McCarney: Mean Green ‘not as talented’

Harry

Bottom line....this is a rebuilding year....as much as some do not like it. Sorry, but unless you are Top 10, every team in the country with few exceptions "rebuilds" not "reloads" when they lose a bunch of talented players.What is good, is that despite the loss of some real stars, we still have a shot at a winning season and a bowl bid. Some teams look at 1-10 and 2-9 seasons after losing as many starters/stars as we did.

I'm sorry...certainly not to distract from the 4+ pages here, the multiple other panic threads and obviously tflf's excellent use of imagery...but were we not in the same exact position this time last season?

Not really. Last year at this point the 3 losses had been by a combined 33 points. Including a top 10 Georgia team.

This year the three losses are by 77 points. That's over two td's a game in difference.

It's the lack of competitiveness in the losses that is the most troubling thing to me.

I wonder if this isn't a ploy by Mac to get the team riled up and a "we'll show him!" backs-to-the-walls attitude.

But Mac is right- is there anyone on the current squad who would get an NFL team practice camp invite, let alone be drafted? We're the second youngest-squad in the nation, so they'll be growing pains, and talent can be developed. But it takes time and unfortunately at a place like UNT the patience is non-existent.

Chancellor, Trice, and Orr all worked out with NFL teams, and Orr stuck. For a program like UNT, that's an amazing achievement, but you're also losing that leadership. Which is another issue- who are the leaders on this team? I'm not convinced by the current team leaders apart from perhaps Y'Barbo. The others seem out of their depth, tbh. One of the hallmarks of last years team was the incredible leadership it had, partly because it was such a senior-laden class.

I'm thinking once/if we strike a better balance in terms of freshman/sophomores/juniors/seniors, we can see more consistency in the team's play.

While we got curb-stomped in our three losses, poor QB play played a major role in two of those games - especially LaTech. I hate playing the "what-if" game, but if Dajon had started that game I doubt LaTech has two redzone possessions right off the bat, and at least has time to regroup and respond to LaTech's offense, rather than sitting out 30seconds then going right back in.

This UAB game will tell us a lot. If it's a 3-7point game, even in a loss, I'll be OK.

The only game we lost that most on this board thought we would win was the La Tech game, where our Qb play was below acceptable for Denton High's JV QB. We have found a better replacement, even if he isn't as good as we want him to be right now. Everyone basically felt that we would lose to UT and IU, and many on here felt like we would actually get beat by SMU (that alone may have turned out to be the worst prediction we have ever seen on gmg.com). Now, we play teams that we are mostly level with in CUSA play. @UAB, USM, @Rice, FAU, @UTEP, FIU, @UTSA. The CBS rankings have USM @ #114, UTSA @ #109, UTEP @ #103, Rice @ #102, FAU @ #101, UAB @ #96, and FIU @ 93--we are ranked at #99. If we cannot beat 4 out of the 7 teams on this list, which also has SMU @ 125 out of 128 schools, then we have the right to gripe about the direction of the program. Otherwise, I suspect that we will end up 6-6 at the end of the year, with wins over USM, FAU, and FIU, as well at least one win on the road against UAB, RIce, UTEP, and UTSA.

The best news I can offer to you all is this: In the G5, we are ranked ahead of 26 of the teams with the second youngest team in the nation, while 33 are ahead of us in a rebuilding year. With a decent 4-3 or better finish, which I expect, we will probably be higher on the G5 list at the end of the year. That is why I trust Coach Mac to continue the momentum with this program. Don't get caught up in the Criminal 5 rankings--all of them SHOULD be higher than all but 1 or 2 G5 teams ALWAYS. P5 teams like Vandy and ISU that are ranked below us on the overall rankings should just be ashamed of not using their resources very well or allowing themselves to just be a paid whore for their Criminal 5 conference.

