El Paso accomodations - Cheap, safe, etc?

JesseMartin

I know there's a lot of ball to be played before November 15th, but you guys know how I love to plan ahead. So I was going to start checking out all of the discount sites (Priceline, Travelocity, etc.) but first wanted to check with those of you familiar with the area. I'll be traveling with little ones, so what area(s) should I avoid? Any recommendations other than what I can figure out online? I figure we can discuss restaurants later but I want to look into hotels now just in case I might save extra by booking in advance.

I know there's a lot of ball to be played before November 15th, but you guys know how I love to plan ahead. So I was going to start checking out all of the discount sites (Priceline, Travelocity, etc.) but first wanted to check with those of you familiar with the area. I'll be traveling with little ones, so what area(s) should I avoid? Any recommendations other than what I can figure out online? I figure we can discuss restaurants later but I want to look into hotels now just in case I might save extra by booking in advance.

I'm from El Paso and recently moved away but can point you in the right direction. If you want to PM me with what your looking at I'd be glad to help. There's a lot of places to avoid in EP. Not just Mexico as other people post. However, there are some good places too. I'm staying at the Holiday Inn on Sunland Park and I-10. It's a nice hotel not far from the stadium. Plenty of places to eat and drink close by that are kid friendly. I'm very very partial to the westside of town. A lot of visiting fans stay at this hotel as well. I've got little guys too and can give you details on places that all y'all will enjoy.
  • Upvote 1

I'm from El Paso and recently moved away but can point you in the right direction. If you want to PM me with what your looking at I'd be glad to help. There's a lot of places to avoid in EP. Not just Mexico as other people post. However, there are some good places too. I'm staying at the Holiday Inn on Sunland Park and I-10. It's a nice hotel not far from the stadium. Plenty of places to eat and drink close by that are kid friendly. I'm very very partial to the westside of town. A lot of visiting fans stay at this hotel as well. I've got little guys too and can give you details on places that all y'all will enjoy.

I was gonna respond that there are a number of reasonably priced, safe, clean hotels nearby Sunland Park that are a quick jaunt to the stadium.

Going to El Paso for the first time, and going by myself. I already have my hotel and greyhound bus booked, but am still looking for places to hangout before or after the game. Thanks for making this thread, I'll definitely be checking in for any advice.

Eat at Chico's, Drink at Twinz, Recreate at Nero's, and gamble at Speaking Rock.

^^^^Do not take any of that advice seriously^^^^

Yeah, I know. Thought it'd save me a little money and be an interesting/fun way to take in the state. Although I'm sure "fun" will be the last word I'll use to describe it once I'm a few hours in.

I am flying back at least.

The driver will announce at the beginning of the ride that he's got zero tolerance for drinking on the bus. He lies.

That hotel in and of itself is nice. I've stayed there, albeit ten years ago, and they didn't have wifi back then.

But it is surrounded by nothing, unless you're into buying bottle of Wild Irish Rose in paper bags.

Downtown ELP has made some strides in the past 5-10 years. There is a new minor league ballpark and some pretty good renovations and restorations going on down there.

Downtown ELP has made some strides in the past 5-10 years. There is a new minor league ballpark and some pretty good renovations and restorations going on down there.

The downtown Double Tree is great and all but downtown EP still sucks. It's not like the Chihuahuas are playing either. There's a few awful bars downtown.

Hey so how many of you haven't booked a hotel but are planning to? If a bunch of us want to use the same one, like maybe the Sunland Park & I-10 Holiday Inn mentioned by UNTexas, there's a good chance to get a group rate. If I could get a tentative head count, I could call ahead and ask about rates. Hell, if they have lots of space open and we book a whole floor, we could probably save a decent chunk of change.

So...who's in if I can get a group rate? Any other thoughts?