UNT annouces Series with Army

97and03

So we DON'T get Army in 2013. But Ball State does.

I wonder if West Texas A&M is available?

http://meangreenblog...d-army-se.html/

Details of the SMU and Army series

A source at the UNT athletic department has confirmed the details of the series with SMU and Army that will be announced later today.

The SMU deal is for four games from 2014-17 with an option for eight additional games through 2025. The first four games will alternate sites, beginning with a game in Denton.

The Army series will be six games beginning with a home-and-home in 2009 and 2010. UNT will host the first game. The series will then resume in 2016 with the games alternating between West Point and Denton, beginning with a game at West Point. The last game of the series will take place in Denton in 2019.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Read the "if" sentence.

I can read and I did...I still ask...what world or alternative universe...because even with the IF some folks would still complain. I think you missed the point.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There isn't a Mean Green fan alive who would have a problem with us scheduling Grambling at home . . .

. . . if in that same year, our home schedule also included Virginia, Iowa State, Texas Tech, K-State, and OU.

From what you said, you would be fine with Unt playing in the Big 12 and playing a lesser quality team... Since Unt isnt in the Big 12 they are in the Sun Belt/ CUSA you would be fine with them playing D-3 schools... Big 12 plays D-1AA, Sun Belt/CUSA plays D-3. Since Texas Southern is a D-1AA, you should be upset that they are playing a better quality team...

Edited by Dr. Seuss
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

From what you said, you would be fine with Unt playing in the Big 12 and playing a lesser quality team... Since Unt isnt in the Big 12 they are in the Sun Belt/ CUSA you would be fine with them playing D-3 schools... Big 12 plays D-1AA, Sun Belt/CUSA plays D-3. Since Texas Southern is a D-1AA, you should be upset that they are playing a better quality team...

Logic escapes some folks...don't even try. Problem here is not that folks don't want to play and do back to backs with SEC/Big XII, etc. teams...it's the risk of having to shell out $250,000 - $300,000 at this point with UNT's fan base, support and attendance that is the issue. Hard to actually risk that sort of cash at UNT right now and justify it as something to the effect..."well, we had great attendance at that one game, but we lost out shirts financially"....just not enough "free cash" floating around right now I would think to try to take that on. Lots of folks don't seem to realize that UNT's fan base and support level do not justify very many risks to the overall budget like that.....I think all UNT fans would love to see big name schools come to Apogee for games, and I think in the not so distant future we'll see just that.

So, if Mean Green 93-98 wants to see those "bigger boys" at Apogee...just like the rest of us would....fans need to step up and buy season tickets, club seats and donate to the capital campaigns and join the Mean green Club. Folks can't continue to "let someone else do it" or get mad at some little nothing and withhold support and see that scheduling situation change anytime soon.

• Upvote 2

Logic escapes some folks...don't even try. Problem here is not that folks don't want to play and do back to backs with SEC/Big XII, etc. teams...it's the risk of having to shell out $250,000 - $300,000 at this point with UNT's fan base, support and attendance that is the issue. Hard to actually risk that sort of cash at UNT right now and justify it as something to the effect..."well, we had great attendance at that one game, but we lost out shirts financially"....just not enough "free cash" floating around right now I would think to try to take that on. Lots of folks don't seem to realize that UNT's fan base and support level do not justify very many risks to the overall budget like that.....I think all UNT fans would love to see big name schools come to Apogee for games, and I think in the not so distant future we'll see just that.

So, if Mean Green 93-98 wants to see those "bigger boys" at Apogee...just like the rest of us would....fans need to step up and buy season tickets, club seats and donate to the capital campaigns and join the Mean green Club. Folks can't continue to "let someone else do it" or get mad at some little nothing and withhold support and see that scheduling situation change anytime soon.

ULM is in MUCH worse shape than we are, yet they managed to get it done.

Fix the schedule. I'm tried of excuses, and I'm not a moaner and complainer.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

ULM is in MUCH worse shape than we are, yet they managed to get it done.

Fix the schedule. I'm tried of excuses, and I'm not a moaner and complainer.

Logic escapes some folks . . . don't even try.

So do you tell your kids or had your parents tell you to stop worrying/ comparing about your brother/ sister and with yourself.. All you need to do is worry about yourself... Thats what UNT needs to do, worry about UNT not what ULM is doing

I still haven't received a comment on my earlier statement, was I wrong or right???

So do you tell your kids or had your parents tell you to stop worrying/ comparing about your brother/ sister and with yourself.. All you need to do is worry about yourself... Thats what UNT needs to do, worry about UNT not what ULM is doing

I still haven't received a comment on my earlier statement, was I wrong or right???

