GoMeanGreen.com

FirefightnRick
For those who were there saw first hand the Hall to Quinn connection at Fouts for the very last time. I knew it wasn't going to be fair, but damn it was fun to see those guys go at it one more time.

Thank you to Kram1 and his bride for putting on a first class event. I hope we raised the bar this year in fund raising, and from the crowd that showed, we may have done just that.

Thank you to the Hiatt's for cooking some great barbecue.

Thank you to the refs, Texas Stranger and UNTFlyer, for giving up one of their days to help keep us all in line.

Thank you to the GMG.com board players for having the nerve to get out there in the heat and mix it up with ex college and pro's on the same field. We have some great athletes on this board for sure.

Thank you to RV for the stadium tour afterwards. Hearing our voices bounce off the student section from our seats on the home side just blew me away? This is going to be one of the best places in the state of Texas to watch a football game.

And thank you to all the great players who participated and gave us one more memory to take away for a lifetime today. We owe you guys for the great times, the great memories, and mostly, for the beautiful new stadium across the road. If it were not for you, Andy Blount, Weston Thaggard, Scott Hall, Johnny "The Mighty" Quinn, Montey Stevenson, Luke Condor, Cody Spencer and of course Andrew Smith and all the rest, if it were not for you we wouldn't have it in the first place. Im certain of that.

Thank you so much again to everyone involved. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again soon.

It's All Green and All Good!

Rick

MeanGreen61
DENTON, Texas - The Sun Belt Conference and ESPN have announced that three of North Texas' first four football games this fall will be televised on ESPN3.com. The season-opener at Florida International as well as the first two games in the brand new Mean Green Stadium versus Houston and Indiana will be carried to more than 70 million homes as part of package.

http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=1800&ATCLID=205157700

Harry

Mystery Transfer

By Harry, in GoMeanGreen.com,

We think the new football transfer from Arkansas is offensive guard Cam Feldt (6-4, 295). It appears he redshirted his freshman year at Arkansas.

Ryan Calendar's Scout Profile

Calendar is from Caddo Mills.

Cam Feldts Scout Profile.

Feldt is from Pilot Point.

Feldt's dad Blake is the new head coach at Hays and was the head coach at Celina prior.

Harry
Dan McCarney and his new staff at North Texas did a little research over the last few weeks to determine just how the Mean Green stacks up in the Sun Belt Conference.

What he found was another indication of how far UNT has to go heading into summer workouts that began Monday at the Mean Green Athletic Center.

McCarney added up all the heights and weights of players at Sun Belt schools and came up with an average that he compared to the players on UNT’s roster.

He wasn’t pleased with the results.

Click below to read the rest of the story:

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/sports/stories/DRC_unt_football_0607.3966afb61.html

Harry
UNT began summer workouts today. Summer is run strictly by the strength and conditioning staff, but it gave me a good reason to catch up with Dan McCarney this afternoon.

He had a few news items and interesting tidbits to share.

There are probably more important ones on the list, but let's cut right to the one people will be interested in.

Read the entire story by clicking below:

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2011/06/catching-up-with-dan-mccarney.html

Brett Vito
UNT announced today that Rick Watkins' contract will not be renewed.

Watkins was the head coach with the longest tenure at UNT. He took over as the Mean Green's head coach in 1997 after spending the 1992-97 seasons as an assistant coach.

He had some great times at UNT. He led UNT to five conference titles and was the Sun Belt Conference Coach of the Year four times from 2000 to 2005. Click below for in depth story:

DRC

TheTastyGreek
High School: Timberview (Mansfield)
AAU: Dallas Showtyme

Rivals listing: 74th prospect in the state per Texas Hoops in their early ranking of 2012 recruits
ESPN listing: Not yet fully evaluated

Rivals lists interest in/from 7 schools, most BCS. No confirmed offers (June 2011)

16th ranked prospect from DFW in the class of 2012 by Metroplex Hoops.

January 3rd 2011 article: “I think I’m a heady scoring guard that can play either the one or the two. I like an up tempo game which allows me to create and make plays, especially popping that open jumper.”

He's a FREQUENT user of Twitter. Remember: DO NOT COMMUNICATE with potential recruits! But, anyone who follows may be able to update on his comments pro/con on potential destinations. A quick scan suggests that Pye probably has much better spelling skills and critical judgment than Jarion Henry.

Harry
The Reboot has become a favored tool of the visual media in recent years. Emboldened perhaps by the success of a reimagined Battlestar Galactica tv series and the iconic Star Trek franchise, other intellecutal properties have been drawn to the idea of reinventing themselves. Once-proud franchises, ranging from Charlie's Angels to Spiderman, are infused with new blood, freshening up the screen with flashy new technological improvements, and doing it all in such a way that the audience buys it despite having a completely new cast of actors.

A successful reboot is exactly what the University of North Texas football program is attempting to do right now. A new stadium with all the accoutrements, a reimagined focus and direction, and a new cast of coaches are all intended to revive a franchise that even the most optimistic fan would categorize as disappointing.

Look forward to future episodes!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.