Interview with UNT AD Wren Baker - Part 1

Coach Andy Mac

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

It's great to have NIL rules, but without an NCAA with any backbone it's a joke. How will they enforce? Will they make examples of the smaller schools or actually go after the P5's?

I think we all know the answer to the that question.  Penn State had a former coach use his association with the football team get access to children to assault them.  They got a hard slap on the wrist. 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Pissed 3
  • Eye Roll 1

The NIL and baseball/Title IX stuff was fascinating. Wren definitely has a way of talking to pull me back in. I honestly just don't understand his affection for a below .500 coach in a sport you acknowledge drives the bus for athletic revenue. I get a lot of it is financially driven, but is that worth making no money from empty stadiums, lower concessions, and lack of fan interest due to a losing program?

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I honestly just don't understand his affection for a below .500 coach in a sport you acknowledge drives the bus for athletic revenue. I get a lot of it is financially driven, but is that worth making no money from empty stadiums, lower concessions, and lack of fan interest due to a losing program?

Agree.  It's not just the financial loss on the program for all the above, it's also the negative perception of the football program in media and to outsiders.   Ranked #106 of 131.   14-21 in last three years.  Hard to justify keeping the coach of that around. 

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

The NIL and baseball/Title IX stuff was fascinating. Wren definitely has a way of talking to pull me back in. I honestly just don't understand his affection for a below .500 coach in a sport you acknowledge drives the bus for athletic revenue. I get a lot of it is financially driven, but is that worth making no money from empty stadiums, lower concessions, and lack of fan interest due to a losing program?

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

Agree.  It's not just the financial loss on the program for all the above, it's also the negative perception of the football program in media and to outsiders.   Ranked #106 of 131.   14-21 in last three years.  Hard to justify keeping the coach of that around. 

We have won 5 of our last 6 games. He probably wants to see how this plays out with Bennett in his second season and a hopefully fully-healthy offense.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2

3 hours ago, NT80 said:

It’s even harder to fire a friend. 🤔

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1