Jackson State (12/8/12)

CMJ

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Like the earlier posters pointed out, Benford should be fired for this performance. Any UNT coach that can't beat Jackson State by more than 20 should be fired.

:D

If we actually pull out of this death spiral, the Benford bit is gonna be just as awesome as the JJ one was.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Maybe the team will actually be a team next year when TM is gone?

Or maybe just when Benford is gone...

Please explain to me why Benford is bad?

There was a guy a few rows up from me who seemed to complain about Benford the whole game. Like he did not even watch the game. What is it with people wanting to jump on the coach so much that they do not even watch the game? He complained about every little thing. "Yea Benford keep yelling and clapping you sure are coaching".... watch the game people!

We should have won by more then 20 but I will take the win for sure.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

My problem with Benford is that it seems like the team is not prepared for every game. It seems as if there is no plan or scheme to get the ball down low and make high percentage shots or get fouled with some of the awesome talent we have in the post. The team is too content to take poor, long range jumpers when they have not been making them consistently.

Edited by Andrew Balettie
  • Upvote 2

Please explain to me why Benford is bad?

There was a guy a few rows up from me who seemed to complain about Benford the whole game. Like he did not even watch the game. What is it with people wanting to jump on the coach so much that they do not even watch the game? He complained about every little thing. "Yea Benford keep yelling and clapping you sure are coaching".... watch the game people!

We should have won by more then 20 but I will take the win for sure.

We do, that's why we then have to look to the coach to figure out why the hell were seeing what were seeing.

Edited by filmerj
  • Upvote 2

I am sure there are better coaches, but I will still stand by Benford. It is the coaches job to be prepared and give the players options. It is the players choice once on the court to make the decision for themselves. He has been a D1 assistant coach for some years. If you do not believe that he gives his team options and plays to capitalize on their advantages I do not know what to say. The players are just choosing a different option. The PG is the coach on the floor and it really all runs through him. When CJ matures a bit more and takes on that leadership and makes wise choices this team will be very very good.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

No doubt that Benford has showed some signs of WTF out there, but he is our WTF at this point and he isn't likely to be going anywhere soon (unless some of you plan on $tepping up), so don't see the point in tearing him down. The players had a large role in that lackluster effort in the first half. Actually kind of encouraging that Benford was able to somewhat motivate them at halftime.

He may not be the HC that JJ is at this point in his career by any means, but he will improve as he learns (or he will be gone, eventually). I am more focused on his ability to recruit players that can replace the ones we currently have, to keep this from being a "one shot deal".

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I am sure there are better coaches, but I will still stand by Benford. It is the coaches job to be prepared and give the players options. It is the players choice once on the court to make the decision for themselves. He has been a D1 assistant coach for some years. If you do not believe that he gives his team options and plays to capitalize on their advantages I do not know what to say. The players are just choosing a different option. The PG is the coach on the floor and it really all runs through him. When CJ matures a bit more and takes on that leadership and makes wise choices this team will be very very good.

There's a reason parents don't let kids choose between ice cream and vegetables.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 1

There's a reason parents don't let kids choose between ice cream and vegetables.

You have to have options in basketball. Otherwise you would get shut down all day. You run a basic offense and know you options from there. If this was jot the case why roll offs off the pick and roll? You would just go the hoop for the lay up ever time, because you do not need another option. Bad example because the pick and roll is not anmoffense nor a play but it still works for the example.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Glad the team woke up in the second half, the first half was bad even the way they have been playing this year. Having a winless SWAC playing you even for 30 minutes is horrible. I am always sympathetic to SWAC teams though; Jackson State plays 11 away games non-conference. They have lost to Baylor by 31, Tulsa by 20, Tex Tech by 9 and Air Force by 29.

At this point, I think Trilli is a better basketball coach than Benford at least on the offensive side. An out manned JSU played Mitchell almost straight and NT still couldn't take advantage for most of the night. Parameter defense is horrible.

I did think Tony after coming in after the injury probably played as hard as he as all year. That dunk earlier in the first half, was fantastic. I don't know why he doesn't drive to the basket more often. Standing under the basket he is easy to defend, and every team like St. Louis will be happy to let him be a 15 foot jump shooter.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 3

You have to have options in basketball. Otherwise you would get shut down all day. You run a basic offense and know you options from there. If this was jot the case why roll offs off the pick and roll? You would just go the hoop for the lay up ever time, because you do not need another option. Bad example because the pick and roll is not anmoffense nor a play but it still works for the example.

No question, but you have to coach decision making.

• Upvote 1

Glad the team woke up in the second half, the first half was bad even the way they have been playing this year. Having a winless SWAC playing you even for 30 minutes is horrible. I am always sympathetic to SWAC teams though; Jackson State plays 11 away games non-conference. They have lost to Baylor by 31, Tulsa by 20, Tex Tech by 9 and Air Force by 29.

At this point, I think Trilli is a better basketball coach than Benford at least on the offensive side. An out manned JSU played Mitchell almost straight and NT still couldn't take advantage for most of the night. Parameter defense is horrible.

I did think Tony after coming in after the injury probably played as hard as he as all year. That dunk earlier in the first half, was fantastic. I don't know why he doesn't drive to the basket more often. Standing under the basket he is easy to defend, and every team like St. Louis will be happy to let him be a 15 foot jump shooter.

Agreed, I think maybe we should start every game with Tony getting pushed and a double tech. Soon as those things happened, everyone played harder.

• Upvote 1

Who else noticed that Censored By Laurie was "in the house" for the Jackson State game? Always good to see our pseudo-yankee brethren Mean Greeners back home for a change. Glad to have you with us CBL....you need to get back down this way more often. Good to see your running mates with you as well. Hope lots of folks got to say hello. :goodjob: