Official Attendance @ Apogee Opener

NorthTexan95

Below are is the attendance for every home game for the past four years including yearly averages. Tonight's 28,075 is about 2,500 below capacity. It is, however, the largest crowd of the past four year. If you want to remove 4K Houston fans then we would be at 24,075 which would only trail the Navy game by a couple thousand. However, if you want to play that game you should subtract more than 4k Navy fans from that game.

It's a little disappointing to not sell out but we came close and considering our recent history that says something. Also, I had a lot of friend attend the game who had not been in a while. All of them are raving on Facebook about how great the stadium is and what a great time they had. I think this word of mouth will help our attendance to grow over time.

At the end of the year it'll be interesting to compare our worst home attendance games with the worst games from the past few years.

EDIT: In 2007 we came close to averaging 20k for the year. A horrible bad weather game (and bad season) against Western Kentucky kept us from it. I'm really wondering if we can average 20K this year. I think it will take getting on roll and good weather but it's possible.

1 Rice 23,473

2 Louisiana-Lafayette 17,015

3 Arkansas St 14,589

4 Florida International 14,718

5 Troy 14,289

6 Kansas St 21,952

Average 17,673

1 Ohio 16,674

2 Middle Tennessee St 22,364

3 Florida Atlantic 23,319

4 Western Kentucky 11,214

5 Louisiana-Monroe 12,167

6 Army 23,647

Average 18,231

1 Tulsa 22,785

2 Florida International 16,781

3 Louisiana-Lafayette 17,106

4 Troy 18,345

5 Arkansas State 9,761

Average 16,956

1 Florida Atlantic 20,479

2 Louisiana-Monroe 18,973

3 Middle Tenessee St 18,181

4 Navy 26,012

5 Western Kentucky 5,027

Average 17,734

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I just don't get how the parking/walking in was that hard for so many. CoogFans is just tearing into the experience because of that.

I parked where I always did for games at Fouts, and just walked a little farther over the 35 bridge. Five more minutes of walking isn't often a bad thing, you know. Friends were parked in the lot down by Victory, tailgated there, awesome time.

Leaving the game, no problem. Strolled out with a big group back that way, Police managing traffic well, no problems at all.

• Upvote 2

Those were all full paying ticket holders last night. I noticed that it was on 3/4 full well into the 1st quarter. Guess where those fans were? Standing in line for 'walk up tix'

I think our fans will know to buy tickets in advance from now on. There were some grumblings about only have end zone seats available. Those upper decks in the expanded Houston section were unsold Houston tix. Yes we sent them 4k tix but they did not sell them all (at least it didn't look like they sold them).

Personally I would rather break the attendance record with momentum. The crowd was solid and gives us room to grow.

• Upvote 1

How about the fact that parking in this stadium was one of the hardest things to figure out. I paid $20 for what I thought was gonna be a close to the field spot, but we ended up having to circle around 3 times cause nobody had a clue what was going on. Also, the beer vendors i.e. Miller Lite and Bud Light have to charge for beer that they used to give away cause the stadium told them to.

Definitely didn't feel like a tailgating experience when everything is so spread out and you can't access your car cause you parked 10 miles away.

Thank God Apogee is footing the bill for our stadium otherwise we would've defaulted by next game.

Horrible points all the way around.

How about the fact that parking in this stadium was one of the hardest things to figure out. I paid $20 for what I thought was gonna be a close to the field spot, but we ended up having to circle around 3 times cause nobody had a clue what was going on. Also, the beer vendors i.e. Miller Lite and Bud Light have to charge for beer that they used to give away cause the stadium told them to.

Definitely didn't feel like a tailgating experience when everything is so spread out and you can't access your car cause you parked 10 miles away.

Thank God Apogee is footing the bill for our stadium otherwise we would've defaulted by next game.

I totally agree. I didn't get any freebies either! Plus I sat at my house all morning waiting for someone from the athletic dept to come to my house and drive me to the game...and when I got there...no one would personally read my parking pass (Which I had to pay EXTRA for!) or tickets to me.

I may not be back.

How DARE the athletic dept ask anyone to charge for anything. We need more free stuff and more hand holding if we are ever going to be big time.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

Houston only drew 5k more because our stadium only holds 31k. I think your program and UH's program are very similar from a few years ago. It took a committed administration to really start our ascent. And a whole lot of leg work from dedicated alums and students to rally the support. Great job on the beautiful stadium, you have us beat there. Looking forward to seeing you guys in Houston next year. Good luck to the rest of your season. I will be following your team and rooting for you. GMG!

