South Alabama (1/12/13)

CMJ

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

May have to get drunk to enjoy this one!

I have a fully stocked fridge and a child-free weekend. My incentive to stay sober allll day Saturday so I can safely drive up to Denton is pretty much at zero right now.

What's the over/under on actual fans in attendance?

I'll go at 2,500. Lots of season tickets sold before this season began, and those count, right? Actual butts in seats? I'm going 1,800.

We were all correct on one thing early in the fall. We predicted that this would be a historic basketball season for UNT, and brother, we weren't kidding!

• Upvote 3

If you want to see some good basketball Saturday, come at 5:00. The women's team plays good basketball. The skill level is amazing. Laura McCoy hits 3 pointers from the Wells Fargo logo, about 25 feet. The first time I saw her do that I thought "what are you doing ---swish". She has made herself into a good point guard through hard work. She was 6 of 7 from 3 against UALR and the miss was an off balance shot as the clock ran out on the first half. She has improved as much as any UNT athlete I can remember since she was a freshman. We have a young team - 1 senior, and they play hard and are well coached. Petersen makes in-game adjustments and they work. You can see what they are trying to accomplish. If you like basketball, like UNT, you will love this team. Your ticket to the men's game gets you in. Plenty of seats available, sit anywhere.

• Upvote 4

My problem with this team doesn't start with the coaches. Yes, they haven't been successful and tend to let us down, but we have 2 former head coaches on staff who have coached over 400 basketball games each. I think the problem with this team is the things that cant be coached, such as heart, effort, and laziness. How many times do you see our players laying out on the court for loose balls? How many times have you seen anyone besides Franklin take a charge? Not very many. You don't see any players out there going 100% from the start to the finish. That just hurts me to see guys with such athletic ability not using everything they can. When you have god given athleticism, use it. If you ever go watch the women's team you will see the biggest display of hustle and heart. Those girls sacrifice their bodies laying out for balls and taking charges, they show how bad they want to win, and have been about 1 play away in 8 different games from being about 12-2. The most impressive thing about this girls team is the fact that they have solid underclassmen to build around, with two transfers who could potentially be starting right now. I personally cant wait to see this team come tourney time, and next year, the future is bright for these ladies. Maybe all the hype was centered around the wrong gender....

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

My problem with this team doesn't start with the coaches. Yes, they haven't been successful and tend to let us down, but we have 2 former head coaches on staff who have coached over 400 basketball games each. I think the problem with this team is the things that cant be coached, such as heart, effort, and laziness. How many times do you see our players laying out on the court for loose balls? How many times have you seen anyone besides Franklin take a charge? Not very many. You don't see any players out there going 100% from the start to the finish. That just hurts me to see guys with such athletic ability not using everything they can. When you have god given athleticism, use it. If you ever go watch the women's team you will see the biggest display of hustle and heart. Those girls sacrifice their bodies laying out for balls and taking charges, they show how bad they want to win, and have been about 1 play away in 8 different games from being about 12-2. The most impressive thing about this girls team is the fact that they have solid underclassmen to build around, with two transfers who could potentially be starting right now. I personally cant wait to see this team come tourney time, and next year, the future is bright for these ladies. Maybe all the hype was centered around the wrong gender....

Welcome to the boards! I could not agree more, but be prepared. We have a lot of people who literally knowing about the sport who spout out their mouth ridiculous statements. I agree on the ladies team. I have enjoyed followingthe ladies and hope to make a home

game this year.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 10

Pool on which of the remaining players is injured/suspended tonight?

I'm going with Hardwick, who shoulda been suspended for a terrible defensive lapse against ULM ;-)

Hardwick played his butt off that game. Didn't get pulled out at all if I remember right. I'll cut him a little slack.

Welcome to the boards! I could not agree more, but be prepared. We have a lot of people who literally knowing about the sport who spout out their mouth ridiculous statements. I agree on the ladies team. I have enjoyed followingthe ladies and hope to make a home

game this year.

And this is skandrew, he used to post as Skiver. He said many really dumb things and changed his name to try to get out from under those statements. He either writes something so poorly that you can't understand what he means or he says something you just can't understand. Like you should play zone to stop the 3 or that you can't play zone in the NBA.

Enjoy your time on GMG.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Yes, it should all fall on the players: who mostly have been very successful until this year. Who the heck is in charge of leading these, in your view, lackadaisical players? I posted many times there is more than enough blame to go around. By the way no one goes 100% start to finish. I think the team has lost any semblance of confidence, but I go see good effort at times. They are prone to giving up before the game is over but that is a function of their almost total lack of success. Another caution is I think people read body language a lot better than they do effort. Obviously, the players are not playing well and deserve criticism but there is a lot more wrong with this team than lack of hustle.

I agree the girls team is progressing very well, but that has nothing to do with the men's team.

• Upvote 1

Hardwick played his butt off that game. Didn't get pulled out at all if I remember right. I'll cut him a little slack.

Hardwick got schooled by a much better point guard but I thought he played very hard. Hardwick is a good one, starting and playing the minutes he did at point to me overshadowed his lapses.