Drc Mean Green Hasn't Shown Everything Yet

OldTimer

I don't have that big of a problem.

Unlike a DD team, they went in with a plan to win.

It didn't work out and we are down 21 points.

At that point I see nothing wrong with going conservative

We are in the midst of rebuilding this thing.

The major complaint with DD I had was, I believed we were moving towards something greater in the early 00's, so it bothered me when we went up there with the intention of losing.

I don't have that big of a problem.

Unlike a DD team, they went in with a plan to win.

It didn't work out and we are down 21 points.

At that point I see nothing wrong with going conservative

We are in the midst of rebuilding this thing.

The major complaint with DD I had was, I believed we were moving towards something greater in the early 00's, so it bothered me when we went up there with the intention of losing.

Did DD ever come out and say that? I am a little surprised that Dodge comes out and admits that after only 3 series of the first game, they decided to basically scrap the game plan and go conservative. How do we know DD didn't do the same, after all, without Dodge admitting this, we would still be wondering what happened.

Did DD ever come out and say that? I am a little surprised that Dodge comes out and admits that after only 3 series of the first game, they decided to basically scrap the game plan and go conservative. How do we know DD didn't do the same, after all, without Dodge admitting this, we would still be wondering what happened.

Ok intention is a little too strong. No one intends to lose.

Lets just say he was less than motivated to coach to win in these games. Somewhere on here is a long list of his great comments regarding the OOC games

I certainly understand the initial response to Dodge's comments. You hate to pack it in that early. But be realistic. It's 21-0, on the road, you've got zero pass rush, and the passing game is struggling. At that point, I have to agree with Dodge's decision. The running game keeps the clock moving, keeps the game from turning into another monumental rout, gets some much-needed work for Cam Montgomery, and keeps Vizza from getting killed. If UNT had thrown the ball fifty times, they might have brought Vizza home in a box. The fact that they threw less and ran more must have been a big factor in sustaining only two sacks.

Besides, we're going to need a running game this year. If Montgomery can provide that big-play spark on the ground, that's a huge factor for opposing defenses to take into consideration. You love to make those opposing safeties keep the running game in the back of their minds.

Fact is, down 21-0 early with no pass rush and a struggling passing game, that game was lost and the only question was by how much. At that point, keep the score down, work on a few things, and get the hell of town with as few injuries as possible.

I certainly understand the initial response to Dodge's comments. You hate to pack it in that early. But be realistic. It's 21-0, on the road, you've got zero pass rush, and the passing game is struggling. At that point, I have to agree with Dodge's decision. The running game keeps the clock moving, keeps the game from turning into another monumental rout, gets some much-needed work for Cam Montgomery, and keeps Vizza from getting killed. If UNT had thrown the ball fifty times, they might have brought Vizza home in a box. The fact that they threw less and ran more must have been a big factor in sustaining only two sacks.

Besides, we're going to need a running game this year. If Montgomery can provide that big-play spark on the ground, that's a huge factor for opposing defenses to take into consideration. You love to make those opposing safeties keep the running game in the back of their minds.

Fact is, down 21-0 early with no pass rush and a struggling passing game, that game was lost and the only question was by how much. At that point, keep the score down, work on a few things, and get the hell of town with as few injuries as possible.

Ditto. You never ever like to concede anything, but when your special teams have put you behind that far that fast you have to find a way to shorten the game. Now, if you break something quick (i.e. a long run, a special teams play for your team, a turnover) and get the score back down to 14 or 10 before half, you may open it back up.

We had veterans who didn't make their normal plays and we had young guys who made young mistakes (especially on kick returns). Hopefully, your veterans will return to their norm and the young guys will grow up and learn and get better. I believe they will and by the time we get to conference hopefully this thing will be rolling.

This game should have been more like 28 - 10 not 45 - 6, but if you don't make first downs (especially with all the dropped passes), your defense stays on the field, your offense doesn't get chances and you keep exposing the same special teams that let you down earlier in the game.

"We were pretty conservative,” Dodge said of the Mean Green’s approach offensively against Kansas State. “We threw the ball 29 times and completed 16. Without the drops and four inaccurate passes we could have been 23-for-29. In hindsight we would have liked to get [redshirt freshman wide receiver] Sam Roberson more involved, but we went three-and-out on our first three possessions and I didn’t want the game to get crazy out of hand. People who have watched us know that our mode of operations is not to not take shots.”

Admittedly, my math is a bit rusty. However...

16 completions + 3 drops + 4 inaccurate passes = 23. So what the heck happened to the other six passes? If a pass is not inaccurate, not dropped, not intercepted, but not completed, what are we looking at here? Maybe the ball was thrown so hard that it still hasn't come down?

