North Texas - Tony Mitchell - Three More Years

97and03

My take is that this is really designed to stir up more interest in the team. It is fun and reminds people to come out and see the team. It points out to fans and students that Tony might not be here next year, so if you want to see this NBA caliber player, you might want to do it now.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

3 more years is not happening...

for one he has already completed a year of college.

#2 - If he stays for a 2nd season I would find it highly unlikely he does not declare in 2013

a more realistic campaign would be "one more year"

• Upvote 1

#2 - If he stays for a 2nd season I would find it highly unlikely he does not declare in 2013

Realism? Here? Don't count on it! I really hope he will stick around for at least one more year(see-even I can't help it sometimes). In the mean time I am just going to enjoy the show.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If Case Keenum can play till he gets his social security check then we can beg Mitchell to stay three more years.

Edited by Eastwood Eagle

Stupid Idea

I agree. If you wanna stop getting treated like you're small-time, then you gotta stop acting like it. I'm all for him staying around, but you don't see the big schools campaigning to keep their freshmen during the middle of the season.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

I agree. If you wanna stop getting treated like you're small-time, then you gotta stop acting like it. I'm all for him staying around, but you don't see the big schools campaigning to keep their freshmen during the middle of the season.

I seem to remember Texas doing similar stuff to try and keep Kevin Durant and Vince Young around.

• Upvote 4

Honestly, I think this is the dumbest marketing UNT has ever done... You dont see schools telling their top players to stay Durant, Wall, Rose, Irving, Williams, T. Thompson, the list goes on... saying this.. Think about the player, this is a once in a life time opportunity to fill your fantasy/goal in life...

Yes it would be great to have him 4 years but if you have an opportunity to be a top pick, leave the program and do it... This is not football, you dont stay 3 or 4 years and then leave, its one/two and done

Why put this kind of pressure on a college kid, let him make his own decision... You forget that there is more to life than UNT basketball

BTW, yes a college degree is important but when youre career is basketball, thats what you do.. Play basketball. You can always get an education after, basketball wont always be their, but an education will.

Good examples is the recent UNT basketball player that graduated this past year, i dont know his name but he was in his 40's.. Coach Weaver, played in the NFL and had a good career became a GA at Florida. Yes a Graduate Assistant isnt the same as an undergrad but he still went back to school

Edited by Dr. Seuss
  • Downvote 5

Everybody needs to relax. It's just a marketing campaign to get more students involved and more exposure. I'm certain that North Texas truly wants what's best for Tony whether that means staying longer at UNT or going pro.

• Upvote 4

I seem to remember Texas doing similar stuff to try and keep Kevin Durant and Vince Young around.

Vince Young went to Texas for 4 years and graduated. For every Andrew Luck there is 10x more Matt Leinart's who drop from the top. Its nearly impossible to be the highest rated player in the draft 2 years in a row.... I know where talking about basketball but football is the only comparison I can think of, I wonder why???

Edited by Dr. Seuss

Honestly, I think this is the dumbest marketing UNT has ever done... You dont see schools telling their top players to stay Durant, Wall, Rose, Irving, Williams, T. Thompson, the list goes on... saying this.. Think about the player, this is a once in a life time opportunity to fill your fantasy/goal in life...

Yes it would be great to have him 4 years but if you have an opportunity to be a top pick, leave the program and do it... This is not football, you dont stay 3 or 4 years and then leave, its one/two and done

Why put this kind of pressure on a college kid, let him make his own decision... You forget that there is more to life than UNT basketball

BTW, yes a college degree is important but when youre career is basketball, thats what you do.. Play basketball. You can always get an education after, basketball wont always be their, but an education will.

Good examples is the recent UNT basketball player that graduated this past year, i dont know his name but he was in his 40's.. Coach Weaver, played in the NFL and had a good career became a GA at Florida. Yes a Graduate Assistant isnt the same as an undergrad but he still went back to school

Even Tony gets in on the act at the end saying he approved this message. He is having fun with it and so should everyone here. I love seeing something done to help promote the team and Tony. He is a huge draw and we may never have someone like him here again (I certainly hope not, but Tasty once said something about Tony being the highest rated recruit ever for Mizzou so that tells you how rare this is).

If he stays for next year we will be a force to be reckoned with, and not just in the Belt. He is getting good grades, having fun and enjoying himself here. Let's hope that a combination of projected draft position, things he wants to work on in his game and a great, fun college experience are enough for him to stay one more year. Then he leaves as a top 10 pick and we get to see Tony Mitchell-North Texas flash up on the screen as they get ready to call his name before we welcome the next highly rated recruit since they now know for sure they can get to the NBA from here.

• Upvote 1

Love TM, but unless he stay another year to work on his ability to consistently create his own shot, he is going to be a defender and rebounder and garbage scored in the league.

The kid is an athletic freak, but he can be bodied down low and more than likely he is going to be playing the 3/4 at the next level. He needs to gain more strength and become more adept at both the back to the basket and face up game. Right now he is getting by on his athleticism. He will not have that overwhelming advantage in the NBA...

plus 1. MTSU did a good job of shutting him down last night in comparision to his other performances. while it may sound self serving, he could benefit from another year of college ball.

Maybe the administration itself in some of those schools Dr. Seuess mentioned didn't try to make the kids stay longer, but nearly every one he mentioned had a groundswell of people trying to get them to stay. Especially Kyrie Irving, since he played all of 11 games in his college career because that toe injury.

Maybe the administration itself in some of those schools Dr. Seuess mentioned didn't try to make the kids stay longer, but nearly every one he mentioned had a groundswell of people trying to get them to stay. Especially Kyrie Irving, since he played all of 11 games in his college career because that toe injury.

Yes. This is what I was referring to. I guess it was misinterpreted. Sure, the students should campaign for him to say, but never in my life have I seen something like this come from the administration level.