So, in essence what you are saying is you know all those good looking coeds on the hill, and are even a Greek, just like them, but choose to lay down with the fat, 3 toothed girl waiting in line for her section 8 voucher.

But, that's ok, because those older, better looking, rich recent grads from your frat are slumming it with the coeds on the hill when they could be nailing hot 28 year old female doctors and lawyers.

Got it.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Wrong.

• Upvote 2

Wrong.

So how am I wrong, did I miss read what you wrote?

So, in essence what you are saying is you know all those good looking coeds on the hill, and are even a Greek, just like them, but choose to lay down with the fat, 3 toothed girl waiting in line for her section 8 voucher.

But, that's ok, because those older, better looking, rich recent grads from your frat are slumming it with the coeds on the hill when they could be nailing hot 28 year old female doctors and lawyers.

Got it.

Got it.

Your comparing apples to oranges.. I compared 2 FBS divisions, while youre comparing guys sleeping with girls

Your comparing apples to oranges.. I compared 2 FBS divisions, while youre comparing guys sleeping with girls

What do apples and oranges have to do with anything in a world where we don't comprehend metaphors?

• Upvote 1

I really didn't feel like wasting time with this, since your "analogy" is not remotely analogous to what I was talking about. The point is, if we have 5 lights-out killer games scheduled at home--one ACC and four Big XII--I'm not going to be upset if our 6th game is a warmup. As long as that 6th game can be used toward bowl eligibility.

But when we have only 5 games at home, none of them better than mediocre to your casual fan, with the South Alabama game being another big yawner--I am somewhat less thrilled with scheduling Texas Southern.

• Upvote 4

I really didn't feel like wasting time with this, since your "analogy" is not remotely analogous to what I was talking about. The point is, if we have 5 lights-out killer games scheduled at home--one ACC and four Big XII--I'm not going to be upset if our 6th game is a warmup. As long as that 6th game can be used toward bowl eligibility.

But when we have only 5 games at home, none of them better than mediocre to your casual fan, with the South Alabama game being another big yawner--I am somewhat less thrilled with scheduling Texas Southern.

The only way you have 1 ACC and 4 big 12 home games is to be in the Big 12 or being independent... The way you get to the Big 12 is by winning games, and bowl games... You can win games by playing lesser quality can opponents, and to give your team a break and play your back ups...

Yes an upset to a top 25 team will increase your rankings but its unlikely.. Everyone talks about going to bowl games, but if keep on scheduling Big 12 type of teams, you will have a harder time getting to 6 to 7 wins

• Upvote 1

The only way you have 1 ACC and 4 big 12 home games is to be in the Big 12 or being independent... The way you get to the Big 12 is by winning games, and bowl games... You can win games by playing lesser quality can opponents, and to give your team a break and play your back ups...

Yes an upset to a top 25 team will increase your rankings but its unlikely.. Everyone talks about going to bowl games, but if keep on scheduling Big 12 type of teams, you will have a harder time getting to 6 to 7 wins

Okay, yes, I realize we're not talking in terms of present UNT reality. But remember, all this was prompted by KRAM1's gleeful comment:

One comment that had me laughing to myself the rest of the evening was the fact that TCU is playing Grambling at home this year! I did not know that and it just made me laugh knowing all the comments that have been made about UNT opening with Texas Southern. Made my event.

If we were in TCU's shoes in terms of schedule (not to mention everything else), I really think we would be okay with one of six home games being a SWAC team.

And, believe it or not, it's not that big of a deal to me personally anyway. I'm a Mean Green junkie, and will hang on what happens every single play, even if we're up 30 or more. But there is a limited number of Mean Green junkies out there; and for the good of building interest, home schedules such as this year's have to stop.

• Upvote 3

Okay, yes, I realize we're not talking in terms of present UNT reality. But remember, all this was prompted by KRAM1's gleeful comment:

If we were in TCU's shoes in terms of schedule (not to mention everything else), I really think we would be okay with one of six home games being a SWAC team.

And, believe it or not, it's not that big of a deal to me personally anyway. I'm a Mean Green junkie, and will hang on what happens every single play, even if we're up 30 or more. But there is a limited number of Mean Green junkies out there; and for the good of building interest, home schedules such as this year's have to stop.

