Superb Video Anthology of UNT & DFW Icon: Bill Mercer

PlummMeanGreen

As most on this forum know, UNT just named its Apogee Stadium media area as "The Bill Mercer Press Club.

The video talks about Bill Mercer's numerous caps he has worn since the the late 1950's here in the DFW Metroplex starting

with his even being downtown at the Dallas police station covering the Kennedy assasination, his being the "Voice of....the Mean Green, the Dallas Cowboys, the Texas Rangers, Saturday Night Wresting, etc, etc, etc, and with Bill Mercer "etc", ie, the abbreviation for "so on and so on" could be written many more times.

Great job for those who produced the above video of whom I'd bet would be the duo of George Dunham, ie, present Voice of the Mean Green and Dallas sports personality at the radio station we all know as KTCK 1310 "The Ticket." along with UNT AD associate and official Color Commentator of Mean Green football and basketball, Hank Dickenson.

GMG!

PS: Mr. Mercer, don't know if you frequent this board or not, but if you do it was a great honor for many of us on this forum who did get to meet you. I'll never forget being with you, Craig Way and Ron Shanklin for one quarter of a MG football game back in the mid 80's because of a silent auction bid I won at one of Jim Hobdy's Dallas Mean Green get-togethers. I still have pics of all that back in the day as a keepsake.

May you have many, many more sunsets. Mr. Mercer, and I know many on this board who've met you over the decades may want to express their own thoughts, too.

God bless...

Jim Plummer

Weatherford, Texas

North Texas grad, 1976

Mean Green & Proud of It!

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Plum, thanks for the video.

As someone who has literally listened to hundreds of his NT broadcasts, he was definitely one of the best. He was a NT homer and I loved every minute of it. Sometimes, he sounded like he had a tin can for equipment but he was always a professional. Anyone who is a long time fan of NT, has to have appreciated Bill. He did an excellent job with poor equipment and often little support.

If the room dedication video is still available on the official cite, you would enjoy it. Mercer can still talk a good game.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

Epic! I had the privilege of taking Mr. Mercer's classes back in the late '80's, and even though I'm not a Sportscaster, I do relish learning from such a Class Act as him! Thank You, Sir!

Love your icon!!

Bill taught me so much. I snuck in his class as a freshman at UNT when I wasn't supposed to be in the class. He let me on the radio with him as a freshman to do a Denton Bronco - Grapevine Mustang game. He never hesitated to put me in the line of fire early. While I am not in a career in sports broadcasting, I use Bill's teaching today in my role as Executive Director of the Children's Advocacy Center. He taught me preparation, confidence in speaking, hard work, and the right people skills that now help me speak on behalf of abused children. Thank you Bill. ....Dan Leal Class of 95,

• Upvote 1

just wanted to let you all know. i took the sports broadcasting class in 2009. its now taught by Hank Dickenson. Hank still uses many of the same techniques from Mr. Mercer. I also had the privilege of hearing Mr. Mercer talk in our class and is a great guy. wish i was around when he was our broadcaster (not that George and Hank don't do a good job, they are great too)