Mac has no idea what he's doing!

EagleGreen

One the dumbest threads ever. How can you make the broad sweeping comment that Mac knows nothing. Why don't we see how the

season plays out then we can evaluate the team/coaching? I believe Mac does know what he is doing and good things take time.

Tom Landry won 5 or fewer games his first 5 seasons.

" When tend to forget that all good things take time."- John Wooden

Do I think Mac is the next Tom Landry? No. Do I believe this board over-reacts? Yes.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

One the dumbest threads ever. How can you make the broad sweeping comment that Mac knows nothing. Why don't we see how the

season plays out then we can evaluate the team/coaching? I believe Mac does know what he is doing and good things take time.

Tom Landry won 5 or fewer games his first 5 seasons.

" When tend to forget that all good things take time."- John Wooden

Do I think Mac is the next Tom Landry? No. Do I believe this board over-reacts? Yes.

Mac has a lifetime losing record, how many seasons should we give him?
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The QB debacle is really disappointing. I just can't fathom what Mac's expectations were heading into this year for that position. It makes you wonder what he was thinking in regards to the other positions on this team. Did make misjudge what he had/has?

• Upvote 1

Wow.

Let me get this straight: Are you guys advocating that McCarney be fired?

We can't fire Mac even if we wanted to. I just wish we had an AD who could go an lay down the lay and make sure he is using the proper and most effective motivation techniques to maximize the talent we have on this team.

What I think I see right now is that we live in a world of instant gratification. We day trade for hyper short-term profits. We spend with credit for possessions today. We demand that a coach come into this broken system and propel it to playoff caliber immediately.

The commissions and margin calls kill our day trading. The usurious interest makes minimum payments unsustainable and we get repossessed. The coach hits a wall, be it funding, or recruiting perception, or Denia, or the city council, or the Longhorn stacked legislature, or the misalignment of the stars at night that shine so bright, and the fans throw up their hands and quit...again. The coach sees it, and he quits too.

Then we sign up for another brokerage account, get a new Amex, and hire a new coach, because it's going to be better this time...immediately.

Through it all, I've found myself with a boring, stable job, an 800 credit rating, and a definite numbness to the product on the field. I couldn't muster myself to be excited or upset or angry or even remotely concerned about anything other than the length of the kettle corn line on Saturday night. The overall experience Saturday was fantastic, but was there a game? I seem to have lost track of that portion.

Fire Mac? Keep Mac? Extend him? Bow at his feet and deliver unto him a truckload of Grey Goose? Run him out of town on a rail tarred and covered in Morrison Corn Kits? I don't have that answer, nor will I attempt to posit one.

But slowly, one person at a time, I keep bringing people to games. And they keep asking to come back. And I'm finding my back against the wall with the guest club pass purchasing limit thing, which I never expected would happen. I'm getting phone calls, "Hey, my father-in-law is coming up for Thanksgiving. He would LOVE this thing. Can you get him in for the FIU game?"

There is great room for improvement, but there have also been great steps taken. We are not the high school team in the middle school stadium with the Keystone Cops gesticulating foolishly on the sideline anymore. We are a lower tier FBS team with a legitimate G5 stadium surrounded by lush grassy tailgating (the couchboys did make one of my guests point a finger and laugh on Saturday), led by a coaching staff that has actual college experience, but is making some questionable decisions.

I'm not ready to rend my teeth or gnash my garments just yet in spite of the fact that I no longer expect another win this season. On that front, I'll ride out my investments, pay my credit card bills in full each month, and watch the slow upward trend line of this program on the chart, ignoring the short-term dip its taking today.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

What I think I see right now is that we live in a world of instant gratification. We day trade for hyper short-term profits. We spend with credit for possessions today. We demand that a coach come into this broken system and propel it to playoff caliber immediately.

The commissions and margin calls kill our day trading. The usurious interest makes minimum payments unsustainable and we get repossessed. The coach hits a wall, be it funding, or recruiting perception, or Denia, or the city council, or the Longhorn stacked legislature, or the misalignment of the stars at night that shine so bright, and the fans throw up their hands and quit...again. The coach sees it, and he quits too.

Then we sign up for another brokerage account, get a new Amex, and hire a new coach, because it's going to be better this time...immediately.

Through it all, I've found myself with a boring, stable job, an 800 credit rating, and a definite numbness to the product on the field. I couldn't muster myself to be excited or upset or angry or even remotely concerned about anything other than the length of the kettle corn line on Saturday night. The overall experience Saturday was fantastic, but was there a game? I seem to have lost track of that portion.

Fire Mac? Keep Mac? Extend him? Bow at his feet and deliver unto him a truckload of Grey Goose? Run him out of town on a rail tarred and covered in Morrison Corn Kits? I don't have that answer, nor will I attempt to posit one.

But slowly, one person at a time, I keep bringing people to games. And they keep asking to come back. And I'm finding my back against the wall with the guest club pass purchasing limit thing, which I never expected would happen. I'm getting phone calls, "Hey, my father-in-law is coming up for Thanksgiving. He would LOVE this thing. Can you get him in for the FIU game?"

