Really?

NTEX91

Amen.

I will be there ready to tailgate and enjoy my excellent seats and a beer inside Apogee this weekend.

No quit in this fan and trust me the supporters far outweigh the destructionist that do a lot of gum bumping on this board.

Come one come all and let's go get a win this weekend.

GMG

P.S. - Still going to Rice, still going to El Paso, still going to San Antonio. GMG

• Upvote 5

After many years of reading this board, last year I decided to join in. It did not take me long to get sick and tired of all the negative posts. Last year from the start, many on here were blasting DT about how he would bring the program down for yet another year and did not deserve a shot at QB for this team as a senior. Guess we all know how that turned out! MVP of the HOD Bowl as I recall. At the end of the year we graduated 22 seniors, many of which were impact players. If some of you thought for one minute that there would not be some let down from a year ago, especially starting an inexperienced QB at best, you are only kidding yourself. Sure we have had a couple of rough games the early part of this year and it hurts. But it hurts the kids and the coaching staff more than one might think. Take a look at Texas, they have had their share of adversity this year as well.

So, as some will have it, you will take out your frustrations on coach Mac, after you take some of his comments from a recent Vito article out of context (you know who you are) and go on to say that the players will now bail on him. These are some of the same folks who have posted on this board that they themselves have already given up on this season. Think the players won't see that? And let's not forget the RV bashing that takes place on this board. These two men and coach Dickey have done more to put this program where it is today than any others in the past 30 years. Remember, many on this board loved to hate Dickey.

Coach Mac is right, it will take time. Look at Baylor, Grant Teaff started building that program in the 70's, and that progarm has set backs for sure. Only recently has the Baylor program become a consistent top 25 program. Think it's bad at North Texas? Take a visit to the Hilltop. We could have worse problems than taking a step back from a 9 and 4 season with a very young team. There is a lot of football left to play this season. Why not help the progarm get to where we all want it to be instead of going out of your way to tear it down with constant negativity. Coach Mac and staff is the best thing that has happened to North Texas Football in a long long time. GMG

Please, dear God, not Grant Teaff references. He was the father of the "both socks not pulled up rule" in the 1990s once they released the old man to the NCAA rules committee.

Just...it's good enough to say, "Don't bitch about Dan" without bringing up Grant Teaff. Yuck. Baylor would still be sucking biscuits out of the proverbial doughnut can if he were in charge of anything more complicated than letting his own dog out to pee in the morning.

• Upvote 2

After many years of reading this board, last year I decided to join in. It did not take me long to get sick and tired of all the negative posts. Last year from the start, many on here were blasting DT about how he would bring the program down for yet another year and did not deserve a shot at QB for this team as a senior. Guess we all know how that turned out! MVP of the HOD Bowl as I recall. At the end of the year we graduated 22 seniors, many of which were impact players. If some of you thought for one minute that there would not be some let down from a year ago, especially starting an inexperienced QB at best, you are only kidding yourself. Sure we have had a couple of rough games the early part of this year and it hurts. But it hurts the kids and the coaching staff more than one might think. Take a look at Texas, they have had their share of adversity this year as well.

So, as some will have it, you will take out your frustrations on coach Mac, after you take some of his comments from a recent Vito article out of context (you know who you are) and go on to say that the players will now bail on him. These are some of the same folks who have posted on this board that they themselves have already given up on this season. Think the players won't see that? And let's not forget the RV bashing that takes place on this board. These two men and coach Dickey have done more to put this program where it is today than any others in the past 30 years. Remember, many on this board loved to hate Dickey.

Coach Mac is right, it will take time. Look at Baylor, Grant Teaff started building that program in the 70's, and that progarm has set backs for sure. Only recently has the Baylor program become a consistent top 25 program. Think it's bad at North Texas? Take a visit to the Hilltop. We could have worse problems than taking a step back from a 9 and 4 season with a very young team. There is a lot of football left to play this season. Why not help the progarm get to where we all want it to be instead of going out of your way to tear it down with constant negativity. Coach Mac and staff is the best thing that has happened to North Texas Football in a long long time. GMG

ok

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am a "old" fan, that has been supporting the Mean Green teams, all the way back to the 1967 season.

Now, there are 4 or 5 "fans" that will constantly rip apart everything good or bad about North Texas via the GMG.

I know true Mean Green fans and very long time Mean Green supporters, that do not read the GMG web site

because of the same people that throw the Mean Green team under the bus!

I like to read postings from the "new" Mean Green fans, specifically like NTEX91!

NTEX91 will be hear after I am long gone.

The new fans like NTEX91 will carry on the Mean Green nations all over the country.

Thank you NTEX91 for your support!

• Upvote 3

The Baylor football team had been 7–43–1 in the five seasons preceding Teaff's arrival.

I was going to say, "Crikey! That's worse than the Dodge years!" But alas, it isn't. It's 1 percentage point better.

But what struck me more about that situation was that after five years of football so bad even we here at UNT can relate to it, the coach who built something and stuck around for a couple decades was only 39 years old. Granted, that was in 1972. Things were different. Leaded gasoline tasted good. Houses cost $5,000. Women were women, and softball players were drunken male factory workers, just as the good lord intended.

Honest question, does the universe of football coaching prohibit that from ever happening again? Getting some young guy in who builds something up and sticks around, successfully for a couple decades? I guess it's such a cutthroat free agent market, that such a thing is unlikely at best, and damn near unthinkable at a G5 school.

I was going to say, "Crikey! That's worse than the Dodge years!" But alas, it isn't. It's 1 percentage point better.

But what struck me more about that situation was that after five years of football so bad even we here at UNT can relate to it, the coach who built something and stuck around for a couple decades was only 39 years old. Granted, that was in 1972. Things were different. Leaded gasoline tasted good. Houses cost $5,000. Women were women, and softball players were drunken male factory workers, just as the good lord intended.

