MGN: 2014 UNT Team Preview

Mean_Green09

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Great job as always, Greg. I have some questions about the depth chart.

Very interesting that you had Wade ahead of Warner at FS. I'm sure health played a lot into that decision for you. You had Whitfield behind Jones, which he's probably our first corner off the bench regardless of side, but Whitfield has been short side of the field corner where Buyers is, while Chad Davis is on the short side behind Jones. On the d-line you had Moore behind Orr at nose, and Tauaalo behind Lincoln at 3-tech. Moore was listed behind Lincoln at the 3-tech coming out of spring and he's more of a penetrator than a block-eater at 252 lbs, so I'd think Tauaalo is more fitting at nose behind Orr.

On offense you had Harris outside and Kidsy in the slot. Is that more opinion of where you think they should be or has there been a position change? Because it was the other way coming out of spring. Also, I'm interested to see if this late JUCO signee Darren Dennuci starts at right tackle and they move Lemon back inside. McKinney looks solid, so we're good either way, but you usually don't sign a 23 year-old JUCO kid to develop. So I'm sure he'll be given a shot. If Greer starts at qb and can keep his interceptions down to 7 like you project, that would be great news for us going forward.

Anyways, I don't get to talk in-depth about our roster like this very often, even on here. So it's cool to see other views and outlooks on our roster.

• Upvote 4

On the DL I was just trying to project the rotation rather than the technique. Your right though TJ will be more of the space eater behind Orr. I did the same thing with corners list the 4 best. Whitfield will be the 1st corner off the bench and the nickel which he played so well last yr. At safety I went with Wade just bc I thought he looked a lil better. I imagine though they will split time. Warner is such a good athlete great initial step.

At the WR I think Harris will line up outside most of the time. I do think they move him around like BC. In Gun sets I bet you see Terrell line up in the slot bc he is almost like another TE out there. Plus he is great across the middle big target.

The OL is interesting bc we all know how good Lemon is at G so why mess with that? I think it's bc they just want to get their 5 best guys on the field. I'm interested like you to see where Denuccui ends up and if Rentfro can push for starting time.

• Upvote 3

Very interesting that you had Wade ahead of Warner at FS. I'm sure health played a lot into that decision for you. You had Whitfield behind Jones, which he's probably our first corner off the bench regardless of side, but Whitfield has been short side of the field corner where Buyers is, while Chad Davis is on the short side behind Jones.

UNT has a field corner and boundary corner. The field cb (buyers) is the wide side of the field. Whitfield once play the field corner, but has been moved to boundary. Boundary corners usually stick to the flats becuase it's the short side of the field and it's an easier, and quicker throw for the QB. Since it's the short side, it's usually safety help over the top. The field corner is on an island a lot of the time.

I don't really like the whole field/boundary corner stuff that some colleges do, but i like the move for Whitfield. Since he has been moved, it may be a battle for that spot. James Jones will really have to have a good pre season to get that spot back.

Whitfield came in on the nickel, but actually played corner at times last year, while buyers slid to nickel. Not sure how the switching of corners change that this year.

Edited by GOMG2013
  • Upvote 1

On the DL I was just trying to project the rotation rather than the technique. Your right though TJ will be more of the space eater behind Orr. I did the same thing with corners list the 4 best. Whitfield will be the 1st corner off the bench and the nickel which he played so well last yr. At safety I went with Wade just bc I thought he looked a lil better. I imagine though they will split time. Warner is such a good athlete great initial step.

At the WR I think Harris will line up outside most of the time. I do think they move him around like BC. In Gun sets I bet you see Terrell line up in the slot bc he is almost like another TE out there. Plus he is great across the middle big target.

The OL is interesting bc we all know how good Lemon is at G so why mess with that? I think it's bc they just want to get their 5 best guys on the field. I'm interested like you to see where Denuccui ends up and if Rentfro can push for starting time.

Interesting. Yeah, personally I think Warner starts if he's healthy. But Wade has been another great walkon transfer.

