UNT QB situation: Back to drawing board

Harry

North Texas is right back where it has spent a whole lot of time since the end of its breakout season of a year ago.

The Mean Green are once again evaluating their options at quarterback, this time in the days leading up to a game against Southern Miss on Saturday at Apogee Stadium.

UNT went through that process in spring practice and fall drills before settling on Josh Greer as its starter. The Mean Green switched to Dajon Williams and found some success before a flurry of key turnovers in a blowout loss to UAB on Saturday has once again put UNT back where it started.

This time around Williams and career backup Andrew McNulty will compete for the starting job at a time UNT is looking to rebound from a 2-4 start. Whoever starts will get the next crack at replacing Heart of Dallas Bowl MVP Derek Thompson and bringing the Mean Green out of a two-game slide to open Conference USA play.

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/sports-headlines/20141013-football-unt-qb-situation-back-to-drawing-board.ece

I don't mean to be rude, but neither Coach Canales or Coach Mac have a damn clue as to what to do with the QB position. Their epic failure to prepare a QB for this year has been the main reason this team has failed. You cant keep flipping between guys. You certainly cant switch offensive philosophy in the middle of the season and hope to be successful.

• Upvote 1

I don't mean to be rude, but neither Coach Canales or Coach Mac have a damn clue as to what to do with the QB position. Their epic failure to prepare a QB for this year has been the main reason this team has failed. You cant keep flipping between guys. You certainly cant switch offensive philosophy in the middle of the season and hope to be successful.

You may be right about McCarney, but I think Chico can coach QBs. His guy (Greer) was not a gamer though. Thus, the quandary we're in now.

A lot of people were clamoring for DaJon (I was one). Glad we got him in. He's making a ton of mistakes though...to be expected from a RSF.

Most agreed that if you put him in, you need to simplify the playbook for him and tailor it to his strengths. Were you not one of those?

• Upvote 1

You may be right about McCarney, but I think Chico can coach QBs. His guy (Greer) was not a gamer though. Thus, the quandary we're in now.

A lot of people were clamoring for DaJon (I was one). Glad we got him in. He's making a ton of mistakes though...to be expected from a RSF.

Most agreed that if you put him in, you need to simplify the playbook for him and tailor it to his strengths. Were you not one of those?

I was indeed one of those that wanted a simpler playbook and reads for him, but I wasn't calling for us to abandoned the power running game like we have. There were plenty who wanted us to go wide open and spread it out, but I wasnt one of them. Sure you add in a few read option plays and the sprint out looks, but you don't try to re-create your whole play book mid season. We've lost our identity on offense.

I thought Dajon would make 1 or 2 mistakes during a game, but not what he did against UAB. RS FR or not no one should be doing that.

I saw Dajon's last two turnovers, and those were completely ugly. He lost his head but I don't think those plays suited him. The second INT was a dumb play call, while the second fumble on the sideline was just bad decision making. I've lost faith in Canales. I don't think he's a solid recruiter, and has difficulty identifying, developing, and using talent to the best of their abilities. I think he got lucky with a solid personality in Thompson but outside of that we've had great luck with RBs but don't have the same caliber back this year. Jimmy could be that guy, but he's too inconsistent right now.

Which is the summation of this years squad: too inconsistent. Our defense occasionally shines, our offense looks great at times, and special teams is solid. But it's not enough to do it for one or two drives; it needs to be kept up all game and right now that's just not happening combined with the usual losing-team syndrome of not getting bounces to go our way.

I'm worried about this team. I feel like they're on the verge of giving up and if USM comes into Apogee and leaps out to a hot start I can see the fans turning on the players if they even stay and the players giving up. There's only so much Mac can do and I bet USM is preparing to kick a man while he's down. Come out and smash us in our mouth and see what we have. And since we don't have any leaders on this team, I don't think we'll respond like we ought to.

Then Mac may pack it all in and leave at the end of the year.

The thing about a Qb like Dajon is that he has so much upside, you have to play him becuase he miles ahead of the other QBs on the roster who have proven they cannot play at this level. Maybe Dajon proves to be the same way, but he is only a freshman. You just have to try and develop him into something positive. The main problem with him, in my opinion, is that he isn't a bus driver type QB, which is what McCarney appears to want for his offense here at UNT. He used a different style at ISU with Seneca Wallace, but that was really about it in his tenure in AmeS.

Dajon could really elevate this program over the next couple of years IF he gets it all together. If not, he might just be the proverbial coach-killer.

Edited by untjim1995

Before i give up on this season.. i want to see dajon in the bus driver position as a qb.. i think we tried to change our offense too much and got away from the things that make this team successful. Granted this mean dajon needs to learn the playbook... but he shouldnt be starting from scratch... you would think since this is his 2nd year in this program that he has some idea of the plays... we have to get back to our power running game abd find away to chew up clock and move the ball so to keep our inexperianced d orested and off the field as much as possible.. ive noticed when we are doing well on offense that the d seems to play better and same thing when we can hold the ball some and give them some rest. This team really isnt as bad as everyone is saying it is... we just gotta play smart discaplined football... NO MORE multiple turnover games

Before i give up on this season.. i want to see dajon in the bus driver position as a qb.. i think we tried to change our offense too much and got away from the things that make this team successful. Granted this mean dajon needs to learn the playbook... but he shouldnt be starting from scratch... you would think since this is his 2nd year in this program that he has some idea of the plays... we have to get back to our power running game abd find away to chew up clock and move the ball so to keep our inexperianced d orested and off the field as much as possible.. ive noticed when we are doing well on offense that the d seems to play better and same thing when we can hold the ball some and give them some rest. This team really isnt as bad as everyone is saying it is... we just gotta play smart discaplined football... NO MORE multiple turnover games