UNT 2015 Spring game in review

UNT 90 Grad

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Sure there were a few missed assignments, but you can't judge on highlights alone. I mean was there really 8 mins of highlights from that game anyways?

When you combine both the 1st & 2nd defensive units you should be able to piece together a decent unit. Not a 2013 unit, but possibly better than last year. I don't envision a star studded D, but rather 11 guys with equal talent who combined together could make for a good D. It's gonna take all the pieces functioning together though. Because there isn't a Zach Orr, Akunne, or Trice to save someone's missed assignment.

Spot on
  • Upvote 2

Sure there were a few missed assignments, but you can't judge on highlights alone. I mean was there really 8 mins of highlights from that game anyways?

When you combine both the 1st & 2nd defensive units you should be able to piece together a decent unit. Not a 2013 unit, but possibly better than last year. I don't envision a star studded D, but rather 11 guys with equal talent who combined together could make for a good D. It's gonna take all the pieces functioning together though. Because there isn't a Zach Orr, Akunne, or Trice to save someone's missed assignment.

Yep.

And the defense didn't alter or adapt to any of the playcalling not to mention that I didn't see a blitz the entire day.

**It is extremely difficult to play in the secondary in these types of scrimmages.

• Upvote 4

Call me a conspiracy theorist with a tin foil hat but I see it this way. Consider this my online stroke moment(Dave Barnett migraine moment).

Mac is going to make McNulty the starter. Coach Mac has done everything he could to allow his buddy's son leave his mark as a college quarterback(at the only place he had a chance in hell of seeing the field at the D1 level).

What other school in FBS history would've put in a true freshman quarterback with ZERO other FBS offers in a goalline set to score the first touchdown in the history of its brand new stadium?

Derek Thompson was better than most give him credit for. If he weren't an upperclassman and not quite as good, McNulty would've started the 2012 season.

I think Mac knows that Damarcus Smith will not qualify but had to sign a talented qb to make it look like he attempted to improve the qb situation. When Smith doesn't qualify in the fall, Mac will say that he hadn't planned on that and will have to go with the number 1 he trusts in senior Andrew McNulty.

Dajon Williams will not rise above #3 on the depth chart during the 2015 season unless injuries require it. With Josh Greer between McNulty and Williams, Mac knows people won't be begging for McNulty to be benched in favor of Greer.

The 2016 will be the season to look forward to, McNulty will be gone and I wouldn't be terribly surprised if McCarney follows him after setting his buddy's kid up with the best college legacy he possible could. 2016 without McNulty will allow for a true, unbiased, quarterback competition. Williams will likely win the competition with Means as his backup. We will have offensive production in 2016 as good or better than we did in 2012. We will win conference and go bowling in 2016. We just have to ride out McNulty's senior season.

If anyone besides McNulty (and he his healthy) starts the SMU game I will be "head sewn to the carpet" shocked. If it goes the way I expect, I will give up on the 2015 season. Chad Morris is not June Jones. Morris will actually understand the importance of this game to the fans. Jones just didn't care. I don't want to be embarrassed in front of their a-hole fans just because McCarney wants to give his adopted son the title of starting D1 quarterback.

I wish I thought you were crazy. I really really wish I did.

• Upvote 6

Call me a conspiracy theorist with a tin foil hat but I see it this way. Consider this my online stroke moment(Dave Barnett migraine moment).

Mac is going to make McNulty the starter. Coach Mac has done everything he could to allow his buddy's son leave his mark as a college quarterback(at the only place he had a chance in hell of seeing the field at the D1 level).

What other school in FBS history would've put in a true freshman quarterback with ZERO other FBS offers in a goalline set to score the first touchdown in the history of its brand new stadium?

Derek Thompson was better than most give him credit for. If he weren't an upperclassman and not quite as good, McNulty would've started the 2012 season.

I think Mac knows that Damarcus Smith will not qualify but had to sign a talented qb to make it look like he attempted to improve the qb situation. When Smith doesn't qualify in the fall, Mac will say that he hadn't planned on that and will have to go with the number 1 he trusts in senior Andrew McNulty.

Dajon Williams will not rise above #3 on the depth chart during the 2015 season unless injuries require it. With Josh Greer between McNulty and Williams, Mac knows people won't be begging for McNulty to be benched in favor of Greer.

The 2016 will be the season to look forward to, McNulty will be gone and I wouldn't be terribly surprised if McCarney follows him after setting his buddy's kid up with the best college legacy he possible could. 2016 without McNulty will allow for a true, unbiased, quarterback competition. Williams will likely win the competition with Means as his backup. We will have offensive production in 2016 as good or better than we did in 2012. We will win conference and go bowling in 2016. We just have to ride out McNulty's senior season.