Honest question, does the universe of football coaching prohibit that from ever happening again? Getting some young guy in who builds something up and sticks around, successfully for a couple decades? I guess it's such a cutthroat free agent market, that such a thing is unlikely at best, and damn near unthinkable at a G5 school.

I'm afraid those days are way back in the rear-view mirror. I think schools at the top end of the P5 most years can keep a younger coach around for awhile if he wants to stay--like OU has with Stoops. But even at those schools, very few have been at their school for 10 years or more. Usually, they are the ones hiring the G5 coach to try and turn around their programs...

Thank you NTEX91, I joined this board this year and have been reading GMG.com since October of 2013. I didn't get to catch the beginning, where 2013's season was being said by lots of people on the board as a down season. All I know is, it's okay to be frustrated. But seriously y'all, we have six more games left. People wanting to fire coach Mac and are pointing fingers everywhere. But I refuse to give up. And especially on our coach. Do you really think we could have had the success we did last year with our previous coach? I'm going to the NT game Saturday, to support my favorite college football team in the nation, I'm rallying up every friend I have and know that UNT can salvage somewhat of a respect this season. Even if they lose, keeping it close is respectable. I don't want to call anyone out, but some of the things I read this morning was absolutely ridiculous that was said about our coach and giving up on the team. I know we will see a positive starting Saturday. I'm calling it right now!

• Upvote 1

I'm afraid those days are way back in the rear-view mirror. I think schools at the top end of the P5 most years can keep a younger coach around for awhile if he wants to stay--like OU has with Stoops. But even at those schools, very few have been at their school for 10 years or more. Usually, they are the ones hiring the G5 coach to try and turn around their programs...

It's the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup approach to coaching. You get one that you like, then you eat him up quickly and throw away the wrapper. Then, you are hungry to win (eat) again, so you buy another one (buttercup/coach).

On and on and on this vicious cycle goes until, years later, Type II Diabetes set in and you begin to vote for Democrats because your poor life choices which have destroyed your health and driven your health care costs up are now too high for you to pay for yourself, so you need them to force more responsible people to subsidize the skyrocketing health care costs associated with your sickness and unwillingness to control your appetite and make healthier choices.

Instead, take the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup that you bought first and put it in the freezer, thereby preserving it for longevity. You mention Bob Stoops. Many times when he speaks, he sounds like a junior high school kid, getting his words and phrases mixed up, seemingly unable to grasp the simplest of grammar rules and traditions.

It's because they haven't fully thawed him out yet and his brain is still half frozen with thoughts of past gridiron glory, fifth grade spelling tests, and memorization of the 23rd Psalm all mixed together and trying to come out of the mouth part of his face at once.

They won't let Stoops fully thaw out in Norman because they know a fully thawed Reese's Peanut Butter Cup will be eaten up quickly. Instead, they just thaw him out a little at a time and take a tiny piece of bite out of him every season. He will not soon be used up, then.

More likely, he will be forgotten, pushed behind frozen hunks of ground beef, vegetable bags, and bits of ice that have fallen out of the automatic ice maker so that he can't be gotten to. Then, when they need to buy a new refrigerator/freezer, they will discover him again, frozen solid and no longer edible. Then, they will throw him away...after a long, successful stay: safe in the freezer.

We did the opposite with Dan McCarney. We opened the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, devoured the inviting chocolatey peanut butter treasure inside, licked and sucked the wrapper clean, then began to eat the wrapper like a three year old child or small canine, confused that the chocolatey peanut butter delightfulness is long gone and not coming home again. In our belly.

And, so our moms have to grab up the half-eaten wrappers away from us and say, "No, no, honey...don't eat the paper, sweetie!" And, she makes a yucky face at us. And, then we cry. And, then she buys us another one, thinking that this time, she'll keep a closer eye on us.

This is what we've done to Dan McCarney. We've made him into no more than formerly chocolate and peanut butter-filled, half-eaten piece of Reese's Peanut Butter Cup wrapper.

What is wrong with us! Dear God! What is wrong with us!

• Upvote 7

Jub Jub?

Oh goodie. ANOTHER "I'm a truer fan than you" post...must be about mid-season. Wouldn't this little rant have been more effective in person? You know, like maybe as you walked around Apogee and told all the negative (and long time season ticket holding) fans how very wrong they are and how they, not the thousands of disenfranchised alums, are the problem.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Oh goodie. ANOTHER "I'm a truer fan than you" post...must be about mid-season. Wouldn't this little rant have been more effective in person? You know, like maybe as you walked around Apogee and told all the negative (and long time season ticket holding) fans how very wrong they are and how they, not the thousands of disenfranchised alums, are the problem.

Bravo, but for some lower expectations are acceptable at little old, downtrodden UNT.

• Downvote 1

Funny how some folks seem to jump every time someone mentions constant negativity by the same group of folks. You can just see the reply from each one coming. It is as if they take it personally or something. The stock response after reading them for several years now is the "better fan" one. It's like it just sits around on the shelf waiting for the "oh, someone is talking about us" again moment. The second standard is the "let's just mention RV" thing. Man, even Shakesphere wrote a new line every once in awhile. But, there is something comforting knowing nothing these folks have to say ever changes.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Funny how some folks seem to jump every time someone mentions constant positivity by the same group of folks. You can just see the reply from each one coming. It is as if they take it personally or something. The stock response after reading them for several years now is the "better fan" one. It's like it just sits around on the shelf waiting for the "oh, someone is talking about us" again moment. The second standard is the "let's just mention Johhny Jones" thing. Man, even Shakesphere wrote a new line every once in awhile. But, there is something comforting knowing nothing these folks have to say ever changes.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2