"Save Sack and Save, Tear Down Fouts"

James329

New York Sub Hub and Taco Cabana...that's the real travesty here.

But yeah, with the expansion, UNT is kinda doing Snatch n Shave a favor by buying them out. And it's not like they're barred from the rest of town, either. They could rent or build a new spot anywhere they want. Is there still a big empty bunch of space up Bonnie Brae before you hit University (and Albertson's), or was something built there already? That would still be close enough to serve most of the people disenfranchised by the closure of the current location too.

The better businesses in that area will figure something out, I'm sure. I'm okay without a Sack and Save.

ah the old Sig Ep house. Greatness.

..ok so yeah it was a piece of crap that I lived in for 2 years. But it was an awesome party place.

The point to that being that while alumni seem to demand that all facets of a university be to Grand Hilton standards, students really couldn't care less. They just want cheap.

Since I went to a school that was only 20 years old, and the entire city was new, shiny, manicured, and master planned, I was always really fascinated by going to other schools, visiting run-down establishments around their perimeters, and imagining all the history that took place in them. UNT was no exception to this years before I registered for a class.

But anymore, it's 2 centimeter granite counter tops in the bathrooms and calf leather seating all around or GTFO I guess.

The point to that being that while alumni seem to demand that all facets of a university be to Grand Hilton standards, students really couldn't care less. They just want cheap.

Actually that has changed in the last 10 years or so. Students say they want cheap but amenities have a ton of of influence. Things like the Pohl Rec Center and a sparkling new Union are requirements now. Parents also say they want cheap but they are willing to pay more for those same amenities.

• Upvote 1

Actually that has changed in the last 10 years or so. Students say they want cheap but amenities have a ton of of influence. Things like the Pohl Rec Center and a sparkling new Union are requirements now. Parents also say they want cheap but they are willing to pay more for those same amenities.

It's an interesting turn of events that I believe is somehow in a circular cause/effect of freely available loans, universities going after that money, students, in turn, believing that college should be club med with marble floors, that ends in a bunch of 22-year-olds with a shitton of debt in an economy that wants to pay them eight bucks an hour with no benefits and an ever growing bubble of questionable debt out there secured with the very lives of those who incurred it.

This isn't going to end well.

Incidentally, I couldn't care less if Sac-N-Save goes or stays, but I am very fascinated with the violent vitriol a bunch of old men seem to have toward it.

• Upvote 1

ATTENTION SACK 'N' SAVE CUSTOMERS....

The old Sig Ep house was never a motel. I've lived here all my life and I remember when it was built. It was, at the time, the only frat house built to be a frat house. I've never heard the motel thing but regardless, it's not true.

Beat UAB

GO MEAN GREEN

ATTENTION SACK 'N' SAVE CUSTOMERS....

The old Sig Ep house was never a motel. I've lived here all my life and I remember when it was built. It was, at the time, the only frat house built to be a frat house. I've never heard the motel thing but regardless, it's not true.

Beat UAB

GO MEAN GREEN

Didn't I see in some old yearbooks that fraternities used to house themselves along Hickory in what is now, what, Big Mike's Coffee? I think there are still apartments on the second floor of that building.

The students want amenities, but they're not afraid to lose a few at the cost of not running into piles of debt. It's kind of like a reshuffling on the continuum. Amenities, a pretty campus, etc., make a student feel like the school is investing into them. Going without a super-huge rec center is doable. Going to a school that looks like a rundown neighborhood really isn't.

The parents are in that direction, too. They want to see where the money is going, they want a campus that's safe, nice looking, and isn't going to cost 6-digits to send a kid to. The other important part for parents - they're also the gatekeepers on this sort of thing. They're either paying the bill or co-signing the loan.

• Upvote 1

Big Mike's was the location of Marvin Loveless Studios for decades. There were apartments above Loveless Studios as well as a few converted into small offices. Mr. Loveless was a photographer and did a zillion Denton school photos. During his time there, he bought a good bit of property on Hickory and Fry. There were some frat houses eastward on Hickory including the Geezle House. There was also a house on the corner of Hickory @ Welch for a time.

I love to visit about what used to be around the NT campus. How about Griff's hamburgers where Jack in the Box is now. Or the Burger King where the Art Building is now. I even remember when the fire station on Ave. B was up and running.

Beat UAB

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1

College Inn was a motel or something, and I think the Fry St. Apartments were as well, maybe that's what people were thinking of.

As to amenities/cost, I think a lot of it comes down to, "well, these four schools have pretty much everything you could want, but only one or two are a reasonable cost if you don't get a full ride so that's where you're going."

Unfortunately, some parents also act as gatekeepers with the promise of helping with the cost of education until the week you go to school and then tell you they changed their minds and you're on your own, but those are probably the ones that are either too selfish or just too stupid to budget or plan appropriately. If anyone finds themselves in this situation I'd recommend cutting off your parents ASAP because the relationship doesn't get any better with people like that.

The College Inn was a private apartment building managed by my classmate's dad. The big apartment building on Fry Street was called the UNIVERSITY HOUSE and was built about the same time (1967). I didn't realize it until I called my classmate just now, but his father managed the University house before getting the job at the College Inn.

Beat UAB

GO MEAN GREEN

Edited by greenjoe

New York Sub Hub borders on being a UNT institution. Then again, so did The Tomato, and Sub Hub has a location on University. Students can drive there and they can like it.

I believe Ken's son is running the "original " NY SubwayHub location now, so if the university wants the property, I would expect they'll just find a new location close to campus. I can't see them giving up the UNT market. The University drive location, run by Mike (a franchise, I believe), is targeted at TWU.

BTW, did you know that NY Subway started out in the storefront in the 7/11 building on the corner? I'm not sure when Ken opened there, but It was about 1980-81 that he bought & renovated the old house that it's been in ever since.

• Upvote 1

I don't know what it was, but that's what we called it. It just looked like a trash-heap of an old motel and it's better as a park than it was as a building.

Just as Sack N Save will be better as an access road than the face of the University.

Edited by Eagle1855

Lots of departments use NY Sub for when they have meetings, training, leadership seminars, etc. Plus if you go off-site somewhere it's usually pretty highly in demand by everyone. They must do as much bulk carryout business as they do actual eat-in clientele, maybe even just bulk from the Universities!