If anyone besides McNulty (and he his healthy) starts the SMU game I will be "head sewn to the carpet" shocked. If it goes the way I expect, I will give up on the 2015 season. Chad Morris is not June Jones. Morris will actually understand the importance of this game to the fans. Jones just didn't care. I don't want to be embarrassed in front of their a-hole fans just because McCarney wants to give his adopted son the title of starting D1 quarterback.

I don't think McNulty is starting because he is his son's friend. I think he is starting because McCarney trusts him more than he does anyone else on the team. And its not close.

As for your view on Damarcus Smith not being able to gain eligibility and Mac probably knowing that, I believe that possibility, that going after Damarcus satisfies the very few fans that actually care enough about the team to question how a FBS team could be in this spot at QB. He doesn't qualify, Mac just says, "We tried, but we are going with my guy, McNulty..." He finishes the year as the busdriver du jour, porbably leads us to all of 3 or 4 wins, then graduates. And Canales leaves, since his contract is up.

We bring in a new OC, one that Mac deems qualified to run the Buick offense, then next year, the battle is between any QBs not named Dajon Williams. That guy is buried so far back in Mac's doghouse that he will leave the program, eventually, probably sooner rather than later, when he leaves the fall camp as the third or 4th string QB. I'd bet that Means will be the starter, by then.

To me, 2016 isn't the season to point to at getting back to the 2013 level, its 2017. That would give you a QB with multiple busdriving years and hopefully a defense that is finally built back up to a size and style that was similar to 2013, not to mention great special teams. And 2017 would also be Mac's make-it-or-break-it year in his contract, meaning he either gets extended with a great season, announces he is going to retire at the end of the 2018 season, or gets terminated since he will have just one year left to be bought out.

I hate to say it, but I see 2015 as just being brutal, due first to the schedule, then to the QB play, and a defense that still needs more time to develop up to a good unit. 2016 is what I am hoping is the year we can get back to 5 or 6 wins, then 2017 to get to 7+ wins and a bowl berth again.

I don't think McNulty is starting because he is his son's friend. I think he is starting because McCarney trusts him more than he does anyone else on the team. And its not close.

As for your view on Damarcus Smith not being able to gain eligibility and Mac probably knowing that, I believe that possibility, that going after Damarcus satisfies the very few fans that actually care enough about the team to question how a FBS team could be in this spot at QB. He doesn't qualify, Mac just says, "We tried, but we are going with my guy, McNulty..." He finishes the year as the busdriver du jour, porbably leads us to all of 3 or 4 wins, then graduates. And Canales leaves, since his contract is up.

We bring in a new OC, one that Mac deems qualified to run the Buick offense, then next year, the battle is between any QBs not named Dajon Williams. That guy is buried so far back in Mac's doghouse that he will leave the program, eventually, probably sooner rather than later, when he leaves the fall camp as the third or 4th string QB. I'd bet that Means will be the starter, by then.

To me, 2016 isn't the season to point to at getting back to the 2013 level, its 2017. That would give you a QB with multiple busdriving years and hopefully a defense that is finally built back up to a size and style that was similar to 2013, not to mention great special teams. And 2017 would also be Mac's make-it-or-break-it year in his contract, meaning he either gets extended with a great season, announces he is going to retire at the end of the 2018 season, or gets terminated since he will have just one year left to be bought out.

I hate to say it, but I see 2015 as just being brutal, due first to the schedule, then to the QB play, and a defense that still needs more time to develop up to a good unit. 2016 is what I am hoping is the year we can get back to 5 or 6 wins, then 2017 to get to 7+ wins and a bowl berth again.

If this scenario plays out like this then I'll be done and I'll be doing what KRAM likes to call it, "supporting from afar."

I don't have the patience or the inner fortitude to watch this program go through this up close. I commend the people on here that give a damn about North Texas football, but we are at a crossroads in CFB and we can't afford to put this program through your prediction. It would set North Texas on the level of Idaho and the MAC Michigan's, irrelevant beyond measurement.

If this scenario plays out like this then I'll be done and I'll be doing what KRAM likes to call it, "supporting from afar."

I don't have the patience or the inner fortitude to watch this program go through this up close. I commend the people on here that give a damn about North Texas football, but we are at a crossroads in CFB and we can't afford to put this program through your prediction. It would set North Texas on the level of Idaho and the MAC Michigan's, irrelevant beyond measurement.

You'd be joining the hundreds of thousands of alumni and students who already don't give a rats ass about this place, not to mention the hundreds of thousands of DFW metro residents who don't give a damn about UNT sports, either.