I can see your point but people are over-thinking who we play for our OOC games, those are only 2 games and this year 1.. Whats more important is our conference games because we have 4 of them... If were playing in a conference that no one cares about, no one will show up.. When you play quality conference opponents, people will care less about OOC games.. To be honest, if that one home game brings 10k less in attendance but gets us into a bowl game, thats a win for everyone.. People dont see the big picture

TCU - First Home Game 2006 - UC Davis - Big Sky Conf

TCU - First Home Game 2008 - Stephen F Austin - Southland Conf

TCU - First Home Game 2009 - Texas State - Southland

TCU - First Home Game 2010 - Tennessee Tech - Ohio Valley Conference

TCU -Second Home Game 2011 - Portland State - Big Sky

TCU - First Home Game 2012 - Grambling - SWAC

• Upvote 1

Stop it will you! You are disrupting a perfectly good argument with facts, truth, and statistics. Logic has no place in this discussion about the Mean Green Cookout.... that is the topic, correct?

I can see your point but people are over-thinking who we play for our OOC games, those are only 2 games and this year 1.. Whats more important is our conference games because we have 4 of them... If were playing in a conference that no one cares about, no one will show up.. When you play quality conference opponents, people will care less about OOC games.. To be honest, if that one home game brings 10k less in attendance but gets us into a bowl game, thats a win for everyone.. People dont see the big picture

And what if we lose to Texas Southern?

RV has addressed this directly in more than one venue - once as recently as last Saturday night.

He has explained why it happened.

He has taken responsibility for the weak home game schedule.

He has told us that he, likewise, is not happy with the schedule.

But short-term decisions were made; commitments to KSU and Houston are being met; and from this point forward there will be quality 6-home game schedules as the norm.

It seems to me that this issue has been talked to death and it is time to move on.

• Upvote 3

That is an awesome find. And just as soon as the remainder of our home slate looks like theirs did each of those years this will be a valid comparison...until then the TSU is game 1 of a home menu that only the diehards will swallow.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 1

Money...donations, Mean Green Club memberships, season ticket purchases, rear ends actually in the seats at Apogee (yes, no matter who the other team is that Mean Green is playing or how many games at home we are playing)....then, we can all expect to regularly see Big XII, SEC, Big Ten, PAC Whatever, etc. teams palying at Apogee.

So, however one wants to slice it...and everybody has a point...one can either decide to be part of the solution or part of the problem. As fans, we can do certain things to help...we all know what the most inmportant of those "things" are...so, again, one can choose to be part of the solution by doing those sort of things or part of the problem by withholding support for whatever real or imagined reason.

Nice thing is...every one gets to make that call for themselevs...but let's not delude ourselves into thinking that anyone is helping by not attending games, by not joining or renewing their membership in the Mean Green Club, by not attending fan events, by not buying season or individual game tickets and through pointing out publicly every chance they get to talk about what THEY think is wrong in the Athletic dept and with everything that is Mean Green Athletics.

I have absolutley ZERO problems with anyone who has a personal challenge with anything to do with UNT or UNT Athletics....I have my own challenges in those areas, but there is a time and a place to deal maturely, professionally and privately and with the correct individuals in those cases. I can tell you that while not every idea, suggestion or challenge I have had in these areas has been resolved 100% to my satisfaction, they have been handled professionally and I have had my "hearing" with the proper folks. Sometimes, I found I did not have enough info or the real facts...they cleared those up for me as well...they didn't see it as a challenge to their authority or a threat that I would withhold what support I can and do give....it was a professional and open dialogue. I'm 100% good with that.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

RV has addressed this directly in more than one venue - once as recently as last Saturday night.

He has explained why it happened.

He has taken responsibility for the weak home game schedule.

He has told us that he, likewise, is not happy with the schedule.

But short-term decisions were made; commitments to KSU and Houston are being met; and from this point forward there will be quality 6-home game schedules as the norm.

It seems to me that this issue has been talked to death and it is time to move on.

Yet we sign 2 money games with Iowa without a return.

Talk is cheap.

We should be able to schedule better than freaking ULM. We haven't. And that is COMPLETE failure.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yet we sign 2 money games with Iowa without a return.

Talk is cheap.

We should be able to schedule better than freaking ULM. We haven't. And that is COMPLETE failure.

So is posting on a chat board...I wonder if anyone here was in on any of the discussions and how it really went down so as to know what the full extent of the situation is/was? Indeed, talk is cheap. I would imagine that being the one trying to get this all done with all the moving parts and people involved is a tad more challeging that just seeing it from the outside. UNT SHOULD be able to do a lot of things they would like to do differently. Should being the operative word here....am sure that even in the world of law enforcement there were and are many cases of "Should" having been able to do something that looks one way to those on the outside, but entirely differently to those actually doing the heavy lifting on the inside of law enforcement...you think?

I do agree with UNT90 in that ULM SHOULD nebver be able to do anything better than the MEAN GREEN. But, even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in awhile it seems. Any Mean Green fans want to trade places with ULM fans? Wow...not me.

• Upvote 2