There is great room for improvement, but there have also been great steps taken. We are not the high school team in the middle school stadium with the Keystone Cops gesticulating foolishly on the sideline anymore. We are a lower tier FBS team with a legitimate G5 stadium surrounded by lush grassy tailgating (the couchboys did make one of my guests point a finger and laugh on Saturday), led by a coaching staff that has actual college experience, but is making some questionable decisions.

I'm not ready to rend my teeth or gnash my garments just yet in spite of the fact that I no longer expect another win this season. On that front, I'll ride out my investments, pay my credit card bills in full each month, and watch the slow upward trend line of this program on the chart, ignoring the short-term dip its taking today.

So, you're saying we shouldn't fire Mac after 1 bad season? I don't think you understand how this works. You have to be outraged and claim that not firing the coach after a loss is lowering the expectations at North Texas.

• Upvote 2

I'm not for firing Mac, AT ALL, however, I am pretty sure this "let's not rock the boat and everything will get slowly better" attitude is 1) exactly what many fans have thought around here for decades, and 2) exactly the opposite of what schools like TCU did to actually advance.

They had solid leadership from the top and it showed.

• Upvote 2

Well, when your two stops are Iowa State and North Texas and you've produced five bowl teams I'd say at least a few more years.

Mac is a very good coach. North Texas simply is not to the point yet where the football program reloads instead of rebuilding. He's getting us there but is possibly taking longer than even he expected.

I believe this season is over as far as being a bowl season. It's time to build for the future, especially concerning finding if either of our physically gifted young quarterbacks has the ability to lead this team. Both Greer and Williams seem to have ability but neither has played anywhere close to his potential.

• Upvote 1

This thread is a little bit knee jerk to me. Any team with no QB struggles. And maybe we just aren't that good this year....... but i don't think regime change is necessary at this point. Goodness. There are still 5 games left. Right the ship, win them all, go to a bowl. Not sure that will happen but I don't think we fire the skipper quite yet.

ppreflex.gif

• Upvote 3

Mac inherited Canales. Not sure if he was forced on Mac by RV or not since I am new to unt football. DT and the rest of these QBs are on Chico. He is the constant in all of this.

If we dont have a solid starter going into next season, he will most likely be the scapegoat, and he should be.

We went 9-4 last year and chico finally got a good season out of DT. Can you imagine the season we could have had if Chico actually did a good job in developing qbs? How do we know DT couldnt have been better? At some point the talent has to be coached up instead of looking for the next Phillip rivers.

• Upvote 1

The only thing that's missing are the ridiculous corsages.

I just learned about mums a little over a week ago. Prior to that horrendous moment, my life had been one of blissful ignorance of such things. I made the grave mistake of mentioning that I had learned of mums at work. The iPhones started coming out with pictures of high school (HIGH SCHOOL!) mums that people still had proudly hanging on their walls however many decades later.

I suppose it's true that Texans do everything BIG, mums and message board drama included.

• Upvote 1

We went 9-4 last year and chico finally got a good season out of DT. Can you imagine the season we could have had if Chico actually did a good job in developing qbs?

Maybe we could have challenged for a spot in the conference championship and made a bowl game.

• Upvote 2

GMG is the only game in town when it comes to UNT football, but good god almighty this place has all the drama of high school prom every damned weekend of this season. The only thing that's missing are the ridiculous corsages.

Greatness, Two thumbs Up.

Yeah, we haven't lived up to expectations but by no means does Mac need to get fired. The Defense hasnt been great but they are young and will only get better with each game. The OC should be the biggest of our worries. Some of the calls he makes just make you scratch your head. I havent been too terribly impressed with the offensive line that was supposed to be so great.

But as Will Smith Says "We ride together, We die Together"

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1

I don't think Mac needs to go - at least, not before Canales. Canales' just not that great and I think his interim head coaching time is blinkering some. We need all-new OCs and DCs for next year.

What I would really like to see from Mac (but don't think we will given his nature and old-school attitude) is a little more originality and aggressiveness. How many times this season have our opponents run a fake, or caught us with a surprising and aggressive move? e.g. Southern Miss' fake punt, Indiana's going for it on fourth down consistently, and their onside kick.

What does Mac do to wrest the initiative, momentum, and advantage for us? Time and again we see our opponents grab the initiative and never let go. It's frustrating.

Edited by gradumacated

I don't think anyone is asking for Macs firing. I think people are seriously questioning his recruiting and his extension, at least I am. It's also not 1 bad season, its 3 of his 4 seasons that have been bad with little promise for the 2015 season (and having little hope for 2015 half way through 2014 is the biggest concern to me). It's shaping up to easily be 4 bad years out of 5 bc lack of recruiting and no sign of development. But, GMG.

Why would you want a sh!tbag as coach? It was sh!tbag, right?

Yes, that's correct. I gave a half hearted apology for that earlier. I should have stated what I said differently, but I still hold to what I said. I think Mac needs to give the full reigns to a new OC and DC and sit back and manage this team as a HC is suppose to do. I am not going to say this again, I believe in McCarney. I just don't believe in the staff he has surrounded himself with or our recruiting.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So, you're saying we shouldn't fire Mac after 1 bad season? I don't think you understand how this works. You have to be outraged and claim that not firing the coach after a loss is lowering the expectations at North Texas.

1 bad season? He is about to have 3 losing seasons out of 4 and an overall losing record lifetime.