And we are already on par with the Michigan MAC teams--those of us in the MAC, CUSA, and the SBC are all pretty much left behinds in the new world order of college football, just like most teams in the AAC and the MWC, too...

Edited by untjim1995

Eastern Michigan is the bad MAC Michigan school. Western Michigan has enjoyed a lot of success in the last decade or so. And they were 8-5 last year, return one of the nation's most efficient passers (so no, Mcnulty would not start for them like you said he would), are towards the tops in the nation in returning starters, and signed the top class in the MAC for the second year in a row. I wish we were on their level. Here's their recruiting class.

http://westernmichigan.247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/Commits

Whatever, dude. I was just throwing out historically pitiful programs with little to 0 success to hang their hat on. I don't care where McNulty would or wouldn't start, but its a shame that it could be here at North Texas. Central Michigan had a run of success not that long ago either, but hey also had 2 damn good coaches to bring success in Brian Kelly and Butch Jones. They'll fade away as will Western Michigan. It's really an embarrassment to be categorized with programs such as C-W-E Michigan, but it's the reality we are in. C-W Michigan is running away from us in those fertile recruiting grounds of Mount Pleasant, Michigan and Kalamazoo, Michigan. *sigh* It's just too hard to recruit in DFW, East Texas, Northern Louisiana, West Texas, Oklahoma, Southern Arkansas, etc. We are smack dab in the middle of arguably one of the most fertile recruiting areas in the entire country, but its too hard. Poor us.

Lets not pay attention to WMU's schedule last year either... wins over 1-win Idaho, FCS Murray St, 2-win Eastern Michigan, 2-win Miami (OH) and topped off their season with a 17-point drubbing to the hands of Air Force in their bowl game.

Their most impressive game they had in '14 was staying within 10 of NIU in a losing effort. I do wish we had a QB that Western Michigan was capable of landing and that's an embarrassing statement. Western Michigan is capable of getting a guy in there to throw for 3500 yards 26/10 and our HOFer Derek Thompson didn't flirt with 3000 and hovered in that 1:1 ratio. Zach Terrell would get statue erected around here, but he's too busy up in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

Give us those 4 games every year and I'll love our chances of getting to a winning season.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/headlines/20150418-nichols-new-coachs-goal-is-to-wake-a-sleeping-giant-morris-sees-potential-in-mustangs-fertile-recruiting-grounds.ece

I would like this guy, Chad Morris gets it, all of IT. I am sure we had close to or over 5k at the start and throughout the first 3 quarters. I am however, not sure we had 1,000 HS/MS (I say that bc their coaching cards are the same) stop by our spring practices and watch. SMU and Houston have really taken to Twitter I know that it's hard to believe but even that little bit makes the university more visible, and recruits see it as excitement.

Btw it looks like that really athletic QB they have is getting it figured out with some coaching.

SMU by seven in opener. Put it in six inch headline

Can someone define this "trust" concept according to the book of Mac? I don't know what that means. from my perspective, it would mean that you know that this person is going to do the right thing and make plays. by that definition, I trust very few people on this team, certainly not mini mac. 7 ints in 6 games while only throwing 6 tds isn't "trustworthy" to me. Maybe i'm just being rational though... I know how that can be dangerous around this program.

$100. says it is so, taking the dollars

over heart in this one, remember that MAC views this as NOT A RIVALRY-- that attitude will get him a big L @ Ford in Dallas!!!!

He might downplay the SMwho series with the media, but he's not putting pony helmets on hitting dummies for no reason.
  • Upvote 5

He might downplay the SMwho series with the media, but he's not putting pony helmets on hitting dummies for no reason.

Yeah, I tend to agree. I'm more disheartened Mac's record in non-conference road games than his PR rhetoric when discussing this series.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I tend to agree. I'm more disheartened Mac's record in non-conference road games than his PR rhetoric when discussing this series.

Mac's Non-Conference Road record while at UNT

2014- 2 losses at Texas (BIG 12 6-7) and Indiana (finished 4-8)

2013- 2 losses at Georgia (SEC 8-5) and Ohio (7-6 should of won but DT screwed it up)

2012- 3 losses at LSU (SEC 10-3), K-State (Big 12 11-2), and Houston (Middle of the Road Team 5-7)

2011- 2 losses at Alabama (SEC, National Champions) and Tulsa (7-1 in CUSA and 8-5 overall)

With exceptions to Ohio '13, Houston '12, maybe Tulsa '11 and maybe Indian last year, we play power house teams. What do you expect for Mac to do at LSU, Bama, Texas, and K-State besides get his ass handed to him?

I agree with you, I wish we had a better road record but we dont because we play P5 schools for money.

Edited by Withers940
  • Upvote 1