The best news I can offer to you all is this: In the G5, we are ranked ahead of 26 of the teams with the second youngest team in the nation,

This is the 2nd time I've read this in this thread. I don't think we are anywhere near the 2nd youngest team in the nation. We did have the 2nd fewest returning starters in the nation, but that is different math.

I wonder if this isn't a ploy by Mac to get the team riled up and a "we'll show him!" backs-to-the-walls attitude.

But Mac is right- is there anyone on the current squad who would get an NFL team practice camp invite, let alone be drafted? We're the second youngest-squad in the nation, so they'll be growing pains, and talent can be developed. But it takes time and unfortunately at a place like UNT the patience is non-existent.

Chancellor, Trice, and Orr all worked out with NFL teams, and Orr stuck. For a program like UNT, that's an amazing achievement, but you're also losing that leadership. Which is another issue- who are the leaders on this team? I'm not convinced by the current team leaders apart from perhaps Y'Barbo. The others seem out of their depth, tbh. One of the hallmarks of last years team was the incredible leadership it had, partly because it was such a senior-laden class.

I'm thinking once/if we strike a better balance in terms of freshman/sophomores/juniors/seniors, we can see more consistency in the team's play.

While we got curb-stomped in our three losses, poor QB play played a major role in two of those games - especially LaTech. I hate playing the "what-if" game, but if Dajon had started that game I doubt LaTech has two redzone possessions right off the bat, and at least has time to regroup and respond to LaTech's offense, rather than sitting out 30seconds then going right back in.

This UAB game will tell us a lot. If it's a 3-7point game, even in a loss, I'll be OK.

Wait, wait...You'll be OK losing to freaking the University of Alabama at BIRMINGHAM?? We lose this game then Mac is right..it is the beginning...the beginning of the end.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is year 4 of the McCarney era. This is his team. Wasn't year 4 supposed to be the year this program really took off? Granted last year certainly surpassed a lot of expectations. However, if this this team struggles along to a 5-7 finish, shouldn't that raise some cause for concern, particularly in regards to recruiting? His inability to develop a quarterback (though Dajon Williams might fix that) after the likes of McNulty, Greer, and Berglund (remember when there was all the hype surrounding his arrival) is concerning.

• Upvote 1

This is year 4 of the McCarney era. This is his team. Wasn't year 4 supposed to be the year this program really took off? Granted last year certainly surpassed a lot of expectations. However, if this this team struggles along to a 5-7 finish, shouldn't that raise some cause for concern, particularly in regards to recruiting? His inability to develop a quarterback (though Dajon Williams might fix that) after the likes of McNulty, Greer, and Berglund (remember when there was all the hype surrounding his arrival) is concerning.

To me, the recruiting issues are on the university as much as they are on him. He is fighting 11 other FBS teams in this state alone, of which only Texas State is below us conference wise. But none of them have as much to overcome with Texas HS coaches and parents as we do--we have not given any of them any reason to take us serious for decades. I think Coach Mac has finally started to get some things going in recruiting for the strength of his coaching, offensive linemen, but no QB in the state that is used to throwing the ball around in HS is going to jump and down to come play in this throwback offense. Best type of QB we can hope for is like Dajon--a hybrid, dual QB that has the ability to make the defense aware of both his running and passing.

I go back to McCarney's days at Iowa State--he took 5 years to build a winner there, but really hit his stride in about year 6 and year 7 of his tenure in Ames. My guess is that we will see a nice rebound next year, assuming that Dajon can play QB at this level and actually stays in good shape. To me, that make sense when you are trying to develop a new QB and your defensive front seven isn't very experienced or strong yet. But they will get there--McCarney has proven that wherever he has coached.

• Upvote 2

To me, the recruiting issues are on the university as much as they are on him. He is fighting 11 other FBS teams in this state alone, of which only Texas State is below us conference wise. But none of them have as much to overcome with Texas HS coaches and parents as we do--we have not given any of them any reason to take us serious for decades. I think Coach Mac has finally started to get some things going in recruiting for the strength of his coaching, offensive linemen, but no QB in the state that is used to throwing the ball around in HS is going to jump and down to come play in this throwback offense. Best type of QB we can hope for is like Dajon--a hybrid, dual QB that has the ability to make the defense aware of both his running and passing.