"We were pretty conservative,” Dodge said of the Mean Green’s approach offensively against Kansas State. “We threw the ball 29 times and completed 16. Without the drops and four inaccurate passes we could have been 23-for-29. In hindsight we would have liked to get [redshirt freshman wide receiver] Sam Roberson more involved, but we went three-and-out on our first three possessions and I didn’t want the game to get crazy out of hand. People who have watched us know that our mode of operations is not to not take shots.”

16 completions + 3 drops + 4 inaccurate passes = 23. So what the heck happened to the other six passes? If a pass is not inaccurate, not dropped, not intercepted, but not completed, what are we looking at here? Maybe the ball was thrown so hard that it still hasn't come down?

One other point that hasn't been made: If every handoff had gone in for a touchdown, we'd have scored 26 TDs! Even if every extra point got blocked, that's still 156 points, more than enough to have won the game handily.

I love you, hypothetical alternate reality!

One does not master the Darrell Dickey play not to lose game plan overnight my son.

The Darrell Himself sometimes had problems with it.

Of course, it's easy to reminisce about the good 'ol days... remember when we went to Austin and only lost by 20 something... that was awesome...

awesomemedgj4.png

Edit: Looks like I can't spell reminisce.

Edited by Cerebus

Way to teach kids to give up, before they ever get started, not very happy with his recent change in coaching philosophy. Todge you used to be my hero, now I don't know what to believe in. :(

How is that giving up before you even started

They went in with a plan and it got pnwed

down 21-0 they revisted the plan and went conservative

Its not like it was Dickey ball all day

I really had no intention of going so negative, and I fully intend on backing away from the keyboard after this... But that statement just isn't true. The first series was two delayed handoffs and a skipped ball pass. Classic Dickeyball.

The second series, 1st and 10 on our own 20 after a touchback, we had to call timeout because we couldn't get a play called. My biggest frustration with Meager under Dickey and Flanagan was failure to get a play off on time and the frequent need to call timeout because of poor offensive communication.

Then, 3rd series, we call things off (according to Todd Dodge).

My point was it seemed that they never even really tried to go through their game plan, and to say lets give it up, why even try? I can't agree with that. Hopefully we will do what we need to do against tulsa.

Edited by filmerj

Edit: Looks like I can't spell reminisce.

I just figured being an engineer you are a numbers guy.

Now, one of the things we got excited about with DODGE is a new winning attitude.

People can try an spin it all they want, but this is not a winning attitude!

one more thing: I mean giving them the score before the half HOW IS THAT CONSERVATIVE? smells like bs to me

I just figured being an engineer you are a numbers guy.

Now, one of the things we got excited about with DODGE is a new winning attitude.

People can try an spin it all they want, but this is not a winning attitude!

one more thing: I mean giving them the score before the half HOW IS THAT CONSERVATIVE? smells like bs to me

I hate to keep bringing this up but..........

Let's give a cheer for U of NT! Cheer for the green and white.

Victory's in store whate'er the score.

Our team will ever fight. Fight, fight, fight!

Shoulder to shoulder we march along, striving for vic-tor-y.

Playing the game for the honor and fame and glory of UNT!

U.....N.....T Eagles! UNT Eagles! Fight, fight, fight!

Between DD's way of approaching OCC games, and now what appears to be TD's way of approaching OCC games, maybe the words to the fight song need to be revised........ <_<

:D:D:D

You know, I think someone needs to attend next weeks TD show and ask him if he can explain that one. I would love to see his reaction and hear his explaination....... ;)

WOW..."good Golly Miss Molly"....how fast the "faithful" can turn!!!!! Come on folks, if you have spent ANY time at all around Coach Dodge you know there is no "give up" in him and no "give up" in his teams. I would imagine that "what he said is not what you heard"....maybe he was a little too into the Coach-speak for some, but if you thought UNT was going into K-St-ville and win that game, you were simply miostaken. Yes, UNT will pull the big upset one of these days (aka Ark. State, etc.), but not yet. Now, faithful...spell with me here...R-E-B-U-I-L-D-I-N-G!!!!

I hate to let you in on the secret, but there will be no SBC crown under the Mean Green's Tree this Christmas, but there will be all kinds of nicely wrapped "goodies" in the way "improvements" over last season. GOOD GRIEF...it was the "cash cow" opener and UNT got beat. So be it...get over it and remember that we could be TX A&M fans!

Bad game, bad outcome...GRANTED...went Dickey-like conservative to keep the score down (maybe)...I get it. SO WHAT! Let's see how the season goes and look for the overall improvements that are coming. Remember, Dodge has not even had time to "stock-up" with his "own guys" as yet, and just now has a defensive coordinator that can match the creativity of the offensive side of the ball.

Oh, Come all Ye faithful.........See you at Fouts...GO MEAN GREEN!