Seriously

Monkeypox

Much is being made about what a QB did in limited time in a game in which we were getting blown out.

Just finished watching it, since I got too mad the first time. Recap.

1) McNulty's first pass... poorly thrown on 3rd and 5. True Freshman.... possibly his worst throw of the game, including the picks.

2) Tulsa scores with ease... 5 plays, 76 yards, 1:28. Defense is a joke.

3) Next drive, our predictable, and predictably poor run game, runs for 3 yards on 3 plays (not counting McNulty's 1st down scramble). McNulty's in 3rd and 7... pick 6.

4) Next drive. Probably our best in terms of play-calling. We threw it on some 1st downs! This made more 2nd and 3rd and shorts, and we were able to convert them with the run game (using the pass to set up the run). Hamilton on the big pass play. 1st and goal at the 3. Can't run it in. Can't use a mobile QB (isn't this why we have him in?!). Rush rush rush rush... 0 points.

5) We FORCE A PUNT!

6) Good field position after the punt, decent run game, and pass interference get us to 1st and 10 at the 28. Holding penalty puts us out of it... 2nd and 17. Incomplete pass by McNulty. 3rd and 17... short pass... 3rd and 11. Penalty... 52 yard FG. Thank Jeebus.

7) Tulsa has a tough time the next drive... they actually have to convert a 3rd down. Otherwise... pie. A 25-yard TD pass where we missed approximately 125 tackles.

8) Good field position from Chancellor. McNulty completes a 3rd and 9 for a 37-yd pass to Chancellor. 3-for-3 on the drive. 1st and goal at the 6. The worst play McNulty made was taking the sack. But again we can't bang it in from 6 yards out. Fourth-and-23? FG Blocked. Yeahhhh.

9) Tulsa's back. 8 plays, 75 yards, 1:02. Still can't stop them. 28-3 Tulsa. Rout is on at the half.

10) McNulty picked returned 74 yards....

11) 2 bad rushes make it 3rd and 16 at the 16... McNulty converts. Another bad rush + a penalty and it's 2nd and 28. McNulty gets 16 of it back, gets sacked. Gets new life on a penalty. Another bad rush on 1st down (it's the 3rd quarter... can you see a pattern?) 3rd and ten... punt (penalty on our punt formation?)

12) A couple of plays and Tulsa had another TD. 5 plays, 81 yards, 1:57 off the clock. One pass on the drive for 60 yards.

13) Immediately after, McNulty's first pass is on 3rd and 14. Incomplete.

14) Defense gets a rare stop. McNulty completes a 46 yard pass to set up the TD.

15) NT gets the ball back at their own 1 yard line. 5 runs and a punt.

16) Tulsa puts in backups.

I was actually impressed with the true freshman QB. Two pick-6s is bad... really bad. But Tulsa could score any time they wanted to. The difference between Osborn's first TD drive and either of the ones that McNulty got us to 1st and goal? We threw on 1st down and blew their minds. The 2nd one... against backups, with a short field, after Tulsa's backups fumbled away the ball. I don't think Osborn makes a difference in the game here. We were beaten by a superior team in talent and scheme.

This board is a really strange one sometimes. A couple of weeks ago, people were wondering why Thompson was in there, because he "couldn't get it done" vs Alabama. Now we're lamenting his loss, and blaming the true freshman QB bc we couldn't run the ball or stop the Tulsa offense or block for a freaking FG.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

UNT90, Did Brett Viti steal your lollipop, your girlfriend and your homework? You have serious problem with him. Go to the coaches show and ask the questions you want answered. Information is restricted coming out of the Athletic Center. No one is talking under the DMac regime. Vito is a good reporter, but you can't report what you can't confirm. He reported that DT was in a walking boot. He also reported that DT said he would play. That is a quote from the player. DMac never gave a straight answer, like all coaches. Dmac is a master at coach speak and will not let any of his assistants speak on the record.

If you can't put a confirmed source down, you open yourself and your paper up to a lawsuit. It does not take a Brain Surgeon to figure out, that Vito is not Lazy and does care. But No one will ever accuse you of being a Brain Surgeon after reading any of your post.

Wow. Grab that passive/aggresive medicine and take a large dose, Ms. Vito.

Where is the reporting on Brooks? When asked directly on the podcast, Vito just said "Well, they won't tell me anything."

Maybe I would feel differently if he didn't devote so much of his writing time to rehashing the Dodge era and give us real information we can use. Do you really think he doesn't have relationships with people around and in the program from which information can be obtained? After 7 or 8 years? Really? Well, if that's the case, he isn't a very good beat reporter.

I always loved the info Mr. Vito provides on UNT and had zero problem with his writing until this football season. He seems burned out on covering UNT. When someone like me stops reading your UNT coverage, something is wrong with what you are doing.

