UNT Playing in 2013 Coaches vs. Cancer

bdan2002

Sorry if this was already posted, but I was looking at 2013 Pre-Season Tournaments and noticed we are playing in the 2013 Coaches vs. Cancer Classic.

Campus Sites: TBD

Finals at Brooklyn: Nov. 22 and 23

Hosts and Semifinalists

Michigan State Spartans (Big Ten)

Oklahoma Sooners (Big 12)

Seton Hall Pirates (Big East)

Virginia Tech Hokies (ACC)

Visitors (Kent State Golden Flashes and GopherHole.com)

Columbia Lions (Ivy)

Idaho Vandals (WAC)

Kent State Golden Flashes (MAC)

Niagara Purple Eagles (MAAC)

North Texas Mean Green (C-USA)

Portland Pilots (WCC)

USC Upstate Spartans (A-Sun)

Western Carolina Catamounts (SoCon)

Nov. 9

USC Upstate at Virginia Tech (USC Upstate Spartans)

Nov. 13

Kent State at Seton Hall

Nov. 18

Portland at Michigan State (GopherHole.com)

At Kent State

Nov. 21

USC Upstate vs. Niagara

Western Carolina at Kent State

Nov. 22

Niagara vs. Western Carolina

USC Upstate at Kent State

Nov. 23

Western Carolina vs. USC Upstate

Niagara at Kent State

At Portland

Nov. 21-23

Columbia, Idaho, North Texas, Portland (GopherHole.com)

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I just don't get the point of Coaches vs. cancer (cancer doesn't deserve to be capitalized).

I understand that the coaches wear basketball shoes with their suits during a game to raise cancer awareness. But is there a basketball fan that isn't aware of cancer ? Does cancer research get a cut of the gate that night ? Do the coaches contribute money toward cancer research ? Other than the shoes, what's the point ?

And before you tell me your story, my Dad died from cancer and my Mom is probably the longest living cancer survivor in the world.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I just don't get the point of Coaches vs. cancer (cancer doesn't deserve to be capitalized).

I understand that the coaches wear basketball shoes with their suits during a game to raise cancer awareness. But is there a basketball fan that isn't aware of cancer ? Does cancer research get a cut of the gate that night ? Do the coaches contribute money toward cancer research ? Other than the shoes, what's the point ?

And before you tell me your story, my Dad died from cancer and my Mom is probably the longest living cancer survivor in the world.

GO MEAN GREEN

according to coachesvscancer.org:

participating coaches have helped raise more than $87 million to help the American Cancer Society

So yeah, I think the tournament does a lot!

• Upvote 3

GO MEAN GREEN

I'm with you on this one, greenjoe, both my parents and a sister all 3 died of cancer. It Is not one of my favorite subjects albeit I do give to the American Cancer Society when I can in their names and honor. I do hope the coaches raise millions toward a cure for cancer.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen