exactly what McNulty did. Go look at Mcnulty's career numbers and tell me he is not terrible. He is not the future so why bother starting him. It will only set our program back further. Just because he did not turn over the ball does not mean he had a good game. He played it safe against a terrible USM game. Dajon would have done equally as average at last. Instead Mac will use this to justify McNulty as the starter for the season. In doing so our season and future is down the drain.

Edited by Andrew
  • Downvote 3

McNulty may not exactly be a dynamic QB, but he performed just fine last night. He was not the problem. What worries me the most is that the defensive line is visibly regressing from week to week. I fear that the coaches have lost this team.

Edited by Greendylan
  • Upvote 3