As far as the coaching shows go, they really aren't even worth the listen. Unless I missed it, there is no open question forum, and I know for a fact that any questions sent in via Facebook are screened and edited. Nothing but generic questions allowed. I don't live in Denton, so I won't be making any coaches shows.

So, how about you help me out? Next show, why don't you ask about Brooks? Let me know how that works out for you.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

I don't care enough about it to waste my time. The kid quit. End of story.

A kid recruited by this staff at a need position, one of the supposed best recruits in the class, quits and you don't want to know the reason?

Talk about the walking definition of "honeymoon phase"

• Upvote 1

A kid recruited by this staff at a need position, one of the supposed best recruits in the class, quits and you don't want to know the reason?

Talk about the walking definition of "honeymoon phase"

What does it really matter ? We are not the ones to judge a 18/19 year old kid on what he did or didn't do and why he's not here. This staff has expectations of its players. Brooks either didn't meet those expectations or he just simply didn't want to be here.

We don't need yet another topic on a fan message board so grown men can gossip & act like junior high school girls

• Upvote 5

Much is being made about what a QB did in limited time in a game in which we were getting blown out.

Just finished watching it, since I got too mad the first time. Recap.

1) McNulty's first pass... poorly thrown on 3rd and 5. True Freshman.... possibly his worst throw of the game, including the picks.

2) Tulsa scores with ease... 5 plays, 76 yards, 1:28. Defense is a joke.

3) Next drive, our predictable, and predictably poor run game, runs for 3 yards on 3 plays (not counting McNulty's 1st down scramble). McNulty's in 3rd and 7... pick 6.

4) Next drive. Probably our best in terms of play-calling. We threw it on some 1st downs! This made more 2nd and 3rd and shorts, and we were able to convert them with the run game (using the pass to set up the run). Hamilton on the big pass play. 1st and goal at the 3. Can't run it in. Can't use a mobile QB (isn't this why we have him in?!). Rush rush rush rush... 0 points.

5) We FORCE A PUNT!

6) Good field position after the punt, decent run game, and pass interference get us to 1st and 10 at the 28. Holding penalty puts us out of it... 2nd and 17. Incomplete pass by McNulty. 3rd and 17... short pass... 3rd and 11. Penalty... 52 yard FG. Thank Jeebus.

7) Tulsa has a tough time the next drive... they actually have to convert a 3rd down. Otherwise... pie. A 25-yard TD pass where we missed approximately 125 tackles.

8) Good field position from Chancellor. McNulty completes a 3rd and 9 for a 37-yd pass to Chancellor. 3-for-3 on the drive. 1st and goal at the 6. The worst play McNulty made was taking the sack. But again we can't bang it in from 6 yards out. Fourth-and-23? FG Blocked. Yeahhhh.

9) Tulsa's back. 8 plays, 75 yards, 1:02. Still can't stop them. 28-3 Tulsa. Rout is on at the half.

10) McNulty picked returned 74 yards....

11) 2 bad rushes make it 3rd and 16 at the 16... McNulty converts. Another bad rush + a penalty and it's 2nd and 28. McNulty gets 16 of it back, gets sacked. Gets new life on a penalty. Another bad rush on 1st down (it's the 3rd quarter... can you see a pattern?) 3rd and ten... punt (penalty on our punt formation?)

12) A couple of plays and Tulsa had another TD. 5 plays, 81 yards, 1:57 off the clock. One pass on the drive for 60 yards.

13) Immediately after, McNulty's first pass is on 3rd and 14. Incomplete.

14) Defense gets a rare stop. McNulty completes a 46 yard pass to set up the TD.

15) NT gets the ball back at their own 1 yard line. 5 runs and a punt.

16) Tulsa puts in backups.

I was actually impressed with the true freshman QB. Two pick-6s is bad... really bad. But Tulsa could score any time they wanted to. The difference between Osborn's first TD drive and either of the ones that McNulty got us to 1st and goal? We threw on 1st down and blew their minds. The 2nd one... against backups, with a short field, after Tulsa's backups fumbled away the ball. I don't think Osborn makes a difference in the game here. We were beaten by a superior team in talent and scheme.

This board is a really strange one sometimes. A couple of weeks ago, people were wondering why Thompson was in there, because he "couldn't get it done" vs Alabama. Now we're lamenting his loss, and blaming the true freshman QB bc we couldn't run the ball or stop the Tulsa offense or block for a freaking FG.

This post has been promoted to an article

• Upvote 4

Yeah, well, don't harp on that too much. That kind of stuff is conveniently ignored for the most part. It's much easier to just beat on the guy that "THREW 2 PICK SIXES!!11!!" rather than the host of other issues which present themselves every week that UNT finds themselves with a personnel disadvantage. Much easier to see interceptions and make snap judgements about coaching!! :lol:

Also, it's easier to suggest that not one, but at least two or three coaches would sign off on starting a player who they didn't feel gave the team the best chance to win. Can you imagine dropping that poison pill in a locker room setting? Think a coaching staff with that much experience would PURPOSELY do something like that? Some of us do. Never mind that we didn't see any practice to confirm or deny whether this was based on practice or grasp of the offense itself. Even though there is anecdotal evidence to suggest that very thing.