As for Harris, I think the days of us having undersized outside receivers or former walkons may be over. With Terrell, Kidsy, Goree, and some guys down the line like Rutherford and current commit Rodney Bendy, I think we'll be able to keep Harris inside. Not a bad thing and he is good enough to play outside, but he does great damage inside. I'm sure we will move him around.

The reason you mentioned is why Terrell played slot last year and was listed behind Harris in the slot. But I think he does better outside, although he could be used there as well. Marcus Smith filling that role more frequently will have something to do with that as well. And that's exactly why they had Lemon at tackle in the spring, but Denucci may change things. Or he may not. We'll see.

UNT has a field corner and boundary corner. The field cb (buyers) is the wide side of the field. Whitfield once play the field corner, but has been moved to boundary. Boundary corners usually stick to the flats

Sorry. Reread my post. I accidentally said short side of the field twice. I said Jones plays the short side of the field (which he does, like you said), but I accidentally said Whitfield and Buyers play the short side too. I meant the wide side, or field corner.

Has Whitfield been officially moved to the short side? I thought he was just playing that in the spring temporarily while Jones was injured. Although he seems to be our first corner off the bench, regardless of side.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

In your estimation will Sid Moore play tackle or end? I read in Athlon they project him to start at defensive end. I think he could replace Sarge there.

I believe he will play tackle bc that's where they need the most help. I think they feel comfortable with Mason, Roberts, Dilonga, and Polk on the outside. I like Moore at tackle too bc I think he is a scrappy fast DT. Great guy to bring in passing downs.

Interesting. Yeah, personally I think Warner starts if he's healthy. But Wade has been another great walkon transfer.

As for Harris, I think the days of us having undersized outside receivers or former walkons may be over. With Terrell, Kidsy, Goree, and some guys down the line like Rutherford and current commit Rodney Bendy, I think we'll be able to keep Harris inside. Not a bad thing and he is good enough to play outside, but he does great damage inside. I'm sure we will move him around.

The reason you mentioned is why Terrell played slot last year and was listed behind Harris in the slot. But I think he does better outside, although he could be used there as well. Marcus Smith filling that role more frequently will have something to do with that as well. And that's exactly why they had Lemon at tackle in the spring, but Denucci may change things. Or he may not. We'll see.

I'd love to see some 4 wide sets with Terrell and Smith in the Slot. Or have Smith in the H-back position. He could really make this offense dynamic with his ability. I just hope he has improved his hands.

Kenny Buyers is our best corner tackler. Zac has made tremendous strides (and even come up with timely INTs) but he gets caught ball watching and is vulnerable to double-moves. And this was all while having a bawl-hawking center fielder safety.

It is a chicken/egg thing though. They don't get beat on double moves if the offense doesn't have time to throw. And D-Line gets to the QB more often if they can pin their ears back on an obvious passing down. Which means the DBs are tackling well and not allowing those quick throws that serve as short yard runs.

Biggest reason UTSA sliced up the defense is that Kenny B and co weren't themselves tackling.

• Upvote 2

While I may disagree (slightly) on some of the depth and evaluations this is such an outstanding job that I will save any differences for another time and place. This is real PhilSteel-like analysis and I mean that in a very complimentary way.

I have done some similar detailed analysis in the past for my own edification and I know the work that goes into that type of report. Greatly appreciated.

• Upvote 4

Has Whitfield been officially moved to the short side? I thought he was just playing that in the spring temporarily while Jones was injured. Although he seems to be our first corner off the bench, regardless of side.

From what I gather, coming out if spring is that Whitfield has been moved to boundary. Jjones may have to fight him for that spot. Boundary is a better spot for Whitfield where he can concentrate on the flats and have a safety playing behind him.

If jjones get the boundary back, im not sure how that effects nickel. when whit came in, he played corner and buyers slid to nickel. If whit is only considered a boundary corner, either he or Davis could come in depending on the situation. I assume in either situation, buyers slide to nickel back while someone takes a corner.

If whit is only considered a strong flats player, I could see Davis coming in on 3rd and long instead of whit, asuming whit doesnt start.

• Upvote 2