Our Defense Sucks

MeanGreenDan

It all starts up front folks.

There were times tonight that homeboy had > seconds to throw (when he wasn't intentionally grounding it). That is an eternity, & leaves our average secondary vulnerable. Then, on rush plays, there's no guy up front that demands a double-team, so at least 1 OL can get up on one of our average LBs (DT90 spelled this out earlier this week, I watched for it tonight & I'll be durned...)

This (the undersized DL) was what we were all worried about this fall when the 2-deep was announced. It is manifesting in different ways that are making the entire defense look bad.

You can't get beat on the deep ball if the QB doesn't have time to get it out...

• Upvote 2

It all starts up front folks.

There were times tonight that homeboy had > seconds to throw (when he wasn't intentionally grounding it). That is an eternity, & leaves our average secondary vulnerable. Then, on rush plays, there's no guy up front that demands a double-team, so at least 1 OL can get up on one of our average LBs (DT90 spelled this out earlier this week, I watched for it tonight & I'll be durned...)

This (the undersized DL) was what we were all worried about this fall when the 2-deep was announced. It is manifesting in different ways that are making the entire defense look bad.

You can't get beat on the deep ball if the QB doesn't have time to get it out...

i am truly starting to see this now. the d-line has exposed the rest of this inexperienced defense to a beating. the lbs and dbs were already going to be in trouble from a size or speed standpoint, but having offenses be able to almost entirely negate the 4 dudes up front is not helping them, it lets the get exposed even further. there are very few db/lb groups in the country that could do what we are asking ours to based on the lack of pressure or a stabilized line of scrimmage. the LOS is routinely 4 yards into our territory every running play so of course 6,7,8 yards a carry will be given up. on passing plays, it looks like a country club back there for the qb and almost no db anywhere will lock anyone down for 5 seconds... especially down field. there are just too many ways to get beat. hell, you could stick richard sherman out there and he'd probably give up a few plays too. i can only imagine the lack of trust floating around in that locker room right now. and if i know MAC like i think i do, the blame is placed equally instead of fairly, which is debilitating to those who can't help it, and comforting to those who aught not to be comfortable. these guys know football so i am sure they know this stuff but it is also a head game. head games are tough for psychologists to even pull off so forgive me if i dont trust a but of football coaches to affect these kids mindsets skillfully of effectively.

• Upvote 1

#94 for USM, Dylan Bradley, a 6'1" 265lb sophomore who played in 11 games last year as a true freshman. He put MacNulty out in the fourth then followed that up with the sack of Dajon on the very next play. Guy has a great motor. He was a 3 star recruit out of Macon, Mississippi. Mississippi, a small state with limited talent in the heart of the SEC that is recruited by all the bigs and the littles. Yet he was somehow convinced to play for the one in-state team that didnt win a single game in 2012. How can that be? How is that possible? Could it be USM is paying players? Or just putting fourth outstanding recruiting effort?

Rick

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

#94 for USM, Dylan Bradley, a 6'1" 265lb sophomore who played in 11 games last year as a true freshman. He put MacNulty out in the fourth then followed that up with the sack of Dajon on the very next play. Guy has a great motor. He was a 3 star recruit out of Macon, Mississippi. Mississippi, a small state with limited talent in the heart of the SEC that is recruited by all the bigs and the littles. Yet he was somehow convinced to play for the one in-state team that didnt win a single game in 2012. How can that be? How is that possible? Could it be USM is paying players? Or just putting fourth outstanding recruiting effort?

Rick

Bradley also had scholarship offers from Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Memphis, Alcorn State and Arkansas State.

Rick

The state of Mississippi has more players on NFL rosters per capita than all states but Louisiana and South Carolina. They had 32 NFL players on rosters in 2013. Calling that state limited in talent isn't true. USM gets huge advantage in that state by not having any other G5 program to recruit against. Basically, if you are in that state and aren't recruited heavily by the SEC powers around you, USM is almost always going to be the next choice. In Texas, right now, there are 7 G5 schools. If you aren't picked off by a P5 school, then you are going to choose between UH, Rice, UTSA, Texas State, UTEP, SMU, and us if you are staying in state.

• Upvote 4

The state of Mississippi has more players on NFL rosters per capita than all states but Louisiana and South Carolina. They had 32 NFL players on rosters in 2013. Calling that state limited in talent isn't true. USM gets huge advantage in that state by not having any other G5 program to recruit against. Basically, if you are in that state and aren't recruited heavily by the SEC powers around you, USM is almost always going to be the next choice. In Texas, right now, there are 7 G5 schools. If you aren't picked off by a P5 school, then you are going to choose between UH, Rice, UTSA, Texas State, UTEP, SMU, and us if you are staying in state.

Yeah, that sounds about right. UT, A&M, Tech, Baylor, TCU, SMU, UNT, UH, Rice, UTSA, TxState and UTEP. That's quite a long list of schools. That doesn't even count FCS schools here, either.

• Upvote 1

I think what makes us have the greatest recruiting base is not necessarily DFW, but DFW + East Texas. Exposure of the recruits and competition in the DFW can make things a little difficult, in that we'll have to win recruiting battles to get most good players.

East Texas, the exposure isn't as good as DFW, and not as many schools (especially out of state) recruit out there. Take the exams I always use, Jeffery Wilson. He had offers from ULM, New Mexico State, and Texas State along with us. If that kid were playing over here for a school like Guyer, Allen, Southlake, Trinity, etc, he would have easily 10+ more offers including Big12 schools. Bigger schools didn't pass on him, as much as they just didn't know who he was and most already had their running back prospects narrowed down before this kid was a blip on any radar. Huge steal.

Even a guy like Tee Goree, who did have a bountiful offer list, if he would've been playing on a school like DeSoto you could've expected many more offers. The lack of exposure out in East Texas, as well as the fact that we're relatively close to most of those kids out there, really plays in our favor. Not to mention a lot of talent out there. Couple that with the giant pool of D1 talent in DFW and we do have the best recruiting base in our division, IMO.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

Being close to DFW (practically in DFW) may be a strength of ours, but it's also a weakness. Big12 schools hover over DFW all year long looking for prospects while other schools elsewhere come out of nowhere to pluck their carefully selected handful.

Wilson was a nice get. Another small time high school get would be Jaquis Dancy out of Junction City, AR. I have seen him first hand and the kid has all the tools at the RB position. If needed he could make the move to slot seamlessly. He's a La Tech commit right now. Another great get flying under the radar and has all the same tools is a kid by the name of Jackie Harvell out of Gurdon, AR. Same frame as Dancy and he too could transition to slot but also possibly safety. He's a 5'11" 190lb junior with 35 tkls 9 picks (3 for scores) 91 carries 832yds 12td 9 rec 117yds 1td. All through 7 games. Funny thing about these guys, they finished 1st and 2nd place at the state track meet in the 100, extremely close finish. Both have legit 4.4 speed. These are 2 guys that would be huge for the overall talent and speed of our team moving forward. GMG

• Downvote 1