Q&A with UNT Women's Basketball Coach Aston

Mean Green 93-98

Courtesy: University of North Texas

Release: 06/23/2011

North Texas women's basketball coach Karen Aston took the reins of the program a little over two months ago and we had a chance to catch up with her and discuss a wide variety of different topics.

MeanGreenSports.com: It's been a little over two months since you have been on the job, does it seem like it's been that long?

Coach Aston: It's gone really quick and the process of it all has simply been a whirlwind. Time has gone by faster than I can blink it seems.

MeanGreenSports.com: What has been the biggest surprise that you have been encountered?

Coach Aston: You know when you have been doing it for a while nothing surprises you anymore. Maybe just the embracing of everyone. You can really tell that everyone on campus and inside the department wants this program to be successful.

I would say it's been more encouraging rather than surprising. The other area is the feedback we have been getting from people around the (DFW) metroplex. We have been reaching out to them and it's been really encouraging to see how much progress we have made with the high school coaches and the people in the community.

MeanGreenSports.com: When you on the recruiting trail, what are you pitching to the coaches and the kids about the program?

Coach Aston: I think the first thing you sell is the university. There is so much to offer here. Education has always been a positive and one of the things that is easy to sell here is that we have so many former players that have gone on to be huge successes in many different professions. Student athletes and their parents always want to know about academics and it's just really easy to talk about them and their accomplishments.

I also think the opportunity to come and make a difference in the program. I don't like to use the word rebuild because then you don't' speak of the past. I would rather tell talk about what an impact they can have on our program.

Link to MeanGreenSports Entire Article

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.