Thanks UHCoog98:

Another fellow NT alum and I walked about 1/8'th of a mile from the Super Pit area to Apogee with the head honcho of what I believe you call your athletic fundraising arm, ie, the "H Association" (or something to that effect). He really didn't know where to go so we introduced ourselves & told him to come wiith us and we would show him the way. En route, we had a nostalgic discussion about UH past greatsBo Burris (from my home county & Freeport) as well as Warren McVae, Kenny Hebert, Paul Gipson, Elvin Hayes, etc, etc, etc, Of course, he knew all of them well since they are part of his group. I told him I grew up down on the Coast and was a former Coog fan (even over the Longhorns & Aggies) during my youth. He was blown away by what he saw when we arrived at The Hill looking down into Apogee Stadium. We parted ways and wished each other a good season for our respective teams. He was a very nice man to a couple of strangers wearing Mean Green.

And we do wish for he Coog's a great BCS bowl buster kind of season!:thumbsu: (and yes, we'd love to help yall open your new stadium once started and completed)! {:>)

Attendance? A moot point now but I saw NT students coming in large numbers who seemed to not get stamped or bar coded and it seems that much of the game there had to be well over a thousand students standing on the concourse and/or were under the Wing Section "shaded" concessions area milling around watching the game on the flat screens. I felt if they had gone to that small vacant seats spot in south upper deck student section, they would have filled it easily. No, I didn't take the SMU Stadium Attendance Counter Course 101, but I think there were closer to 30,000 & some change inside our stadium at one point. Not having a winning season in awhile affects most programs at our level very much so last night's attendance was a moral victory in many ways.

My old ex NT room mate as well as long time friend (I sang at his wedding); anyhow, we loved sitting in the Wing Section and said that he even preferred it over the 50 yard line area he used to sit at Fouts & that because the lines of sight at Apogee are great (even in the end zone) and......you could watch all the plays as they developed.

Like many of you newbies and those of us who have been around a few decades, there was a point during all the festivities that I got a bit choked up & teary eye'd, but I wouldn't trade any of my 38 year North Texas experience for what I witnessed on Saturday evening, September 10, 2011, at the University of North Texas new Taj Majal'esque football palace...Apogee Stadium.

GMG!

PS: Can you imagine how great all this will be when Coach McCarney puts a great football team inside Apogee Stadium?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

Houston only drew 5k more because our stadium only holds 31k. I think your program and UH's program are very similar from a few years ago. It took a committed administration to really start our ascent. And a whole lot of leg work from dedicated alums and students to rally the support. Great job on the beautiful stadium, you have us beat there. Looking forward to seeing you guys in Houston next year. Good luck to the rest of your season. I will be following your team and rooting for you. GMG!

Good luck the rest of the way. Hopefully at the end of the season, we will end up with only 3 losses to Top 25 programs.

And, by all means, in a few years when you get your new stajium, give us a shout to come in and return the favor :thumbsu:

• Upvote 1

Those were all full paying ticket holders last night. I noticed that it was on 3/4 full well into the 1st quarter. Guess where those fans were? Standing in line for 'walk up tix'

I think our fans will know to buy tickets in advance from now on. There were some grumblings about only have end zone seats available. Those upper decks in the expanded Houston section were unsold Houston tix. Yes we sent them 4k tix but they did not sell them all (at least it didn't look like they sold them).

Personally I would rather break the attendance record with momentum. The crowd was solid and gives us room to grow.

Came to the game with the wife and parents(who came from an hour away). Even though the team lost, everyone is making plans to come to the next game. Things are changing in the attitude towards NT football. We just need to start winning games.

• Upvote 2

Came to the game with the wife and parents(who came from an hour away). Even though the team lost, everyone is making plans to come to the next game. Things are changing in the attitude towards NT football. We just need to start winning games.

The wins will come. After the improvement between the FIU and Houston games, probably sooner rather than later.

You have to be a member (or guest of a member) of the UNT Alumni Association to get into the Alumni Pavillion to drink (though we had an open house of sorts at the Houston game).

You have to be a club level seat ticket holder to get into the club level to drink.

If you want to get a good look at exactly the type of attitude that has plagued UNT for many years, just read the above post. PATHETIC. Obviously has no clue, and I doubt, with the attitude displayed, ever will.

• Upvote 1

If you want to get a good look at exactly the type of attitude that has plagued UNT for many years, just read the above post. PATHETIC. Obviously has no clue, and I doubt, with the attitude displayed, ever will.

He needs to support one of the Denton High Schools where everything is smaller in scale and closer for his walking convenience.

• Upvote 1

---I was at the game (sec.208) and thought the crowd was a very good one... not a sell out but very good... Even the end zone "wing" looked good with only the top tips looking a bit bare. The challenge now will be to be to stay close to it from here on this year... Houston provided quite a few fans and this was the first game of the season and at a new stadium.

---There should be no doubt to others that our crowds would be excellent if we played in a conference with nearby opponents and more recognizable names...

--The game was a good one... we hung tough until mid 3rd quarter when finally their QB began to show why he is considered for post season honors. I enjoyed the experience...including the tailgating with friends and family.