SBC, CUSA, Alliance...

Coach Andy Mac

Wright Waters on Alliance

January will be big...

Quote:"I think there's a huge moment in time coming up in January, when we see what they'll do in the BCS with the Mountain West request (for an automatic BCS berth)," Waters said. "I think if they get that, I think the (Conference USA-Mountain West) merger is probably off.

"If they don't get that, I think you'll see the merger between Conference USA and Mountain West, and that will reduce the number of conferences from 11 to 10. I think it'll be very difficult for the WAC and that could reduce the number to 9. It might also make it difficult for the Big East to remain a football league and that could drop it to 8.

"So when you're one of eight instead of one of 11, all of a sudden, you have a different profile and all the sustainability and stability that goes with it. So, I think this January is big."

View the full article

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

As much as I want to see it happen I don't see how the WAC folds.

The Mountain West would have to have its BCS bid denied. The MWC-CUSA merger would have to go forward.

The MWC would have to take a team from the WAC (Utah State or San Jose State) and the Sun Belt would have to take two teams (LA Tech and New Mexico State or UTSA).

I'll stay in the Sun Belt if we can get LA Tech, NMSU, and/or UTSA.

Adding Texas/New Mexico/Louisiana schools is just part of the solution. The SBC needs to jetison the bottom tier of the current league (e.g., MT, Troy, Monroe) to be attractive. That ain't gonna happen.

Edited by GTWT
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Adding Texas/New Mexico/Louisiana schools is just part of the solution. The SBC needs to jetison the bottom tier of the current league (e.g., MT, Troy, Monroe) to be attractive. That ain't gonna happen.

Really after the last 7 years you want to kick Troy, ULM, and MTSU??

MTSU has a slightly better overall athletic program, they were down this year, ULM ok I think they should drop back to Southland. Troy has kicked our ass for the past 6 of 7 years again they were down this year. We would be included in the bottom tier.

We need to win in the Belt consistently and not just in football.

Do the Lafayette fans realize they played a bowl game @ home basically? That level of attendance is expected, not extraordinary.

Not true. Lafayette is 135 miles from New Orleans. That's further from Denton to Waco - would you say NT playing in Waco was a home game?

Hattiesburg is just 111 and Southern Miss didn't bring that many fans when they were in the NOB. La Tech is much closer to Shreveport and in past Indy bowls they have not brought that many fans.

• Upvote 1

I love the indignant attitude on this board towards the SBC. Half our fans probably missed prom because they were convinced until the very end that the hot girl was gonna come around.

Amen, brother.

UNT fans need to embrace the Sun Belt while we're in the conference, because there's no guarantee we'll ever get an invite to a bigger one. Though the Belt is currently the lowest or second lowest conference in the FBS (depending on what you think of the WAC), it has steadily improved over the past five years and could catch the MAC, CUSA and MWC in the future. The southeast is the most fertile ground for college football in the U.S.

• Upvote 1

If no C-USA/MWC invitation is extended to us, the Sun Belt will be better off by not expanding. The conference is rapidly improving. We don't need any FCS programs, or LA Tech. I feel bad for NMSU, but at this time I don't think it's in the Sun Belt's interest to expand the footprint of the conference further west.

The Sun Belt is already better then the new WAC, and moving ahead of the MAC. After the AQs finish raiding, if the Belt is not raided by the C-USA or the MWC, both conferences will be weaker, and the Sun Belt will be in position to become a top non AQ conference. And, under this situiation, if the AQ status goes away, then the Belt will be on a fairly even level with C-USA and the MWC. Just my opinion.

Not true. Lafayette is 135 miles from New Orleans. That's further from Denton to Waco - would you say NT playing in Waco was a home game?

For a bowl, playing less than two hours' drive within your own state is definitely a home game.

Hattiesburg is just 111 and Southern Miss didn't bring that many fans when they were in the NOB. La Tech is much closer to Shreveport and in past Indy bowls they have not brought that many fans.

Yes, if we played a bowl game in Waco I would consider it a home game. Without a doubt. They also have a huge alumni base in New Orleans.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Belt would be crazy not to take back Louisiana Tech.

The Belt will look like fools if we invited LA Tech and they refused again. We don't need them. Ruston is a terrible market, LA Tech has bad support for a bowl team, and I can't see them affording the costs of playing competitive FBS football in the years to come, with a $15 million budget.

We don't need more teams.

• Upvote 2

I love the indignant attitude on this board towards the SBC. Half our fans probably missed prom because they were convinced until the very end that the hot girl was gonna come around.

To further your analogy....adding UTSA to an already weak and disrespected SBC is like realizing that all the pretty girls are already being taken to prom so you ask the fat ugly girl the night before just so you can say you have a date.

No thanks, I'd rather go stag.

Edited by Daddy Dumpsalot
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Just wait until FIU wins another bowl game and now you have some good name recognition in our league. College football fans know:

Troy

North Texas

FIU - coming on strong with Cristobal

Louisiana Lafayette - coming on

Arkansas State

Middle Tennessee

Who would of thought LaLa would raise the New Orleans Bowl bar to new heights.

Let's Go Belt! Keep it going!!!!!

GMG

• Upvote 1

Just wait until FIU wins another bowl game and now you have some good name recognition in our league. College football fans know:

Troy

North Texas

FIU - coming on strong with Cristobal

Louisiana Lafayette - coming on

Arkansas State

Middle Tennessee

Who would of thought LaLa would raise the New Orleans Bowl bar to new heights.

Let's Go Belt! Keep it going!!!!!

GMG

Totally agree... for now.

If CUSA/MWC came calling, then by all means: Let's Go CUSA/MWC! Keep it going!!!!!

dang it! I got sucked into a conference realignment thread... I think I'm delerious from too much Tony Mitchell

• Upvote 1

To further your analogy....adding UTSA to an already weak and disrespected SBC is like realizing that all the pretty girls are already being taken to prom so you ask the fat ugly girl the night before just so you can say you have a date.

I don't know the fat ugly girl could just lose some weight and get a makeover. If not you can always score big after the prom and just close your eyes shut and go at it. After all they need lovin too.

• Upvote 2

UTSA is another USF in the making. In five years, the Sun Belt will be kicking itself for not inviting them.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

The Belt will look like fools if we invited LA Tech and they refused again.

True, but I didn't say we should invite them. If LA Tech comes hat in hand to the Sun Belt after the WAC implodes further, the conference ought to take them back. It would benefit UNT and the Louisiana schools in the conference especially.

• Upvote 1