New UNT FB Commit: OL Harrsion Sorge, Wichita Falls Ryder

NT03

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

As an old Wichita Falls boy, it really makes me feel good to see coach Mac and his assistants working that area. There is some great football tradition at the Old High School as well, but Rider High is obviously a place to find some big time talent.

• Upvote 1

Give that guy a RS and a weightroom and he could very well turn out to be a real monster for us. Looks to have a good motor on him, and he certainly looks impressive on the field as a Junior. Mac & Co. sure are stacking the OL for the future.

• Upvote 2

"And then there’s the offense. This is where we ran into our biggest problem, and his name is Mario Edwards. He is a 6’4 285-pound senior defensive end for Denton Ryan, who has already committed to the Florida State. In the August edition of ESPN the magazine, he was ranked as the No. 3 player in every division of high school football and by far the best defensive end. You could recognize him before the game incredibly easily. He was the one who was casually walking around while his team warmed up. He also wore a chain wrapped around his body while he warmed up. Oh yeah, and he was also one of the biggest human beings I’ve ever seen, and I’m the same age as him!

But, I’d say we have the perfect solution to this problem. During the comeback, the offense was still able to conduct itself nicely. JT Barrett had plenty of time to let his pass plays develop. Our plethora of running backs (especially Dominic Thrasher and Anthony Wagner) had holes to burst through. All of this largely due to 6’4 283-pound junior offensive lineman Harrison Sorge, who was matched up against Mario Edwards.

During the comeback, Sorge went toe to toe with Edwards every down of those 33 minutes, and basically shut him down. Sorge held Edwards to two tackles the entire game, which is a monumental accomplishment considering Edwards averaged that many sacks a game last season. If Sorge would not have played as lights out as he did, we never would have come back."

Read more: http://www.theriderchronicle.com/sports/2011/10/07/raiders-hold-their-own-against-top-ranked-ryan/

At the start of the season, some were saying District 4-4A was going to be Denton Ryan and the six dwarfs.

The main reason for that is Ryan's defense, which has two ends committed to Florida State and Baylor and a pair of linebackers headed to Texas and Texas A&M.

Mario Edwards, the 6-4, 285-pound defensive end going to Florida State, is being called the best high school defensive lineman in the country.

But there was young Harrison Sorge going mano-to-mano with Mr. Edwards all night long.

To me, the Sorge vs. Edwards matchup was a microcosm of this entire game.

Ryan's talented defensive end was in on just one or two tackles. The rest of the evening, he was silent — thanks to Rider's left tackle.

After the game, the big defensive end tipped his helmet to Sorge and his teammates.

"They came prepared and played their butts off," Edwards said. "It was really a tough game for both teams."

Read more: http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2011/oct/07/rider-didnt-win-but-sure-showed-its-a-solid-team/?partner=RSS

Looks like a good pick up, but I wonder about the number of offensive linemen, 4 on offense and 0 on defense thus far. With 10 underclassmen already on the team, it makes you wonder: Y'Barbo, Lemon, Johnson, Shaw, Ellerd, Thompson, Feldt, Feldt, Renfro and Trussell. Perhaps it is a case of just going after the best athletes, but looking at the team; there appear to be a lot of bigger need areas. Dickey and Dodge both seldom substituted ol and therefore carried relatively few offensive linemen on the team, maybe McCarney wants to establish a rotation. It is clear that he wants size along the front line.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Looks like a good pick up, but I wonder about the number of offensive linemen, 4 on offense and 0 on defense thus far. With 10 underclassmen already on the team, it makes you wonder: Y'Barbo, Lemon, Johnson, Shaw, Ellerd, Thompson, Feldt, Feldt, Renfro and Trussell. Perhaps it is a case of just going after the best athletes, but looking at the team; there appear to be a lot of bigger need areas. Dickey and Dodge both seldom substituted ol and therefore carried relatively few offensive linemen on the team, maybe McCarney wants to establish a rotation. It is clear that he wants size along the front line.

Personally, I'm glad to see McCarney focus on offensive linemen. Hope he creates a rotation. I've always been critical of Dickey and Dodge not bringing in enough, quality linemen. Sure, they would sign 2-3 good ones each class, but on occasion we would have one drop from the program for whatever reason. Other programs bring in several big linemen each year. I know. I've watched them manhandle our DL on many occasions. And don't forget, none of these recruits have signed on the dotted line.

I also think DMac needs to shift focus to DL, QB, and LB.

• Upvote 1

Happy with the number of OLs/TEs in the program under McCarney. Would like to see two or three DTs per class from here on out as well.

Not so beat a dead horse, but under Dodge, many WRs signed at the beginning of his tenure; with McCarney, it's OLs. Good stuff. In any offense, a quarterback can't execute plays without protection.

• Upvote 1

This is good stuff... I think they are taking the best players available and committing to UNT.

I am starting to think that along with a good coaching staff at UNT comes molding your plan of attack to what your strengths are... I am gonna bet that with O line obviously a priority, we might actually have a healthy QB for more games...and have a running game that can compete.

Against those bigger programs, depth and wearing down is what causes the smaller programs to wilt if you happen to have some sort of a miracle lead... depth in the o-line might help tremendously with the potential for an upset... obviously we need the same sort of depth up front on the d-line... we'll see... I bet with this type of depth, Chico can do some pretty decent things too... what have we bitched about for the past 8 years, we need to recruit size and speed...well, the size is there...maybe not "top end" type of commits, but this is size and hopefully coachable kids with motivation/work ethic. I trust in DMAC until it is proven we shouldn't at this point. last season bought some serious faith equity... Love the size.

• Upvote 3

I wonder if maybe they see a player who projects at DT in one of these 4 o line commits all at least 6'5 260+. Given their height, probably not but maybe one of these big bodies can also play DT, that would be great.

This is my thought. Get the biggest, best athetes available, and figure out positions as you go. Shear numbers would indicate at least one of these young men move to the other side of the ball.

• Upvote 1