There aren't any shortcuts to building the program. This lesson--hopefully--is becoming clear. You have to find out who your players and playmakers are, and who gives you the best chance to win going forward. UNT can't do this unless they sign and play those players. Personally, I'd much rather do this against a Tulsa in an away game that doesn't mean anything to SBC standings, but that's just me. It has to be done at some point. Full speed ahead, IMO.

Edited by LongJim
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

It's not that surprising to see some folks questioning leaving a true freshmen in to throw 2 pick-6s on our own side of the field.

Seeing what he's got isn't exactly a great excuse. There will be games at the end of the season or games that get out of hand that you could work him into. Yea, it's not the same as starting, but it is playing in a game in more than just goal line situations.

I'm not that upset about a true freshmen throwing pick 6s, I'm just upset that the game got out of hand. And you really can't blame anyone for questioning that.

There's no defending it. You just hope the kid doesn't do it again and gets better. Not unlike Tony Romo.

• Upvote 1

It's not that surprising to see some folks questioning leaving a true freshmen in to throw 2 pick-6s on our own side of the field.

If Osborn had thrown 2 pick 6's, there would have been an uproar that McNulty didn't start. People are upset the kid made some bad mistakes. BTW, should they have pulled him after the first one? Definitely the second one though, right? Just wondering when the best time to yank the kid would have been. It's really easy on Monday to second guess that "he shouldn't have started at all".

I'm just upset that the game got out of hand. And you really can't blame anyone for questioning that.

I certainly can't blame anyone for being upset that the game got out of hand. I haven't really seen many upset about that, in fact. They're more intent on second guessing the coaches and wondering why Osborn didn't start. But let's tap the brakes on throwing one player under the bus. UNT had garbage time TD's to pad the total. If we can second guess McNulty starting, then we can second guess whether UNT would have won the game without the pick 6's. Point totals say they wouldn't have. I still maintain that Tulsa was a good time for the kid to get his feet wet. You don't really want his coming out party to be in SBC play.

Edited by LongJim
  • Upvote 1

BTW, should they have pulled him after the first one? Definitely the second one though, right? Just wondering when the best time to yank the kid would have been. It's really easy on Monday to second guess that "he shouldn't have started at all".

No, if he's in and the starter, you have to go with him. They played it right after he was in. You're right, it is easy to second guess, and you can't really say that people shouldn't. I wonder how bad Osborne has looked in practice or how good McNulty has looked for McNulty to have been the clear favorite. It's really, really easy to second guess when you can't watch those practices or get updates about them. Even the most trustful fan of Dan McCarney is validated in wondering about what's going on. Not that it's bad, but just how good or bad have they looked?

Like I said, I don't have a problem with him playing. Hell, his red shirt is burned, he needs to get playing time and often. I just question this start.

It might not have changed the outcome of the game. You're right, chances are it wouldn't. I too, think Tulsa is better than their record is. Though, In a game like that, you can question everything. The QB just gets the most visibility when they throw INTs. Running game wasn't working all that much... The goal line play calling... There were other things, I'm sure. It's too bad this one wasn't on ESPN3, because it probably would have painted a clearer picture.

Edited by MeanMag

No, if he's in and the starter, you have to go with him. They played it right after he was in. You're right, it is easy to second guess, and you can't really say that people shouldn't. I wonder how bad Osborne has looked in practice or how good McNulty has looked for McNulty to have been the clear favorite. It's really, really easy to second guess when you can't watch those practices or get updates about them. Even the most trustful fan of Dan McCarney is validated in wondering about what's going on. Not that it's bad, but just how good or bad have they looked?

Like I said, I don't have a problem with him playing. Hell, his red shirt is burned, he needs to get playing time and often. I just question this start.

It might not have changed the outcome of the game. You're right, chances are it wouldn't. I too, think Tulsa is better than their record is. Though, In a game like that, you can question everything. The QB just gets the most visibility when they throw INTs. Running game wasn't working all that much... The goal line play calling... There were other things, I'm sure. It's too bad this one wasn't on ESPN3, because it probably would have painted a clearer picture.

There's WONDERING what's going on (which maybe 3 people have done), and then there's running with crackpot theories or thinking you absolutely know what's going on and can evaluate players based on a few snaps of garbage time (which is the vast majority of people here).

I don't view the pick-6s as even the biggest factors in the game, significant though they were. Goalline playcalling/execution, penalties, and complete inability of the defense to tackle made this an unwinnable game, regardless of who was behind center.

That Tulsa offense could've scored 60 on us without issue. They called off the dogs and got two pick-6s. Their average drive was like 7 plays and 1:45 or something. Ridiculous.

• Upvote 3