I go back to McCarney's days at Iowa State--he took 5 years to build a winner there, but really hit his stride in about year 6 and year 7 of his tenure in Ames. My guess is that we will see a nice rebound next year, assuming that Dajon can play QB at this level and actually stays in good shape. To me, that make sense when you are trying to develop a new QB and your defensive front seven isn't very experienced or strong yet. But they will get there--McCarney has proven that wherever he has coached.

Good points, IMO.

This is year 4 of the McCarney era. This is his team. Wasn't year 4 supposed to be the year this program really took off?

No, year 4 was not supposed to be the year the program took off. Two years ago there were a lot of threads right here worrying about the need to be improved in 2013 because we would graduate so many experienced players after last season. The current team is young and growing, but they will make mistakes due to lack of experience.

• Upvote 1

Isn't it concerning that Rice is 2-3 after winning the title last year? What is Bailiff doing down there? That's his team.

Why is UTSA 1-4? How much time does Larry Coker need? This is year 4 of the Coker era. It's his team now.

So lets see Coker started the team from scratch and yes it is his players, that they are doing as well as they are is pretty amazing, plus the jealousy of many UNT fans says volumes at his job.

Rice had ND and A&M to open, easily much tougher than uT, IN, SMU, La Tech. They have wins over USM and Hawaii. UNT only beat a horrible Nicholls State team and bottome feeder SMU.

Apples to oranges but whatever makes you feel better about the state of the UNT program.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

rice would have lost to texas and indiana as well...doesn't 'matter if it was tougher...they would still be 2-3 with the schedule of north texas.

north texas would have lost to notre dame and atm...north texas would still be 2-3 with their schedule

What does what UTSA and Rice have to do with the program NT is trying to build? There is time to turn this season around but it needs to begin with UAB.

This is Mac's fourth year and entirely his team. This is not a particularly young team, it is an inexperienced team in terms of playing time.

I don't know how anyone can discount this year has a rebuilding year, when it is the year that the Mac program should be breaking out. People who really watched last year's team should know that it was a senior unit and despite all the ballyhoo to the opposite, there was not that many underclassmen playing big parts. Just because Mac rotated the defensive line, doesn't mean he did anything else. Linebackers and defensive backs had some rotation, but definitely not more than normal. The offensive line, and QB were not rotated at all unless injuries or late late in blow out ballgames.

Some have chosen to believe that talent wasn't a factor in more of McCarney's recruits not playing, but it obviously was. Those defending Mac's recruiting because it is very difficult to recruit to NT. BS, on that; I don't expect NT to compete at all with P5 programs.

However, if NT can't compete with the rest of CUSA and the other G5 conferences than I think we have a coaching issue. Rice, SMU, UTEP, UTSA, and the whole Belt are not exactly recruiting powerhouses.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Taylor McHargue, Eric Soza, Derek Thompson. All QB's. All seniors. All graduated.

4 Sophs starting on your DL/LB corps. Production of WR's is unacceptable. Much of that has to do with the mess at QB that was CORRECTLY sorted out during the first 3 games, IMO.

Let's see what happens in the next few weeks.

So lets see Coker started the team from scratch and yes it is his players, that they are doing as well as they are is pretty amazing, plus the jealousy of many UNT fans says volumes at his job.

Rice had ND and A&M to open, easily much tougher than uT, IN, SMU, La Tech. They have wins over USM and Hawaii. UNT only beat a horrible Nicholls State team and bottome feeder SMU.

Apples to oranges but whatever makes you feel better about the state of the UNT program.

Coker is 1-4. Spin it however you want. Rice is 2-3. Bailiff needs to do something or get off the pot and get someone in there that can win some FOOTBALL GAMEZ!!1!