Why ASU Kept Their Starters In

Mean Green 93-98

I didn't hear it myself, but my wife was listening to Hugh Freeze's coaching show on the radio. In case you didn't notice, it really looked like ASU was trying to run up the score at the end--they kept their starters in the whole way, they were throwing on virtually every down (which ended up giving us time to score our last TD as well). Apparently Coach Freeze was asked on the show why he kept the starters in. The reason he gave? Because he did not want Lance Dunbar to hit 100 yards.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I knew there wasn't any way Freeze said what he is being blamed for saying because I saw it with my own eyes.

You are correct about Aplin. Second teamers played on offense but the QB situation is not ideal.

The discussion has nothing to do with Freeze. There is a contingent here who believes the backup QB moved the ball against your first team defense. He never did. He could have played 100 quarters in a row for 25 hours and not moved the ball on your first team defense. You guys could have pulled two guys off the field and played with nine and he wouldn't be able to move the ball.

The discussion has nothing to do with Freeze. There is a contingent here who believes the backup QB moved the ball against your first team defense. He never did. He could have played 100 quarters in a row for 25 hours and not moved the ball on your first team defense. You guys could have pulled two guys off the field and played with nine and he wouldn't be able to move the ball.

Is this for real? I thought we had a contingent saying "let the coaches decide who plays qb (since they will anyway). And I have nothing against the young man (hey, he should want to play like anyone on the team), I just disagree with the coaching decisions that have put him in these situations.